Is there a Ferrari quality body shop/mechanic in the area? | FerrariChat

Is there a Ferrari quality body shop/mechanic in the area?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by 288GT0, Nov 9, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 288GT0

288GT0 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Greenwich CT
    Full Name:
    Juan Villarreal
    Hi all, sort of new to this (just got the car a couple of months ago) and it needs some body work to get it to where I want it plus want a mechanis to work on the engine for me. Any one know a good place to go to? Thanks in advance

2. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I use (so do a few other chat members) Auto Elite in Ft. Lee, NJ for mechanical/maintenance work. Vinny is former dealer service manager; he runs a small shop with his brother Joe. They had an F40 in this year, a 288 shouldn't be a problem.

3. 288GT0

288GT0 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Greenwich CT
    Full Name:
    Juan Villarreal
    Thank you...I will give them a call.

4. Trinacria

Trinacria Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Baldassare Guzzo
    I am researching a bodyshop for my car as well. I'll let you know what i come up with.

5. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    Barney, I don't know if I mentioned it to you , but my mechanic also has a body/paint shop at his place if you want to check him out, let me know... By the way we missed you yesterday! Ed

6. MPalilonis

MPalilonis Karting

Sep 30, 2003
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey guys. Sorry to hear you guys need body work on those beautiful cars. But fear not, my friend owns one of the best body shops on the east coast. His place is called Karosserie Ltd. and its located in King of Prussia Pa, its just outside of downtown Phildelphia. I would highly recomend taking a look at their web page. There are some wonderful examples of some of the work they do. Also they are one of the few FACTORY AUTHORIZED body shops to work on the all aluminum 360's. So this can tell you how qualified and authenic they are in repairing Ferrari's. Here is thier web site. www.karosserie.com. The gentlemens name is Richard von Medicus, tell him Mike Palilonis refered you from F-Chat. Hope everything goes well and good luck fella's on getting them fixed!!! :) :) :) :)

~Mike P.

7. Trinacria

Trinacria Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Baldassare Guzzo
    Hi Ed

Yes, I would be very interested in speaking with your mechanic. I am thinking it might be a good time of year to do this. Please e-mail me the info. Thanks!

8. Trinacria

Trinacria Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Baldassare Guzzo
    MP
    I checked out the web site. It may be further than I need to go but I will give them a call.

9. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    You could also try AutosportDesigns in Huntington Station, L.I. I'm in Darien and have used them for my 308 and now my TR. They're worth the drive!!
    WWW.AUTOSPORTDESIGNS.COM

10. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    for body work on a f-car, their is only two places in the NY area to go, WWOC in spring valley NY or classic coach in elizabeth NJ. These guys have the tools and expertise to do body work on any ferrari, I think they may be the only factory authorized bodys shops too

11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Mike, I agree, Karosserie Ltd is a fine shop and capable of these types of repairs. Algar has relied on that shop for many years.

288GTO and Tom, Classic Coach certainly knows the GTO thoroughly and has restored one local GTO to platinum award level at Cavallino this year. They have serviced my car these past two years and I highly recommend them. Ask for Jim or Rocco.

Barry

12. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON

NO OTHER PLACE I WOULD GO TO...WWOC IN SPRING VALLEY

ASK FOR JIM MURPHY, SERVICE MGR..845 425 2600 X245. TELL HIM I SENT YOU

BRUCE

13. MPalilonis

MPalilonis Karting

Sep 30, 2003
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Trinacria for checking out their site. If it is at all possible, could you try to give them a call and mention my name. The owner is a good friend of mine and since I am graduating college in May of 2004, I am trying to get a job there, as possibly a consultant in the Ferrari department, so some backing from FChat would surely show him my interest in working for him. You don't have to commit to anything, just ask a few questions and pop my name in there once or twice, thats about it. Thanks again, and hopefully you can do me this favor.

Also thanks Barry for reading my post. Your right in that Algar has used them for many years!

~Mike P. :) :)

14. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Hi, If you're in Greenwich CT you might rather go somewhere more local, but we are in your area, Exoticars USA in Frenchtown NJ. http://exoticars-usa.com The reason I'm posting is because Forza magazine contacted us to do an article on rust treatment and we're looking for a subject car. Don't have any Ferrari's with rust in our shop at the moment but if you or anyone in the NJ/NY/PA area wants to have their car checked at our shop your car could be in the article.

Thanks,

Sandy de Groot
    Office Mgr, Exoticars USA

15. Rocco

Rocco Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2003
    Hi
    My name is Rocco I work for Classic Coach
    I will be glad to help you with your 288 GTO , Please call me or email me , for more info .

Thanks
    Rocco Planeta
    [email protected]
    908 352 3939

16. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Don't forget Berlinetta Motorcars in Huntington Long Island. Doug is the best (Pebble Beach SWB Calif Spyder and I personally can vouch for his restoration of a near new 288GTO that was front ended severely.) The car came out better than new (which isn't as hard as it sounds considering the quality of Ferrari bodywork in '85).

Doug's personal 308GTB is in the shop and was painted some fifteen years ago. Its a smooth as glass and is perfect. That's the measure of a great paint job. Who else can provide fifteen year old references?

Andy Falsetta

17. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    This is a very helpful thread. Any updates?

Who would you guys recommend in the Tri-State area if looking at Ferrari dealerships.

Thanks in advance.

18. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mike.

It would make a lot of sense for you to stick your head in the door at Algar, too. Bob Segal and Dick are partners in that 360 repair venture for the track cars. Bob is a great guy, and getting to know him a little wouldn't hurt either.

He'll talk F cars with anyone who comes in his shop, as long as he has time. The more people you know, and the more you know about the cars, the better.

Von Medicus runs a great shop, and is about the only guy in the area who can get a car straightened out, the first time.

good luck on the job.

Dave M.

19. TTG

TTG Formula 3

Jun 11, 2002
    East Hanover, NJ
    Full Name:
    Todd Gieger
    For the 288 GTO I would go to Classic Coach...I have seen a perfect example of another 288 GTO they restored...it was unreal.

Call Rocco Planeta
    [email protected]
    908 352 3939

Btw, nice choice of cars...I would call Rocco and have him give you the name and # of the guy who owns the 288 GTO they restored...The same guy has a 355 as well...he won at the Ferrari Fall Classic in New Vernon (Morristown)...very nice, down to earth guy.

Keep us updated...I love those cars.

Regards,

Todd
    [email protected]

20. wishihadaferrari

Feb 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Ted Parkes
    A site I have been frequenting recently is www.tomyang.net He has spent the last 5 years or so restoring his 330 America GT 2+2. He frequently mentions a friend of his, Francois Sicard, who is helping him with the restoration. Sicard worked at the Ferrari factory in the 60's and is one of the most reknowned Ferrari restorers in the world. You might try contacting Tom to find out about Francois. Perhaps he can take a look at your car.

Ted

21. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but isn't Francois Sicard the gentleman who maintains and restores David Letterman's Ferrari Collection? I recall seeing an article in Forza about him a while back. I think it was the same person. Anyone know for sure?

22. wishihadaferrari

Feb 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Ted Parkes
    I don't know about Letterman's cars, but Sicard is one of the few people to score 100 out of 100 points on a car at le Concours D'Elagance.

Ted

23. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I know it is obviously rare to get a "100," but curious to know just how rare. Ie, is there generally one "100" every couple of shows, or does a "100"-type car only appear once every six - nine months?

Would you happen to know which car he scored a "100" on?

24. wishihadaferrari

Feb 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Ted Parkes
    The car was a 275 GTB/4

I'm quoting this from www.tomyang.net

"The Ferrari show circuit is a very competitive field, with both the judges, and the competitors. The judges have to prove their knowledge of Ferraris when they inspect a well restored car, and deduct points for flaws they find, and the competitors have to prove their knowledge of Ferraris by restoring cars to the highest standards of workmanship, and factory correctness. All reputations are at risk here, not to mention hundreds of thousands of dollars spent by the owners of these cars to have their cars worthy of entering such a show.

As this particular show progressed, it was evident that François had created a perfect car. It is considered almost impossible to have a "100 point" car, so judges work hard at finding minute problems to deduct even half a point. After some time, there was some discussions of the type to yellow paint used to daub the nuts in the engine compartment, and suspension bolts. Overhearing this conversation about his car, François stepped into this circle of judges, and asked, "What did you say?"...After some silence facing François' French disposition, the judge that brought up the issue, restated that he thought the yellow paint that was used to daub the nuts on the suspension didn't seem to be the "right" yellow. After a moment of thought and brewing anger, François replied, "Eh, what you you know?" Silence and shock fell upon the the gathering crowd, as Wayne tried desperately to pull François away from making a scene. ""you know f-----g nothing about Ferrari. what do you think we do at the factory when we run out of yellow paint, we go to the hardware store and get what ever color yellow there was- you know nothing!" Wayne said, "...of course I thought that was it, we were done,... but I think the rest of the judges knew François was right."

They got best in show with a 100 point score