Exhaust options, Tubi et al... | FerrariChat

Exhaust options, Tubi et al...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by ian_jory, Jun 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ian_jory

ian_jory Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Whilst it certainly appears that Tubi's are the exhausts to have, does anyone have any experience or information (comparisons, reports etc..) on some of the other systems that seem to be around? E.g. MS Racing, ITO, Larini etc.. (others?) Or if I can be directed to any online info? The key requirements (obviously) are a bit more bhp and a good noise!

I have heard that Tubi's for the Mondial do, in fact, sound pretty damn good - but I was wondering if there are any alternatives that might be better.

2. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I had a stainless system supplied by Kent High Performance on my 328 which sounded great (and loud!)

Dunno who made it.

I've got a Tubi on my 355, which I love but only done 60 mls so far with it!

It is a matter of opinion really, I'd suggest getting along to a meeting or track day and hearing a few... failing that, Manu at Scuderia Systems I'm sure could help.

Also, I'd ask the same question in the model specific area as US owners are also very into sports exhausts...

Robert.

3. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve

kent high perfomance fit bell systems i had one on a testarossa it sounded great

4. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Below is a cut n paste of a v good review from another Ferrari forum .It was written for the US market but hope it helps;

The most common and most effective aftermarket improvement available to most Ferraris is a replacement stainless steel muffler. The stock unit is quite heavy, and not known for its flow abilities or tone - in fact, if you fell the pulses at idle on a US single cat 328 they are of different strength side to side.

Tubistyle
    The haute couture of aftermarket mufflers for Ferraris has become the Tubistyle. 'Tubi' makes exhaust components for Ferrari factory racing applications and are of exceptional quality. They have been shown on a dyno to bring hp up across the entire band, and many folks notice a seat-of -the-pants difference after installation. I know I did on my Mondial 3.2.
    Tubis use an 'acoustic box' technology which gives them a very recognizable sound - not much louder than stock at idle, but a throatier sound. Once throttle is applied - whoa nelly! Especially over 5000 rpm tubis have a modern F1-ish 'wail' that has made them quite famous. Personally, it sounds 1000% better than a stock system if you are in the mood, although a bit loud if you are trying to be low profile - people will hear you coming . They are also famous for the tubi boom - a resonant booming tone between 3000 - 4000 rpm that some people find annoying on long trips.
    They are among the most expensive, but the recognized heritage, build quality, performance improvement and ease of installation have made them the clear front runner. http://www.tubistyleusa.com/

Stebro
    This Canadian manufacturer of s/s exhausts has a popular following, especially for their muffled straight pipe cat replacements. Also using stainless steel, their product is not quite as visually dazzling as a tubi, but then neither is their price at aboyt 1/2 of a tubi. Stebro does not polish the muffler excepy the tips. Stebro tips are unique and kinda cool - they have removable inserts that the owner can put for street in or remove for competition. While I have not personally heard a Stebro, many owners find them a big improvement over the stock muffler, and say it is not as loud as a tubi. There have been a couple of isolated reports of difficulty in installation that has required some fiddling, but their general overall owner opinion is that they are quite good - especially for the price. http://www.stebro.net/

Ansa
    In addition to making the stock Ferrari mufflers for years, Ansa makes a 'Sport system' which I have not heard. I know one guy from FerrariChat who has one who swears by it. The Ansa black pipes with redstripe leading to a chrome angle cut quad exhaust are so Ferrari for those of us children of the 60s and 70s. While I would not recommend the stock system, I think the Sport system certainly bears a look. http://www.ansaautomotive.com/ansasport/listings/ferrari.html

Specialty makers
    There are several custom bespoke exhaust system makers out there, and their custom work is their advantage, as they will tool up and make what ever you want.
    Larini - A London firm that has a lot of Lamborghini experience, but also does Ferraris. The head guy there, David Clark, is terrific to work with on the phone and goes to great lengths to get you what you 'really' want. For example, I am spaking to David now on a Euro style sport muffler with a lower tone and custom Daytona style tips for my US Mondial 3.2. They also do custom s/s headers as well. JRV reports that their quality he has seen has been excellent. http://www.larinisystems.com/
    Quicksilver (London Stainless) is another UK that does bespoke work for special applications all over the world. They have just picked up an American distributor and are looking to expand their market. Again, good quality reports from JRV. http://www.quicksilverexhausts.com/
    Capristo - Becoming very popular with the 355 crowd. Have not heard one but the owners sat they are great. A dealer link is all I have, and sound files are available; Nicks also sells Mille Miglia and CSC systems that I am not familiar with - perhaps someone on F-Talk can fill in.: http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/forzaferrariwebsite1003.htm

Summary
    There are a lot of options out there at a lot of prices. Many folks are trying to cut into Tubistyles booming business as market leader, but be careful when comparing systems that you get the exact application for your car. For example - Euro 328s have a VERY different exhaust system than their American cousins! Bottom line is deal with someone who knows what they are talking about and get what you want. As far as performance claims remember this general rule - buy the exhaust for the sound, not the power and you will not be disappointed. That said, it will probably be the best aftermarket improvement you can make for the enjoyment of your car.

5. ian_jory

ian_jory Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Thanks for the info guys, I'll look into Bell from Kent High Performance - I was going to ask if anyone had any info on ITO systems but having just read the Box Hill Ride out thread and seen the price of Bernard's ITO (£3k!!!!) I think I'll have to pass! However, I have some info on a Quicksilver Supersports silencer for around 800 quid - anyone have any knowledge or experience of these? Apparently made of type 304 and supplied through London Stainless Steel exhaust Centre.

6. ian_jory

ian_jory Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ian

7. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    you have a pm

8. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    This is quite a saving over the full kit from Tubi - but, I guess like everything, in most case you have to consider that you get what you pay for![/QUOTE]

I think the Ferrari parts prices debate show that you don't necessarily!

Don't assume just because something is cheaper that it is not as good- Tubi et al might charge up for their exhausts because of their popular reputation.

As I said, if you can, have a listen and form your own opinion.

Robert.

9. gts328uk

gts328uk Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Has anyone had any experience of fitting a tubi or other sports exhaust to a 328, any ideas as to sound etc. Spoke to Ajay at SS but the soundbite he sent me was at low revs only.

Mark

10. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I had a ss exhaust supplied by KHPC, I believe made by Bell, fitted to my 328 by the previous owner. Looked great quality.

Sounded utterly fab- crackles on the over-run, great at all rev ranges, esp after 4k. Wish I'd taken some videoclips of it before I sold it. Defo recommended, but a bit intrusive on a long motorway run...

Not heard a Tubi in the metal on a 328, but I'm sure it'd be good.

Robert.

11. jrs

jrs Formula 3

Jun 14, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    James S
    Manu fitted a Tubi on my 328 Berlinetta. Made a huge diffence to the idle tone and sounded great at revs. Made the car sound like a real car and less like a sewing machine. Great investment. I think the car performed better but always difficult to tell.