308 Stereo Head Unit Replacement | FerrariChat

308 Stereo Head Unit Replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by wtf, Jun 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wtf

wtf Rookie

Jun 19, 2004
    Minnesota
    I have just purchased a '79 GTS and will be replacing the Alpine receiver and graphic equalizer (getting lots of static, plus I want a unit for MP3 discs). I assume these were probably dealer-installed, along with the in-door speakers and external tweeters/crossovers. Is the dash removal straightforward? I'll probably just get a powered head unit and save the external amp(s)/sub-in-kick panel/etc. until I decide if I really need more (and get braver about pulling apart a Ferrari :) I will also replace the speakers if the current ones don't work out.

Thanks for any thoughts - it's an exciting car to own, and I've been finding a lot of good info here.

2. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    the 308 never came with a radio. There are threads about this. Try doing a search on them. I'm not sure about the dash removal

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    As a car audio, technology, and track driving enthusiast...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/mec/home/0,,2076_3123,00.html

http://www.avic-n1.com/

This unit was JUST released and will do all you desire and then some. Best bet is to see their websites. Pics of it installed below. Basically, CD, DVD-Video, MP3, GPS, VEHICLE DYNAMICS, and much more :) It fits nicely in the car, has a large touch panel screen, custom background images, and also tells me the G-forces as i drive :)

No need to remove dash, just unstall the "stock" unit and installed it. BE SURE you use what they call a "back strap" to support the rear of the unit (ask a car audio installer about it).

As for speakers, i love the New Old Stock Nakamichi SP series 6.5-inch separates (the ones with external crossover and silk dome tweeters. The Pioneer offers 50 watts poer channel, though i use a Nakimichi New Old Stock PA series 4??. The Nak struff is in the Honda BTW, have ok quality Pioneer coax in the Fcar. If i were you, look for good sounding HIGH SENSIVITY speakers for the Fcar.

4. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Kick A$$ Steve

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Steve, I like.

Question, does Nav come standard, or do you have to get something in addition to it's 2k MSRP?

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    There were no "external tweeters/crossovers" either. Basically the entire stereo is not stock. The only factory components would have been speakers and antenna. And the speakers were crap. The ones I took out of my similar 78 GTS were el cheapo.

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    For $2k you get GPS standard and two DVD NAV discs come with it that covers the entire USA. So... nothing more needed.

EXTRA$$$ include external camera (for rear view, etc), Sat. Radio, full 5.1 surround sound decoding/output, disc changer, voice recognition, wireless remote control... and other things i forget. See Pioneer's website for more info.

HINT: If you want to watch DVD videos while the car is on (and do not want to mess around with the emergency brake light wire) just hook the Pioneer's brake light wire to a wire that has + (power) when the car's key is in accessory/on mode :)

i was a high-end car audio installer and it only took me about 1.5 hours and i took my sweet slow time. i guess a newbie COULD do it in 2 hours but MAKE SURE you get a wiring harness or KNOW what color wire equals what. The very light weight external GPS/gyro box fit perfectly behind the passenger footrest. Just unscrew the passenger foot rest plate and mount the small external box there. As for the GPS antenna, i have it mounted on the center of dash very close to the windshield. If you have ANY installation questions feel free to e-mail me or post them here.

Also, NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE use fold-over crimps, either use crimp caps or solder/heat shrink the wires together.