About the 288 GTO: was it really supposed to be a rally car? | FerrariChat

About the 288 GTO: was it really supposed to be a rally car?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by jonesn, Feb 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Someone mentioned to me once that the GTO was created to be a Group B rally car, but the league ended before the 288 was made public.

If that were the case, I'd love to see it converted into rally specs. Could you imagine if Car & Driver did a comparison of a 288 GTO Rally and the Porsche 959 Paris/Dakar? WOW!

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually it was destined for Group B. That's why they had to make 200 cars for homologation (the 'O' in the name for omologato). Due to customer demand, they increased that number to 272.

I have actually copies of the FIA homologation papers for the GTO. It was no rumour.

As much as I would have loved to see the GTO battle the 959, I think the Porsche would have had the ultimate advantage. But just seeing the GTO going sideways over some dirt road makes me cringe with joy.

3. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    What all would need to be done to the car to make it full rally spec? That would certainly be a rare piece in a collection.

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Rollcage, racing seat, fire extinguisher, 2 way radio and a bunch of high beams on the front.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Weren't they also going to change Le Mans to Group B also???

Pete

6. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    Right, but what about the clearance of the car? The dirt tires alone won't give it enough space from the ground would it?

7. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Group B applied to more than just rally cars. It think the original plan was for tarmac rallies and Le Mans which was to run Group B cars. Porsche did run a 959 derivative (961 I seem to recall) at Le Mans, but I'm not sure what class it eventually ran in.