Essentially mean | FerrariChat

Essentially mean

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by robinh, Feb 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I've cut myself shaving and realised I had no new razor blades. The basic reason for this is my dislike at spending on something I think is overpriced (they're about half the price in conmtinental Europe) and that I consider an essential.

So, what essentials do you guys not like buying, where do find your mean streak kicking in on purchases for you and your familiy?

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i chince on just about everything essential (because i'm poor:))... Car insurance really pisses me off... Is there an overwhelmingly direct correlation between speeding and accidents that makes my speeding a liability...? No, of course, not, they just raise rates for every conceivable reason and that really irks me...

Maybe car insurance isn't exactly what you were talking about but it IS essential... i have no qualms with razors, tooth brushes, tooth paste, toilet paper, shaving cream, light bulbs, soap, 1:18 scale models :))) or any other essentials...

3. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
  4. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Actually, Mr. Mccoy there is a direct correlation between speeding and accdents which is why you pay more for car insurace. Males ages 16-25 (i dont knwo how old you are but i'd image you are around 25) are considered high risk drivers and males that age who speed are statistically more probably to getr in accidents, which is why you and i pay more for insurance. For those who know statistics, we may not be from that group of males agest 18-25 who are hypothesized to be statistically more probable to be in an accident. if we are not part of this group, thats known as type-II error in statistics. Since most hypothesis testing is done with a 90% (at the LOWEST), the insurace co can say with 90% (or most likely more) certainty that we are more likey to cause accidents. SOunds logical??
    Or maybe they are just greedy and trying to screw us.

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The latter certainly sounds more feasible... :)

6. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Not really ESSENTIALS, but how about the price of a bag of Ruffles!? I think the list price on a full size bag here in Mi is $4.29, which is absolutely insane for cut up potatoes. Or how about the price of a fountain drink!? I used to work for Pepsi & I can tell you that they have more into the cup (about $.05) than they do the product.

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Healthy food is expensive. The junk food is as cheap as hell. 99c for a loaf of white plaine bread and $2.90 for decent {health wise} bread. If good food was a bit cheaper {the government could kick in a little} then health care costs would go down and productivity would increase. But that would require effort on the governments part and that's a no-no.

8. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    For razor blades, there is CLEAR room in the US market for a quality blade at half the price. I looked at RC crystals a year ago that fit this exact same scenario. That is why I started my RC crystal company selling these components at half the industry price.

On the flip side, we need to look at items that are a bargain now. In 1985, a gallon of gas was $1.20. At $1.65 today, with inflation, gas is cheaper than it was in '85. We all B&M at the pumps without thinking of this. I just want to see a good ten cent cigarette!

9. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Damm Peter,

Gas ischeap out there in Cali. It just shot up over night to $1.85 a gallon here for no reason.

10. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    That's why I go through these "moods" every few months and grow a beard, wife doesn't like but it's nice not to shave for a month or two. Then I invariably get bored though and shave. Try it!

11. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Health insurance. For myself, my wife and my son. No dental, no glasses, $1000 deductible. $799 per month-------This is a group plan where I work so it seems to me it should be lower...................................................

Have you priced anything on the Atkins diet with his name on it???????????? Candy bar, $1.79, box of cereal $5.29, bag of muffin mix $3.29. That candy bar is less than 2 oz. cereal is a 12 oz box and muffin mix is a 4 oz package. Not that I need or use them but this is price gouging to the highest degree.

12. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Concisering he died a fat pig.
    A loaf ob Atkins fatkins costs 6 bucks and is 1/2 as long as a regular loaf and the peices are about 1/2 as big in diameter. RIP you ****ing piece of ****! That diet ramps up all your chance for a heart attack by about 400% for Christs sake!

13. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG

so basically your pay about 25% for a gallon as we do in the UK ($7.56!)

14. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Yep. Why do you think more SUV's are sold on this side of the pond?

15. Omerta

Omerta Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    good call.

16. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Boy can you tell you are in Canada.....

BTW Neil how is the snow doing..
    Sorry for the Hijack but for those who don't know Neil is in the middle of this

http://novascotia.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=ns_snowmon20040223

Lift with you knees not your back....

17. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Ah ... the good old days with the government cheese !

18. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I know the government can't make 1,000 changes in a year to correct every little problem. The people would be shocked and kick the boss out of the big chair. I would be willing to give up an additional 20 or even 30% in taxes to fight global warming and find better sources for heating my home. Ahhh enough of this, I snapped a couple of pics the day after, the day after the snow stopped. I'll post them in a couple of days. Hummmm back to looking for a digi cam too I guess.

19. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Well, every road is down to 1 lane exclding the 3 main hiways. And not only down to one lane but the snow banks are 12 feet high so you can't see around the next bend and intersections are just so much fun! And yes I said one lane roads with 12 foot high now banks after 1 snowfall. And yes retards are parking their cars on the road {the one lane road} so I have to smash his side windows in before I turn around and find another way home or to work. That ice scraper can do so much more than just clear off snow!

20. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    Peter, I think you'll be surprised when you go to fill up the car. Last time I did it it was $1.79 and yesterday I had to pay $2.08 at the same station here in the central valley! I saw prices over $2.20 near San Francisco.

21. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I live in a resort community so everything is expensive unless I want to drive to a store 30 or more miles away. I bought a breakfast sandwich this morning prepackaged that consisted of an egg, slice of cheese,sausage patty and bread 3.19. Gas 1.99 a gallon, need milk how about 2.00 for a quart, jonesin' for some Kraft mac&cheese o.k. 1.80 for the small package. 2 liter of soda 2.90. You get the point, it pisses me off tho! Dirty Bastards!