Porsche 911 shifting and seat position | FerrariChat

Porsche 911 shifting and seat position

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Mojo, Feb 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Does anyone share the same Idea that the shifter is to low? It feels really awkward to me, not like a sports car should. But I love the look of the car. the 996 seems to be right tho its just the 911 and 993. Is it just me?

2. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino

I've had a few 911's (Carrera 3.2, 964, 993) and I never found the seating and/or gear lever position to be anything other than ideal. In fact, this past weekend I had my 328 valeted and when I got it back the seating postion was completely changed. I found it difficult to get it back to the right position again. It was very awkward to drive until I got the seat just right. Right about that time I was thinking back to how nice the seats in my old 911's were! :)

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I have a 964 Carrera 4 and have never had a problem with the seating position, unless the wife was driving it and didn't move the seat back. Then I end up slamming my knee in the steering wheel.

4. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Don't forget that 964 & 993 models had pedals that hinged from the top, ie Beetle style. Almost all other cars have floor hinged pedals.
    T

5. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I want to put a switch in my mercedes so I can disable the power seats when I valet, I think they just like to play with it. It always comes back with the seat in some weird position.

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

pedals are hinged from the bottom ala vw bug. i think that was what was meant.

on the shifting and seating...i agree w/ azzuro328, in 911/993, it is very dificult to fault the position and comfort of the controls. all seems to fall in place nicely.

7. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I've driven both the 964 and 993 and one of the things I really liked about the car was the seating position and the room it gave me, I'm 6'3 250. I was also comfortable shifting. I have yet to drive a 996 does it not have it's pedals hinged from the bottom?

8. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Thats strange that you all like it, maybe I just have short arms. Just seems like im reaching down for the shifter.

9. SMC

SMC Rookie

Nov 16, 2003
    The shift knob can make a big difference. I have a 98 993 and replaced the OEM shif knob with a my04 knob and it made all the difference in the world.

BTW - love the car!!! My 85 QV was special, but the beauty, ease, performance and precision of the 993 is incredible.