328 Questions | FerrariChat

328 Questions

Discussion in '308/328' started by ron in charleston, Nov 13, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ron in charleston

Nov 19, 2002
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ron Schneider
    Is there a good source to research the value of these cars? And if so what is it.

Do 328's generally need a top end rebuild after a certain number of miles? Assuming it is properly maintained.

2. santacruzn

santacruzn Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Grace
    As far value, I am looking for one as well and have compiled a list of over 80 328's available for sale in the US and Canada. They range in asking price from $25K to $76K. Actual selling prices (except for those few on ebay) are not known.

3. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Hey guys. Basically, you're going to get what you pay for, provided you inspect the car. While there really is no one comprehensive source, I would think that, after seeing many different cars like Santacruz has, you will begin to establish your own pretty accurate idea of fair value. Don't obsess over mileage, but rather any maintenance that should go along with that. The first big service is the 30K, and I'll bet anything that none of the models you saw for under 40K have had it done. The absolute extreme most you should look at paying is $50-$55K, but more realistically somewhere between $42-$47K for a very good 328. Enjoy the search, and hopefully, your 328!

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Ron,
    Gilles27 pretty much hit the nail on the head. Nice clean 328's, with 20-30k miles and good history are selling in the low to upper 40's. More miles, and spotty records and cosmetics will drop them into the low to mid thirties. Perfect, low miles, documented 1989 cars with ABS sell for a premium, probably in the mid 50's.

Mid 88 cars with the suspension updates, but no ABS fall somewhere inbetween, but closer to the 86-87 year cars.

You will see a lot of 86-88 cars asking low to mid 50's...but I don't think they ever actually sell for that. I got my 87 with 29k miles, and good history for $41k a little over a year ago.

5. ron in charleston

Nov 19, 2002
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ron Schneider
    Gilles227 and Davehanda,

Thank you for your replies they are helpful.

I am looking at an 86 328 GTS with 55K miles, with the owner asking 45K. It has been repainted, has new upholsery, and carpeting and while not restored it is cosmetically very nice. The paint job is very good although I have seen better.

As far as the 30K mile service where can I look as a resource to review what should have been done?

What is the next major service and again where can I find the information about what is to be performed at that time? I'm thinking the next major service is done at 60K miles.

6. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Ron, is there a Ferrari dealership near you? If so, contact them regarding a car inspection and they can give you any info you will want. PPIs usually don't cost too much. If the car you're considering is out of town, find someone there that can perform the inspection for you. The 30K is an engine-out major job, and runs several thousand dollars.

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    A Ferrari dealer would be a good palce to get the PPI - The one in OC, Cali charges about $600 - Money well spent.

Bring them the paperwork for the prior 30K service - They should be able to figure it out. The 30K service is 5 years or 30K miles, so your next one may not be due at 60K miles, if one was done recenty.

$45K seems a little high. Should be able to negotiate down a bit.

Good luck!

8. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Ron,
    The quality of the paint work, upholstery and carpet, and how close to original it was done, makes a big difference in the value. Personally, IF all the services are current (and done correctly by a reputable shop) that car is probably a mid to upper 30's car....just the reality of the market. For the money the owner is asking, you should be able to find a car with all original cosmetics in great condition and under 35k miles (documeted mileage) for $45k.

9. ron in charleston

Nov 19, 2002
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ron Schneider
    Unfortunately we do not have a dealer in South Carolina. The nearest one is about 5 hours away in Atlanta. I'm not inclined to get a PPI done at the shop that services this car, especially in view of the fact that the owner of the shop is the one selling the car for the owner and for all I know he may be getting a commission. I just don't think he can offer a completely unbiased opinion, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing just that it's a fact.

If I can obtain the information regarding what service he has had done and determine what the car will need I may be inclined to trailer the car to Atlanta assuming the owner will accept my offer contingent on a PPI being performed and showing no suprises.

In the meantime I'll keep shopping.

10. Rblcar

Rblcar Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Craig R.
    Yes, keep shopping. I recently bought a 1988 GTS from a dealer, 23K miles, all services done, excellent condition, $45K, and have had no problems since. You can do better than that car.

11. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Good advice....keep shopping, there are a lot of 328's out there, so don't get the "fever" and "have to have it" bug, just yet. :)

12. ron in charleston

Nov 19, 2002
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Ron Schneider
    If I were to spend another $10K or $15K it looks like I could get a 348. Do you think that parts and service for the 348 would be much more than the 328?

Is the 348 as reliable as the 328's.

13. Rblcar

Rblcar Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Craig R.
    Ron,

Search the old archives on this topic. There's lost of info there. The general consensus is that the 348 is less reliable, and the fact is that it does cost more to maintain.

14. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Ron, I'll agree w/ the rest, $45k for that car is too high. Without the 30k service, I wouldn't pay over $40k and doubt I'd pay that. There are too many nice cars out there for that amount of money with no stories.

Didn't Martin have a nice 328 for sale?

FWIW, I bought a car 1300 miles away from me and drove it home.

15. davequick

davequick Formula Junior

May 27, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Quick
    Ron - read your private messages - i sent you because your profile didn't allow email.

-dq

16. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    In the uk the prices of the 328s and 348s are about the same.In fact prices of the top 328s are going for £49K,ang top 348s around £40k.There is a wellknown ferrari dealer called nick cartwright who sells 328s for an average of £45k ish.At the other end of the scale you can get both for £20k.So the prices in the uk are about the same although the top 328 prices have the edge.

17. Theo

Theo Formula Junior

May 6, 2002
    Westford, MA
    Full Name:
    Theo Pappas
    Ron,

I am contemplating selling my 87 328 GTS (Red/Tan). It has 27K miles, belts changed 1 year ago, new tires 6 months ago (PZeros), and a fresh oil service 1 month ago. I have all records and maintenance. All my service is done by a exlcusively Ferrari mechanic (John Tirell @ IFS). As far as appearance goes, it's probably a 9 out of 10. Since I live in MA I will be storing it during the winter. Some of the MA Fchatters have seen it and can attest to it.

If you are interested, send me an email or give me a call. I don't have a set price in mind, but would be open to a fair/market price.

Theo
    617-957-5282

18. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
  19. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Anyone notice the Ferrari Market Report in Sports Car International this month? They feature four cars that they feel are significant at the moment, and the 328 is one of them. Worth a look. :)

20. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    RON I SENT YA MAIL, but i am going to post it here as well in case it may help anyone else there is a guy here who is known in the FCA comunity that does FCAR, LAMBO, JAG, ALFA ECT ECT lots off neato cars all levels of mechanical work and restoration ( except paint ) his name is ANDY GREENE 912 748 5737. EMAIL AT: [email protected]. we are a lot closer than 5 hours to hotlanta. i am not affiliated with them in any way but i have been asking him questons off and on as i want to get a 308 if i can find a carb one. he has several 308 as well as some other vintage stuff that i care not to disclose for fear of bieng killed. i hope this is not too late and that you find a great car!!!! i sent you my phone number if you need a contact here in the savannah area for help. best wishes michael.

21. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Azzurro, cool! I'm going to see if I can find that SCI today! I wonder what "significant" means?

22. Moondog

Moondog Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    North Carolina
    Ron,
    I am considering selling my 328 also. I live in Michigan and just this past Friday put the car in storage. Its red/tan with red carpet, Tubi exhast, Speedline wheels, original paint, no damage history, no stories. 30K svc complete, 26,600 miles. I have the stock wheels and tires with only 200 miles on them, and the stock exhaust. The car is nearly perfect. I bought it just this year and had fun all summer, now I think I need a 360 spyder!!!

Thanks, Tim

Ck my profile for a quick pic of the car.

23. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Azzurro, just picked up the current edition of SCI (Jan 04) and can't find the article you mention above (but I'm a lousy reader). What page? THX!

24. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Ron:

You ever come up to Summerville much? I'm in-the-market as well, I'm interested in hearing your experiences......you talking to Karl Troy these days?