Bringing in used cars from out of state | FerrariChat

Bringing in used cars from out of state

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by G-force, Feb 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Did you know that if you buy a used car with 7500 miles out of state and it does not start transportation into california for 90 days sales/use tax does not exist!
    The exemption is out of state for 90 days.you sign a DMV form under penalty of perjury.
    I kept mine out 90 days BEFORE transportation started to California. The board of Equalization is the one if anyone that will make you prove things.
    Use AAA to register less hassle. Sometimes DMV will refer to Board of equalization for a release before they register it AAA never does this.
    Any further questions on this procedure email me or call me MON-SAT
    909 383-9000
    Wayne

2. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Wayne,
    You have mail.
    Byron

3. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Byron
    I'm home so use PM or email me at [email protected]

4. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    I couldn't find a section myself stating 7500 miles.The AAA said that.
    I seem to remember years ago that number but I can't find it in the statute?
    My car had 9100 miles on it when I brought it in.

the AAA

5. Z06Kal

Z06Kal Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Guys I did this with my Z06 and it had 1900 miles on it when I brought it in. The 7500 miles only applies if the vehicle is not certified with California emissions. Most new cars are all certified with California emisions making the 7500 mile thing not applicable. The only requirement is that the car is a USED car. It can not be a brand new car. I went to the DMV and they did ***** and complain about the law but the law is the law and they honored it. They told me it would go to the board of equalization yada yada but nothing became of it I got my title and that was that. I don't think AAA can register out of state cars last I remember they won't do it but maybe I'm wrong? Anyway this law is awesome for those who know it.

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Yes, AAA will do it. I seem to recall them saying that tax would be due even after the 90 days of bringing it here. Something to the effect that if you had it registered somewhere else first(other state) then brought it here after 90 days then that would allow for the tax exemption?? Can anyone clarify this?

7. Cannoli

Cannoli Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Norman
    I did not experience the mileage requirement because the car was not "new", as in brand new. I believe that if you do purchase a new car, let's say a 2004 MY, if it has 7,500 or more miles, the rule works. One must own the vehicle 90 days, out of the State, prior to bringing the vehicle in. Remember, once the vehicle passes the State Line and is operated on a State road, you are required to register the vehicle within 20 days.

This ruling worked for me; I bought an Out-Of-State used vehicle (>7,500 miles) and did not bring the vehicle into the State until after 90 days of ownership. AAA would not register the vehicle because it was never registered in California before (so they told me). I went to DMV, showed my Bill-of-Sale, proof of insurance, and smog compliance certificate (actually it was sent to Sacramento via the Smog Test station). I registered my vehicle and went home with money in my pocket, as it should be. Paying a Use Tax on used vehicles is not just. I know, I'm preaching to the choir.

Good luck.

8. Cannoli

Cannoli Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Norman

How To Register A Nonresident Vehicle

The following information explains what you need to obtain California registration on a vehicle previously registered in another state or country.
    What is a nonresident vehicle?

A nonresident vehicle is one that was last registered outside the state of California (in another state, country, province, territory, etc.). Anyone who brings a vehicle into California or purchases a nonresident vehicle while in California should be aware of the registration requirements.
    NOTE: California law prohibits importing and/or registering a new vehicle (one with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase) unless it meets or is exempt from California Emission standards. If you acquire a 49 state vehicle (vehicle manufactured for all states except California) from another state or country and do not qualify for one of the exemptions, you cannot register your vehicle and must immediately remove it from this state. You may purchase a One-Trip Permit to do so.

Reference: Health & Safety Code Section 43151(A)

The following is required to register a nonresident vehicle:

• An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) signed by all registered owners, showing the name and address of the lienholder (legal owner), if any.

• Last issued out-of-state title, unless held by the lienholder/legal owner.

• Last issued registration certificate, if the applicant is the same as the registered owner shown on the out-of-state title and the vehicle entered California with valid out-of-state registration, or if the title has been lost.

• A Bill of Sale, Vehicle/ Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262), if you purchased the vehicle from someone other than the registered owner shown on the title.

• A vehicle verification. The vehicle must be inspected by an authorized DMV employee, law enforcement officer, or a licensed vehicle verifier employed by a registration service or dealership. These inspections require no additional fee and are most easily obtained by bringing the vehicle to the nearest DMV.

• Smog Certification, if applicable.

• Weight Certificate, if a commercial vehicle. A weight certificate is not required for:
    o Commercial vehicles with empty or unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or less where the weight is marked on the out-of-state title or registration.
    o Trailers with empty or unladen weight clearly under 1,500 pounds. The estimated weight must be indicated on the vehicle verification.
    o Vehicles previously registered in California with no changes made to the vehicle.
    o Trailer coaches and camp trailers. Trailer coaches must be registered at all time regarless of use.

• Appropriate fees and any use tax due.

Forms you will need:

• Application for Title or Registration (REG 343)

• Vehicle /Vessel Transfer and Reassignment Form (REG 262)

Change of ownership

If you are not the owner shown on the out-of-state title/registration, the title must be signed by the seller(s) and the lienholder, if any named on the title. The vehicle's odometer reading must also be disclosed by the seller and acknowledged by the buyer.

Lienholder Has the Title

If the title is not available because you are making payments to a bank, finance company, or other lienholder who does not wish to surrender the title:

• Indicate the name and address of the lienholder on the application for registration.

AND

• Show your name exactly as it appears on the out-of-state registration card (Exception: The address may be changed.).
    A nontransferable (no California title issued) registration card will be issued.

Requesting a duplicate out-of-state title

If the title is not available because it has been lost, stolen, or destroyed, you should submit an application for California registration while awaiting a duplicate title from your home state (out-of-state DMV addresses are available at your local DMV office or from DMV telephone service centers.)
    You will need to submit your last issued out-of-state registration certificate to DMV with your application for registration.

When are fees due?

Commercial vehicles and any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered immediately upon entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Residents of other states may operate their vehicles with current registration in their names from their residence state for up to six months or until they:

• Accept gainful employment in California or become a California resident.

• Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.

• Rent or lease a residence in California.

• Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident.

• Dependents attend a school (K-12). Or,

• Intention to live or be located here on a permanent basis (e.g., acquire a California driver license, other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote, etc.).

Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties.

How much will I have to pay?

The fees due depend on a variety of factors and are determined by your application. In addition to the usual registration fees, you may have to pay the following:

Vehicle License Fee-This fee is assessed based on the value of your vehicle and is collected in lieu of personal property tax.

Weight Fee-Assessed on most trucks, pickups, and trailers weighing over 1,999 lbs.

Use Tax-This tax is similar to sales tax. It is collected at the same rate as your county of residence. It is due on all vehicles purchased in California and on those brought into this state within 90 days of purchase. Any sales taxes paid out-of-state will be considered when computing the use tax due this state. This fee is due for ownership transfer of recently purchased vehicles.
    County Fees-County fees range from $1 to $8. The fees support various progams such as air quality, auto theft deterrance, emergency call box, and abandoned vehicles.

Penalties-When fees due the state of California for a nonresident vehicle are not paid within 20 days of the date they became due, they are subject to a 40% penalty.

9. Cannoli

Cannoli Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Norman
    Out-of-State Vehicles

How long do I have to register a vehicle from another state or country?

Nonresident vehicle owners who move to California must register their out-of-state vehicles in California within 20 days of the date they accept employment or establish residency in California.

If a resident of California aquires a vehicle from another state or country, fees become due the date the vehicle enters California and must be paid within 20 days to avoid late penalties.

You may obtain information, which explains California's registration requirements by calling DMV at 1-800-777-0133, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (operators are available between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday-Friday) or go to your your local DMV office.

How do I register my nonresident vehicle in California that was last registered in another state or country?

Your vehicle may be subject to California registration from the date of entry. Fees must be paid within 20 days from the date the vehicle entered California to avoid penalties.

You will need to:

* Complete an Application for Title or Registration (REG 343)
    * Submit your out-of-state registration certificate
    * Submit your out-of-state title (If you have it)
    * Provide evidence of the California Smog Certification
    * Provide an odometer mileage certification (If your vehicle is less than 10 years old)
    * Bring your vehicle to a DMV office for verification of the vehicle's identification number (For your convenience, we recommend that you schedule an appointment by calling your local DMV)
    * Pay the fees

Commercial vehicles, including pickup trucks, may also require a weight certificate.

You may also be subject to use tax if you brought this vehicle into California within 90 days from your date of purchase.

How do I register the vehicle with out-of-state plates that I purchased?

You must apply for California registration and pay all registration and license fees within 20 days of your purchase.

You will need to:

* Complete an Application for Title or Registration (REG 343)
    * Submit the out-of-state title signed by the seller
    * Provide an odometer mileage certification signed by both you (the buyer) and the seller
    * Provide evidence of the California Smog Certification
    * Bring your vehicle to a DMV office for verification of the vehicle's identification number (for your convenience, we recommend that you schedule an appointment by calling your local DMV)
    * Pay the fees

What should a California resident look for when buying a new vehicle from another state?

California residents are prohibited from importing, purchasing, or leasing a new vehicle from another state, unless the vehicle was manufactured for sale in California and the Environmental Protection Agency label certifies the vehicle has California smog equipment. California considers a new vehicle to be any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time it is purchased or aquired.

Click here for more information on buying a vehicle from out of state from California Air Resource Board.

For more information, please call DMV at 1-800-777-0133.

Go to the DMV website for more information on this subject prior to going to AAA or to DMV ... http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr.htm

Hope this helps ... good luck!

10. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    AAA San Bernardino registered my Penn titled 550,checked vin, I had it smoged, paid $814 plates fees and that was that!

11. Z06Kal

Z06Kal Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    THE AAA in socal told me they don't register out of state vehicles. But DMV will still do it. They try to intimidate you into not invoking the law but the law is the law and they can't say anything about it.

12. Dino

Dino Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    San Diego
    I believe the issue is where the sales tax was paid. In other words, the buyer is going to have to pay sales tax--either in the state the car was purchased, or in California when the car arrives here. I do not beleive one can purchase a car out of state, fail to pay any out of state sales tax, and then bring the car to Cali and avoid the sales tax. On the other hand, if the car comes to Cali with a title in the new buyers name, then the DMV would presume the buyer paid the tax in the other state (which would be required to get the title.)

Dino

13. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    DINO wrong that is exactly what I did! Totally legal.

14. SAF1

SAF1 Karting

Jun 26, 2003
    OC CA & Bangkok
    Full Name:
    Steve

You are right. The AAA would not register a out of state car if you purchased it from a dealer. But if you purchase it from private party, AAA would do the registration.

I just bought a car from out of state, and just experianced it.

15. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    So Wierd mine was bought from Car Store at Glenside Penn and they
    registered it??Go figure.............

16. Z06Kal

Z06Kal Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    DINO I also did the same thing with my 03 Z06 and didn't pay a penny in sales tax 100% legaly. Bannana boat and I are both laughing our way to the bank with our savings. This is definately one of those things that makes me wonder what other loop holes I could find if I were a lawyer...if you know all the rules to the game you can play it oh so much better.

17. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    And that is exactly why I started this thread on the So cal board to help others do the same......

18. gdbsti

gdbsti Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    to drag this post up from the dead..

Unfortunatly this loophole has since been closed..

Use tax bill SB1100 came into effect October 1 2004, changing the out of state time from 90 days to 365 (Until 2006)

Bummer..

19. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Thanks for the heads up. They're looking for any and all ways to put the clamps on.