What Private aircraft would you buy? | FerrariChat

What Private aircraft would you buy?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by F360@20, Feb 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Just looking at the bling bling thread- If you could purchase a private jet what would it be and why. Try and keep it to aircraft a person could buy not what a GOV. would buy (f-16, f14s)
    Like gulfstreams or leers, king airs... or like trump a 727.

And to Thecarreaper- What do you see purchased most and what do you think is the best?

2. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Gulfstream IV, Lear is too small, Citation is too slow, Beech is a Beech.

If you had all kinds of cash 737 BBJ.

3. DallasGuy

DallasGuy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2002
    Frisco TX
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    I have been on everything from the smallest turbprops to a royal 747. The Gulfstream V, or the current 550 is the way to go in my opinion. Anything bigger and you can't get into smaller airports and anything smaller is just that...smaller.

For sheer luxury, the BBJ can't be beat. Jack Welsch, the former CEO of GE, has use of the company planes and he flies around in BBJ fitted with 2 bedrooms, 3 baths (one with shower) and triple 42 in plasma screens. His pilots were nice enough to give me a tour, and that is the way to fly. I was on a Saudi prince's BBJ, but it was so gaudy with all the gold plating and such that I would get overwhelmed in one for 10-12 hours at a time.

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Jets are for kids - :)

F4U / FG-1 Corsair

5. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    727's are old, noisy and inefficient. G-V without a doubt. For those who don't know, BBJ = Boeing Business Jet.

6. prohydro

prohydro Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I would go for an F5E/T-38. Perfect for those quick jaunts down to California for the weekend...I remember looking last month, and there was a company in Texas that were refurbishing five of them, and they were all up for sale.

Also, on one of the episodes of "The Apprentice" Trump mentioned he got his 727 from one of the airline boneyards. I had always thought that what went in there never came out. Can people with $$$ cut deals for those planes? Seems like the airlines have already written them off, so I'm not sure who they belong to. But, you could get a decent deal it seems.

7. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Paul Allen has one of the nicest biz-jets I've ever seen, a 757 that is really decked out. Bigger, faster, and more comfy than the 737 BBJ. If you had serious money to burn, this would be the way to go. Of course he also has an ex-Israeli Air Force two-seat F-5 to play with when he's not just cruisin' around.

Gary

8. DallasGuy

DallasGuy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2002
    Frisco TX
    Full Name:
    Chris F
  9. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Can it carry a couple of cars and jetskis?
    10-12 adults?
    Anyone know the cruising range?

...no more landing fees, instant waterfront hotel, take your toys with you, ability to land on land or water in emergencies, etc., etc.!

10. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    a citation X is the ferrari of private jets (it's the fastest non-military jet in the world). too rich for my blood though...about $20M i think... but much less expensive than a gulfstream :) i took one for a test flight a few years ago. awesome. totally awesome.

11. jbrosseau

jbrosseau Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    kirkland,wa
    Full Name:
    joe brosseau
    if i had the cash....... P-51 mustang baby!!!!

12. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Called the Beriev Be-200 twin-jet amphibious aircraft. Developed from the A-40/Be-42 'Mermaid'. World's first flying boat with hermetic cockpit. First three will be delivered in first quarter of 2001 plus four more until 2005. Initially designed as firebuster. Transport and passenger modifications provided. Produced by Irkutsk Aviation Facility. Development started not later 1990. First flown 24-Sep-1998. Certification tests were passed in Jan'2002. Factory price $22-24 million.

tvrfreak, I think you just might be able to pick one up. :D

13. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Whats the Price difference between the BBJ and gulfstreams?

When I was back east 2 years ago. I got to go over to Mr. Johnsons hanger to check out his new toy The Carnuba. Now he has toys, When I got there he was just landing in his 1 of 2 falcons. In the hanger was his gulfstream, and some other smaller things. His Helicopter was out so he let me go up in it so sick.

14. Kurt RSF

Kurt RSF Karting

Dec 27, 2003
    Rancho Santa Fe, CA
    The best plane to buy is the one that fits your mission 85-90% of the time. Otherwise you're spending a lot of money on want rather than need.

That may sound dumb on this forum, as who needs a Ferrari?

But we're talking serious money here folks. We're talking a million or more per year as opposed to many millions per year to operate it. Hopefully you have a business need so you can take advantage of the deductions.

15. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
  16. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Or you can just go fractional. :)

17. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Gulfstream's EVS is military technology in the cockpit for poor visibility. On a foggy day while the other planes are sitting on the ramp, you scoot on by because your EVS sees everything. Great jet, great technology.

- Gabe

18. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    BBJ for me. I could live in the damn thing! That, and Im a 737 man all the way :)

19. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    Agree, gimme a screw over a blowjob any day. Besides the Boeing design's nearly as old as the Corsair anyway......

20. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    GV with EVS. or modded GIV with EVS. as stated above it depends on several factors, the least of which is money. ie : how far, cargo versus people, how many pople by number and cargo by weight. an older used giv with evs & other up grades would do the job. i would buy a GULFSTREAM GV hands down. they wil do things.......... anyway " non discloser agreements" not with standing they are great aircraft for the money and have lower operating costs and fewer service issues over the Citation X. we have 20 year corrosion warranties and scheduled service factored into the purchas costs staggered out over the purchase contract. speaking of which i need to get to work!!!!!!!!!

21. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    BBJ all the way. second choice would be a Gulfstream V

22. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Spitfire and a flask of tea,

Dale.

23. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Just buy a Mooney. They're fun, reliable and affordable. More important, they can land just about anywhere.

All of these corporate planes are just "bling bling, look at the rich idiot burning cash".

24. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I too wouldnt mind having a citation X. Seomthing about flying to califonia in 4 hours is pretty appealing. I would, however, make due with a lesser jet if it meant i could have an L-29 for the weekends.

25. caddyman

caddyman Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Brett
    G-V is a nice plane, but it looks like they took a G-IV and threw in a section of fuselage without any windows right behind the cockpit and a larger tail. I like the Cadadair Global Express. They both perform well, the Global Express just looks better.