I have driven manual shift sport cars all my life. | FerrariChat

I have driven manual shift sport cars all my life.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by nberry, Feb 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Today I finally had an opportunity to take my 2004 Spider equipped with F1 for a spirited drive. After putting on 50 miles I am completed enthralled with the F1. I found using the F1 requires interaction between myself and the car. The paddles are a blast to use and timing their use requires driver involvement and attention.

Now it is possible the upgrades to the F1 make a difference but based what I have experienced there is no way I would consider a manual shift transmission again.

Those considering F1, I say do not hesitate. They are definately the latest and best technology adding sunstantial enjoyment to the use of your car.

2. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    WOW! It must be pretty awsome to make a statement like this! I hope to experience it one day.

3. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i agree 100 percent!

4. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    Having driven a 03 360 f1 and an 02 6 speed......the f1 is very fun and unique ...howeverI became a liitle bored with is compaired with a 6 speed whickh requires the used of both hand and feet at the same time...this is more driver involvement to me...but everyone has their own tastes and there is not one better than the other......having spoken to several ferrari mechanics the f1 will certainly be more of service headache short term and sepically long term....

5. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Drive a 6 speed in a year or so. You may change your mind. I for one would not want another F1. I use to have an F1 modena and now owns a 6 speed Spider. In fact I'm considering cancelling my Stradale for that reason. I really enjoy rev matching myself and the manual clutch is much better to launch the car.

AW

6. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    I gree with you totally.

7. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    F1 cant be beat on a race track, but for street driving I would still prefer a stick. No doubt the F1 is easier to drive with, and a BUNCH of fun --if not more fun than a stick, but I think there are still some guys out there that are like me, that like to push in the clutch and manually change gears. I just love that metallic click as the gear lever gets into gear on a Ferrari...just awesome!

It seems like Ferrari is going full steam ahead into F1 transmission cars though, so I guess I dont have much of a choice :)

8. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Thanks for the input but nothing beats the original 6-Speed Manaul Transmission (Esepcailly driving a Ferrari on the street). That's IMHO of course.

I'm one of those people who wants to shift while hearing the "Cling-Clong" from the gear. =)

9. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i have driven 360's with F1 gearboxes daily for the past four years (more than 20,000 miles total). i would never go back to a manual gearbox. i have too much fun with the F1 :) but i have to admit that i am not very skilled at the art of heel-toe downshifting, etc. fortunately for me the F1 allows me to concentrate on improving other driving skills.

ferrari does not seem interested in carrying old technology forward. the only reason they make road cars is to generate revenue for their racing program. in turn as their racing program develops new and improved technologies they integrate these ideas into their road cars. i am very happy with this arrangement. i would be very disappointed knowing that they have virtually perfected an F1 gearbox in their formula one cars but opted not to offer it in their road cars.

the writing is on the wall. the days of manual gearboxes in new ferraris are numbered. we're already beginning to see this in the enzo and the 360 stradale.

10. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Nice interior. I like your black/red Daytona seats.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The manuel trans will always be here. Ferrari's hallmark in the interior is the gated shifter. To me a Ferrari is not complete with out one. Most people when they look in a Ferrari interior point out how cool the shift gate is. It has been this way since the first Ferrari.

The F1 is cool and all..but tell me how much you love it when it's getting repaired for the what seems to be millionth time I truly hope that does not happen. You have only driven the car 50 miles..to make a comment like that within such a short amount of time is very implusive. I would give it a little more time behind the wheel before you make a call llike that.

But in the meantime enjoy and have fun!! Thats what these car are all about.

12. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

Thank you, here is a picture from the side:

13. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    when i was at a ferrari event in italy a couple years ago i overheard some informal discussions among some ferrari technical people along the lines of praising the F1 and specifically chatting about the eventual phasing out of manual gearboxes entirely. who knows. it was just something that caught my ear. it's up to luca i suppose. but i'd be willing to bet that by the end of the decade we won't see manual gearboxes offered in any new ferrari.

btw, i had absolutely no problems at all with any of the 360 F1's that i've owned. in fact, i haven't heard much talk at all about people having maintenance issues with their F1's?? have i missed something?

14. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

NOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo!

I patiently waited 2 months searching my lungs out and paid almost $40,000 over MSRP just to get a manual (there were 2 brand new F1 Coupe sitting in Auto Gallery & Ferrari of BH and several others on Dupont Registry which they are willing to let go for $6000 less).

It would be very sad if they wipe out the manual production in the future.

So Ferrari, please don't do that. I beg you.

15. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    This is impressive. Congrats!

I'm not sure about that. I kind of doubt that there is any similarity between the Modena F1 box and what goes in the F1 car. Further Ferrari is now using a sequential manual gearbox on their new GT car instead of the F1 system.

I truly hope that Ferrari keeps both the F1 and a manual gearbox. Even if the manual system is sequential.

AW

16. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Ditto. Nothing can beat it.

17. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    *quick hijack*

Jimmy,

The interior on your car is truly fabulous. I have been following your 5 series on your web site for a while, and was delighted to see you on here with a F car. Obviously you are doing quite well, and congrats on the purchase!

I have a quick question. I always hear red/tan is the best classic combo (though I personally am a fanatic of yellow/black). Having said that, how do you think resale impacts red/black cars as opposed to red/tan cars?

I would like some of your personal input on this. Thank you.

*end of hijack*

6 speed all the way for me, but whatever floats one's boat :)

18. vref

vref Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    1 Hr North of Housto
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yeah those F1 are great right up to the time they break. Then just take your checkbook out and give it to the mechanic, 3 computers, numerous actuators very complicated system.

19. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    I must say that F1 only suit the track best. For street, nothing beat manual transmission.

While I was in the US, I had a chance to use both F355 and F355 F1... the F1 was a fun thing to have, but around town, it's just not smart enough. My brother's 360 suffers similar faith....we are selling the 360 F1...

I had a chance to drove the 360 F1 on the track...it was fun and easy to drive fast...but out on the road, we never need milli sec. gear change. I'd rather do all the work myself and feel in control than relying on the electronic box and hydrolic actuators to operate the clutch for me...

There is no doubt about the F1's potentail...but until Ferrari (or any other) can improve it for around town driving, I'd never buy it again...

By the way, nothing beat that clank-clank sound of the open gate...I'd rather shift slower and enjoy the sound and feeling than a snap change offered by the F1.

20. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

Hey I've never thought about that, that's an interesting Q, I will see if I can do some research and get back to you.

Regards,
    JIMMY
    www.Jimmy54i0i.com <--- Thank you for enjoying my BMW site!

21. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I owned a 2001 Spider for almost two years with 6 speed. The F1 is light years ahead in drivability, performance and comfort.

We all get a charge when occasionally matching revvs in downshifting with the engine and car responding using 6 speed. With the F1 you nailed every time and the engine sound and car response are glorious. Its like going from a manual typewriter to an computer. The difference is that dramatic.

22. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i have not heard of anybody having any serious or expensive problerms with the F1 gearbox. if your main concern when buying a sportscar is the cost of future maintenance then you may want to reconsider buying ferraris of any flavor :)

i would imagine that you are right in that the F1 system is relatively complicated. but if it were something cheap and simple then everybody would have them in their cars, right?

23. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    well said.

24. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    I have had a 355 gts f1 for a few weeks now and I think its personal,having driven manual shift all my life i do miss certain aspects of it however we all have a hatred of change,I find the f1 g/box fantastic to use and certainly would recommend it,I had never thought about having until a friend got one I had a drive and that was it.I think the reference to Ferrari doing away with manual trans is probably correct but I also think it is a mistake we shoulkd have the choice to decide.
    Best regards
    Dave McGuire

25. mcmurb

mcmurb Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Bart McMurry
    I purchased my first f1 last year (355 F1 Serie Fiorano #30) and love it. Those that say it is not good for street are being silly. I drive mine at least three days per week and all weekends through bumper to bumper traffic and wide open highways. Downtown streets and parking garages. I love it. But it is a light, high revving car and the paddle shifting is much more accurate and precise than I could possibly be in a manual (I have had multiple 6 speed manual fcars in the past). To me, a perfectly revved manual shift is as beautiful and rare as a 300 yard tee shot down the middle (I have hit them, but it is one in a million). I have also been the passenger in a car with a driver who swears he is "nailing" the shift points like Schumi during aggressive driving, but he doesn't see my head snapping forward and back with each shift he makes.

Having said all that, I can't imagine anything other than a gated 6 speed in the 550/575. There is something about the shifter sitting there that makes the car "complete" to my eye. When I test drove one, the feeling of the shifter matched to the heavier weight of the car during acceleration seemed perfection to me. Conversely, the f1 seems out of place in the 575.

To me, it is not f1 v 6 speed, certain fcars should be f1 (the new 8's) and some should not (the new 12's and all older cars). Aren't we lucky to have such choices!