4k to fix a 328 Cam shaft leak? | FerrariChat

4k to fix a 328 Cam shaft leak?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Auraraptor, Feb 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Is that about right? I would think 2k max..

My car is at WWOC at the moment and they said they found it and quote me about that much to correct it. I can't afford that at this moment, considering I am getting another leak corrected (1200) and a clutch job (1800-2k).

They should email me some images soon enough. I never had any drips on the floor of my garage, well what are your thoughts?

2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

4k Sounds like the price for a major service, which would include all new cam seals, belts, valve adjustment and much more. I cannot understand 4K for a cam leak, something is not right. They did my car 2 years ago major and new clutch about $5,400.

3. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    OMAR

CALL ME 888 882 6965

BRUCE

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Something is fishy here.
    If it is a straightforward gasket leak, then $4k is way too much. Heck, even for a seal. Perhaps it is more than a leak?
    Do you have more details?

5. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    JUST SPOKE TO JIM MURPHY , SERV MGR AT WWOC

THE CLUTCH AND LABOR FOR OMARS CAR WAS ABOUT 2K..PRETTY NORMAL...

JIM EXPLAINED TO ME, THAT HE NOTICED A OIL LEAK AND THEN DETERMINED WHILE THEY WILL WORK/ WORKING ON THE CLUTCH THAT THE HEAD GASKET AND CAM SEALS HAD TO BE REPLACED...OMARS OPTION

THE COST FOR A HEAD GASKET, CAM SEALS,AND ABOUT 12 HOURS LABOR IS ABOUT 2K OR SO...NOT TO BAD

WWOC AND JIM MURPHY ARE GREAT PEOPLE AND TRUST HIM, TOTALLY

REGARDS,
    BRUCE

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Can you remove your phone number from the world wide web now? I wouldn't want my phone numbers floating around.

7. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON

DOES MY # BOTHER YOU , IF ITS HERE???

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Those are very good prices, in and of themselves. Not only that, it's much cheaper than the alternative: Suppose this oil seal leak speeds the demise of the timing belt...

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's a very heroic act on BRUCE's part, to get to the bottom of this.

Head gaskets are a LOT of work, justifying the quoted price.

"There's 2 sides to every story" 'Icepick' James Harman

PS I'd do it for my tech, too. "He (J) who shall (R) NOT be (V) named." LOL!

To answer your question, BRUCE can edit post for the next thirty minutes.

10. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Thanks for all the help guys, esp. Bruce! I misunderstood what he was saying.

Baiscly, Justin suggests to me that the best route to get another major done since the first major doesnt seem to be completed to the hightest standards, something I was always worried of in the back of my mind (the major was done as part of the deal to buy the car when I picked it up about 1.5 years ago from the local serivicer) :/

After careful thought, I agreeed and am having a major done along with clutch, so I can account for this and any other soon to arise/potential problems.

I always kept some money ready in case something like this occured so its not too bad. Less money now for upgrades, so I might have to hold off on the new wheels and the upgraded brakes until later. I was hoping to get many things together this winter and install them for the spring, but maintaince is #1.

Thanks all for your help and everything it was very much appreciated. Speedy I agree there are 2 sides to every story, and I do not mean negetive on WWOC, quite the contray they have been A++ in describing what needs to be done and explaining it to me, it is my fault for misunderstanding. In a nutshell IMO there is NO OTHER DEALERSHIP I WOULD RATHER HAVE MY CAR AT. I trust the opinions of many other fchaters in this respect, including James and Bruce.

11. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #11 Auraraptor, Feb 23, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

Good going on there part.
    Usually any Ferrari develops leaks. It was nice of them to show you the leaks and give you a heads up, seeing that it could have possibly leaked on the timing belts(which would have spelled DISASTER).

There price seems very resonable for the major, head gasket, and a clutch.WOW!!

Good Luck to you.

13. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    OMAR

IM GLAD YOU UNDERSTAND THE PRICES NOW, MAYBE NOW YOU CAN SLEEP BETTER TONIGHT...

BRUCE

14. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I had the clutch and major done a few months ago also - 2 more properly maintained 328's out there now! :)