Great drives in Arizona & Nevada... in August... | FerrariChat

Great drives in Arizona & Nevada... in August...

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by Brian C. Stradale, Jun 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    With a trip from Texas to Monterey and another trip from Monterey to Texas (hopefully following a different path), I need to do some route planning. The goal is to find roads that are fun to drive, but still get me across the states with reasonable efficiency... to find that, I need some local expertise on Arizona and Nevada...

Arizona:
    I know I40... just lotsa dull straight slab. (Just did that back from Vegas.)
    How about I10... is it just as dull? Looks worse on the maps, actually.
    Any good alternatives?
    How is US60?
    Any great side-trips off I40 to break things up?
    How is US89 in AZ? Looks more interesting, but may be a major delay?
    And Alt89 vs US89?

Nevada:
    How is I80?
    How is US50?
    How is US6?
    How is US95? Is there any good way west into California? Perhaps hopping from 95 to 395 in CA and then through Yosemite?
    Any great side-trips?

Thanks!
    (BTW, this is related to this larger thread in General.)

2. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    US 50 is "the loneliest hiway in America" It is single lane with lots of mile after mile straightaways. Virtually no traffic.

US 6 is the same story. The road winds gently thru a pass and then runs arrow straight for 20 miles across a valley to another gently winding pass.
    You will learn why they call the geology of central Nevada "Basin and range"

From US 6 you can take a cutoff road (HWY 120 if memory serves) to 395. You hit 395 very close to Lee Vining. From there you can go over Tioga Pass (10k feet and scenery to die for) and down into Yosemite valley.

You can choose to rune due west into the bay area and then take a dircect road into Monterey, OR you can angle south out of Yosemite and try Hwy J1 as described at www.pashnit.com

Enjoy the drive,

Erich

3. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    erich it looks like we like some of the same roads...

50 through Nevada is one of the most scenic drives I've done. It can be very fast at times as you can see for miles and miles. Just be on the lookout for livestock at night. Keep an eye on the fuel as well because it's often about 75 to 100 miles between towns. I never get tired of this road, one time i pulled over to have a sandwich and relax, and nobody came down the road for an hour from either direction.

4. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    If you hit Lee Vining on the way make sure and save a little time for Mono Lake.

5. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    It sure does.

I will be going across Nevada in just about a month. Too bad it will be in an RV :(

I haven't decided if I want to come across on 50 or 6. I am going from Yellowstone back to San Diego. On the way out I am going up I15. I want a different route on the way back.

6. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    Brian

i run Nevada alot to openroadracing.com events and used to live in NE NV.. NV has the best deserted roads for running 100-160 w/ low risk of arrest.. the best roads for this are N-S 2 lanes like 378, 305, 318, 278, 225. any black line road on the map has no cop high speed likelihood.

the 6 and 50 are fabulous high speed roads with limited traffic but with NHP - so chill to 115 until you ID oncoming and never outdrive your sightline or Valentine, he could be over the next rise.

I80 had the most NHP, but easy ro run 125 in empty road spurts, 90 when passing.

95 is pretty high risk on NHP, bit i run 90-130. near goldfield, he hides with instant on behind gravel piles... lots of traffic from las vegas as well... least attractive road to use...

7. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    I am going to the Ferrari Rampage in Sonoma in May. I will be driving the 575 from AR. How is the NHP activity on 93 and 50 and is snow a problem in the Tahoe area in early May.

Steve