3xx series Aluminum Radiator | FerrariChat

3xx series Aluminum Radiator

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dave, Feb 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Those out there that have installed after-market aluminum radiators in your 308 or 328.
    Which brand, model did you choose,
    and are you still happy with your choice?

I am at that point with my 77 308,
    and trying to decide on a pre-built unit,
    or something from Summit that I can mod to fit.

Advice from those that have done it...

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I am still in the process of the front clip rebuild on the GTB,
    and have gotten to the cooling system...

3. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Pipes cleaned up with new hose & clamps.

4. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    One of the reasons I need a new radiator...
    Water can get trapped in the foam at the corners.

5. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    And if the drain holes get blocked...

6. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Then your radiator can look like this...

7. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    The other side.

8. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    The pressure of the rubber agianst the side of the radiator had kept this from tearing out before.

9. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Frame mount.

10. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Don't let these holes get blocked...

11. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I went the summit route and mounted a very large $180 radiator with an 18" fan....but I had to mod the car to put it in. It works very very well, but it doesn't even come close to looking stock.

12. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I got one from a place in Michigan. www.alumrad.com I was very happy with the rad they made and it's worked great for me for over a year. I simply gave them the measurements I needed and they made it eaxtly they way I wanted. I too had to modify/make some brakets and modify original radiator frame to hold it but it was worth the effort. Good luck

13. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I had Ron Davis Radiators http://www.rondavisradiators.com make mine. I shipped them out the stock one and they fabricated me a new one to the exact size, shape, etc. It wasn't cheep, but it fits very well and works even better.

Don't stop at the radiator though. The bigger issue is air flow, or lack thereof. On a pre 1980 308 the fans use Lucas motors (I think) and are pretty anemic. On later models 308 they are Spal fans but don't push anywhere near as much air as a new fan. I removed the fans, hacked off the brackets and replaced them with two Spal 12" pusher fans, these are the biggest you can get up there without modifiying anything. You'll have to fabricate some new brackets, and the fans just barely fit up there so some fiddling is required.

Also, you'll want to run a dedicated power line to the new fans with new relays, not the ones in the dash. YOu'll essentially be wiring up a new circuit for the new fans as they draw more power over the stock ones.

My car always ran very hot but now runs at 185-195 degrees in any weather.

Th new fans sound like airplanes taking off, unlike the stock one these will remove a finger.

Hope this helps,
    Phil

14. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Speaking of running new wiring for the fans... the aftermarket fans I got from www.summitracing.com are adjustable from 180-200 degrees and come with a temp probe that I inserted into the upper hose and thus I was able to have my radiator built with only an inlet, outlet and air bleeder. No need for the original themo switch on the bottom and in my veiw simplified things and made things less likely to leak.

15. MorningEve

MorningEve Rookie

Feb 7, 2007
    I got my aluminum radiator from Ron Davis Racing Products.

16. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #16 enjoythemusic, Feb 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Got mine from Fchat sponsor Nick Forza and it fits great, has a MUCH BETTER bleeder (burper) and is very solid. Because i track the car a lot she really gets put through its paces and has been excellent, with temps being around 15C lower at peak than the stock unit was on the hottest track days in July/August. In fact did a nearly four hours straight on tarmac test day and had consistent 95C to maybe 100C temps. It might not be inexpensive, yet overheating and blowing up an engine is MUCH more costly. Besides, the stock units weights a lot and it seems a lot of guys are now finding their stock units are really beginning to suffer cracks/leaks. Look at what Ferrari and others use on their modren cars as far as metal type (hint: it aint what the 3x8 had stock).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login