Brunch in NYC on April 18th | FerrariChat

Brunch in NYC on April 18th

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by notoboy, Feb 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi Guys,
    I met up with pchop a week or so ago and we tentatively set a date for an NYC get-together for brunch in Manhattan.

Details will follow, but we will be getting together around 11am or 12pm on Sunday, April 18th at Barolo restaurant on West Broadway in NYC. Street parking will be saved for us in front of the restaurant, and a special brunch will be prepared. We'll see how it goes and possibly do a once a month Ferrari brunch.

Mark it on your calendars if you're interested in coming.
    David

P.S. Looking forward to meeting up with the LI guys at Captree/OBI when it warms up.

2. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    Below is the recent review from Citysearch on Barolo. I love the food, the staff and the ambiance...especially the garden in the back.

-----------------------------------------------
    All of your outdoor dining prayers are answered.

This might be just another sleek Soho Italian restaurant, if not for the spectacular, tree-lined garden in the back. The Piedmontese menu is a mixed bag--excellent calamari and grilled fish, but sometimes disappointing pasta. The attraction, though, is the outdoor space. The soaring proportions may remind you that Italy is not only home to fine foods and wine but also to Il Duce. After a few glasses of Barolo, you might even consider invading Abyssinia.

3. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    So they have Ferrari friendly parking? I think I will be in for this. Finally an event on a Sunday! I'll keep checking this thread for details.

4. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    This place is 3 seconds from my house. Yeah, there's great parking. No worries.

5. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
  6. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    I'm down for the brunch! (unless I'm out of town) Ate at Barolo before and I agree with you guys on the reviews....it's pretty good :)

Special Parking for Ferraris? You mean directly outside of the restaurant? Or in a parking garage nearby?

7. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    hmmm i could wake up early enough for that

8. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Count me in. Great idea -- thanks for organizing!

That being said, I guess we're all a little curious David as to whether the "street parking" that Barolo indicated would be available to us would be safe, secure and cordoned off? Would it be in front of the restaurant?

9. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    I would be happy to attend.

David, long time no speak!

10. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    Sounds like fun.

11. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Sounds like a great idea. I'll be there.

nlh

12. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Another idea for another time would be a drive to bear mtn and brunch there. The drive to bear mountain is very nice and the brunch at the lodge there is decent.

13. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    I spoke to the owner and chef, and they promised that they would cordon off the street parking for us to park on both sides of West Broadway in front of the restaurant. If you would like, I'm certain that we can procure some cones to make passing cars more aware to keep a safe distance.

For any who are interested, here is the website for the restaurant:
    http://www.nybarolo.com/barolo.cfm

If a bunch of people are interested, we can set up a drive after the brunch. I'm open to suggestions, e-mail me with ideas: [email protected]

David

14. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Superb. Thanks for checking David. I think that we should look into the option of cones, since I'm sure a bunch of Ferrari's on a busily traversed section of SoHo will attract a lot of attention.

Nothing would be better than following up the brunch with a drive. Since I don't have a strong sense of the most scenic/fun routes, I'll leave the specifics to the pros. There was some commentary on a couple of other recent threads, though, as to the "best" Tri-State drives, some of which are easily accessible from the city. However, please count me in.

Looking forward to this. Again, thanks for organizing.

15. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    The other thing to throw out there, given the thread today on Classic Coach, is perhaps to schedule a pitstop there after lunch. I've never been there. In addition to the new Gallardo's, others have noted that Frank seems to have interesting and unique Ferrari's that we could all oogle over. If I'm not mistaken CC is in Elizabeth, NJ, which is only about a half-hour away. We could stop there for, say, an hour or two, and then move or.

I'd be happy to help coordinate this aspect of our get-together, assuming of course that people are interested.

16. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    Ghost:

That sounds great. If you need help let me know. I am located on Exit 9 of the turnpike so I am not that far away from that dealership. Let me know

Talk to you soon

Keith

17. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Sounds good.

18. Trinacria

Trinacria Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Baldassare Guzzo
    Please keep us updated. Sue and I will be attending.

19. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    David, as the date is approaching, just curious to know if there are any updates? Thanks.

20. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    This brunch @ Barolo still hapenning this SUnday april 18th? Also I just went by there yesterday and I dont think they have enough sidewalk space to accomodate more than 3 cars. Any details on the parking situation too?

21. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Hey Guys,
    Just spoke to the owner of Barolo. He is trying to get a permit to block off spaces on both sides of the street for 10+ cars guaranteed. I will post all of the brunch info when I speak to him later, or first thing tomorrow morning.

The idea will be to meet and possibly go for a drive afterwards. We could also go for an early morning drive (before traffic) and then go to Barolo afterwards for brunch?

David

22. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Is there a car count as to who will be going? Because if we get like 15 F cars and there are only 13 spaces.....where are the other 2 going to park? I dont like to park in the lots in SoHo.

I plan on going so maybe we can start a car count now. Guess I will arbitrarly start it off as Car #1 going to Barolo brunch.

23. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    This would be my preference David, as I generally find the earlier we head out, the cleaner the roads, and also the less chance of having a nasty introduction with the cops.

Perhaps we could meet at around 8:30am/9:00am, drive for a couple of hours, and then end up at Barolo for brunch at say 11:30-ish.

24. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    All sounds very good.

David:

Do we know what the menu for the brunch is going to be like or is it a buffet?

The parking situation, any details?

Talk to you soon

Keith

25. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    If not, its ok. Please post some pictures!