mondial qv emissions questions | FerrariChat

mondial qv emissions questions

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mikeg, Feb 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikeg

mikeg Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    I have an 85 mondial qv euro that recently failed a state emissions test. The HC part. I guess it means that there is unburned gas or something that relates to that issue.

I was surprised because it passed last year with and has had little mileage..
    I pulled the plugs and they smelled a little gassy....

any easy sugestions?

Mike

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    If it is a Euro, the EPA/DOT paperwork should document either an emissions exemption or a previously approved/tested level. Not sure about your state requirements.

I believe the US qvs had dual cats that the euros did not have. That being said, you may can tweak (lean) the K-jetronic mixture enough, at least temporarily, to pass emissions using an exhaust sniffer. That would be the first thing I would try if the car does not have an exemption.

Good luck!
    rt

3. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    Try and run the car till it is nice and hot before you take it in. Also, this is going to sound crazy, but I have seen it work. Change over to Synthetic oil. Plus a new set of plugs is a good Idea and maybe even a step hotter than you have now. Good luck.I am getting a QV this spring so would appreciate how you make out.
    David

4. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Does your Mondial have cats installed? If not you might have to install some. If so you can buy one cheaply for $250ish. Not sure where the euro exhaust would mate up to it. Im assuming there is a straight pipe where the cat might be?

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    David - OBTW
    Terrific cars!! Can't wait to see the double bubble restored!
    best
    Russ

6. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    The Euro exhaust system is quite different than the US. If you do decide to add the cats, a good custom muffler shop can work something out. Would suggest using a two cat system like the US qvs instead of single like the later 3.2s.
    Good luck

7. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    Actually long story on those 2 cars, but I will include a picture of my "intact" cars.
    Thanks