What car to get next | FerrariChat

What car to get next

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by allanlambo, Feb 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What car to get next

1. Dodge Viper Gts- Bolt on mods

2. Dodge Viper Srt-10-bolt on mods

3. Porsche 996TT mod to 700-750hp

4. Lotus Sport 350- mod

5. Mercedes E55- mod

6. Mercedes Sl55- mod

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Contemplating buying another car for use here on Maui. Need something fun, reliable and interesting. I also want a car that im not afraid to park out in the open, and something that you could drive even 10 years from now and still be a cool car. Here are my choices so far, what do you think? Ill do it in the form of a poll. Oh, also want it to be less than 100K.

2. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Im leaning towards the 996TT.

3. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Out of all the choices and criteria, the Porsche.

The worst thing Dodge could have done to the Viper is put their name on it. Blue Book will tank the prices on Vipers shortly.

The Mercedes is too perfect that it's boring.

The Loti has potential, it would be the second selection.

- gabe

4. F360@20

F360@20 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Vipers are just out- they are not cool at all.
    Lotus cool cars 1-1000 people if that even know what it is thow.
    Benz- awsome cars but if its something you want for 10 years and still be cool they will not. Look at the benz from 10 years ago today ehhh. But still awsome Sl55 and E55 are impressive.

But.
    a 996 turbo is just sick. and a 996 turbo MODED is even sicker. I still think old 911's look awsome they always will. I say the 996 because It will look good in ten years! (as long as you do not blow the engine due to mods)
    I dont know how you would keep a 996 moded under 100,000k thow.

Or dare I say you could just get a FERRARI!!!!

5. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    SL55 AMG. Daily car, does what you want, and you can take the toys out for their experience. You might even want to pitch the 355 along with the Caddy if you let your wife get the keys.

Sunny

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    TT - You know you want it.

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Gallardo ?

8. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Allen,

You forgot to list the ultimate dream car for you a claped out "Kia Sportage" :D

9. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Lotus. No one will find your TT interesting. They'll just think you're a Dentist.

Luke.

10. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Porsche TT...is one of the best cars ever made! Who cares what other people think of your car.

11. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    996TT. You would probably have alot of fun with it.
    IF you are really considering the Sport 350, why not just upgrade the lotus you currently own?

12. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Porsche, great bang for the buck, not sure you would want to park a Viper out in the open.

13. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Allan,
    It sounded before as though you had your heart set on the 996TT. Why the sudden doubt?

DL

14. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore

Something tells me Allan does.

15. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Allan: if you are going to throw serious money into a 996TT, why not just buy a used GT-2? Rear wheel drive, suspension already done, you can still chip it if you find its not powerful enough, and on resale value, you won't have to explain to prospective purchasers why its not a hand grenade.

If you are going to buy one to mod, why not a 993? Aren't they way cheaper for a platform? (And, even though i have the more current model, i like the look of the earlier ones better).

Final alternative: what about a used Ruf Porsche?

16. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Seen some good deals on RUF's does it have to be new?

17. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Another vote for the 911 here.

If you've never had/driven one like what you described before, you must !!!
    One of my clients had a 993TT and we did the Autothority Stage II kit to it......etc....supposedly 500+ HP........it was quite intimidating at that level !! Way to fast for mere mortals.............

Nothing wrong with the other cars either..................

18. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    All of those choices would be fun, and I have to say I was leaning towards the 911 but the Lotus is just an amazing car. Its still modifiable, and its probably the most maneuverable car out there. For me it would be either the GT2 or the Lotus.
    Enjoy!

19. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I'd sell the 355, Diablo, and whatever else you have and get something off the wall like a Koenigsegg, Zonda, or Carrera GT. Then for the every day 'park it anywhere' car just get a 996 or M3..

Otherwise from that list, I'd do the Lotus...way cheaper than a 996TT, way better looking, more 'exotic', probably just as fast once you mod it, doesn't look like every other Porsche, etc...

-R

20. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Get the Lotus! Not only will it be interesting and different from the norm but you'll also have something legitimate to b_tch about for once! ;)

21. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Good point, there are TONS of Porsches on the road. You will take it up the tailpipe on Lotus depreciation though, at least that's what has happened with Esprits, TT's, etc.

22. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Lotus. The 996TT is second. The Lotus has tons more character.

23. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    What's with the Viper bashing?? Under 90K brand new, embarrases anything and everything under $200K, has racing heritage (which seems to mean a lot to some on this board), and looks pretty damn good.

Let's talk motor:

8.3 liters of ocean-moving torque (makes more torque at 800rpm than a Chevy LT1 does at full tilt .... enough to rip the Pilot Sports loose while already moving in gear with no clutch help .... those are 335 Pilot sports btw). The SRT-10 is a true 11-second car (many 11.9s, a few 11.8s) right off the factory floor with the OE street tires. Oh, and it gets 22+ mpg on the highway.

Have the motor worked on and things heat up a bit. There are quite a few people on the Viper forums right now with 900HP at the rear wheels (that's over a thousand at the motor) on the old 8.0 liter motor for relatively little money (compared to modifying a Ferrari). If you don't wish to go the forced-induction route, there are quite a people who will get you to the 550 - 600 RWHP route with some work.

Let's talk stopping:

A weak point of the previous generation cars for sure, but the SRT-10 has recorded the shortest stopping distances of any production car so far and with good pads and fluid, will not fade on the track. I've heard the new brakes have excellent feel as well.

Let's talk handling:

Ok, granted, it's doesn't turn-in like a CS nor does it have quite as much steering feel ... but it's got pretty mild understeer which is easily corrected with the throttle or camber/toe adjustments, endless grip, and at 3200 pounds is tossable.

Forget who makes the friggin thing and enjoy the car for what it does and how well it does it.

Bill in Brooklyn

24. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I do pretty muh have my heart set on the 996TT. The Vipers are still pretty cool. I already have a Lotus so that pretty much rules out the Sport 350.

As for selling the Diabo...never.

25. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    RUF or Gemballa.