1st time pulled over - quick ? | FerrariChat

1st time pulled over - quick ?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by StallionRx, Jun 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. StallionRx

StallionRx Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    South CT
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hey everyone-

Saturday I took my M3 out to the beach with my girlfriend and I got stopped by a cop for doing about 15 miles per hour over the speed limit.(35 in a 20) The way I was stopped was pretty much BS- as the road I was on drops down from a 30 zone to a 20 for merely a short turn then back to a 30. He says he got me in the 20 zone. Whatever.

Anyways, I had never been pulled over before, but had always been to told to be as polite as possible. I was really nice to the guy and he ended up just giving me a warning ticket. He explained to me- no court date, no fine or anything like that, but im just curious to know if its recorded anywhere or gets sent to insurance. Just in case that i do get nailed again, im curious to know if it would be impossible to talk my way out of another ticket considering this may show up on the cops computer.

Thanks for any help.

Mark

2. bobleb

bobleb Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Bob Lebenson
    I have no idea where you live, but I think in most locales you're not going to have anything reported to insurance.

3. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I *think* the way it works here is that if there is no other charges of the same type in a certain time period than nothing comes of it. If he actually gave you a warning ticket, meaning he actually filled out something and gave you a copy, then the details should be on it somewhere. I was given a warning ticket for parking in a fire lane. It had the details on the ticket. According to state law where I parked was not a fire lane but since it was a warning and would not become anything I let it go.

4. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Back in the day when I had a 928 I got stopped for going 72mph on a 25 mph offramp. The cop asked if I knew how fast I was going and I said I was not sure and I asked how he clocked me. He said on his radar gun. I told him that was impossible because doppler radar can not pick up curvilinear motion. He gave me a stupid look and asked how I knew that. I told him I was an engineer and had textbooks in the back seat. He let me go with just a warning. Good BS but my curvilinear motion explaination is just that. BS. It worked though.

5. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    It's all about communication...

"umm... sorry officer you have the wrong guys. We are driving 360's not 350's...(dramatic pause) you must be looking for a couple of Nissans..."

PD

6. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    BTW--

Most states, the on/offramp speed is just an "advised" speed. The speedlimit is that of the road you are traveling on.
    i.e. getting on the freeway, once you cross the cross walk or any other line desginating the freeways begining, you are now leagly able to do 65, but if the signs says 30 around the hairpin, the cop can right that as the advised speed and posted would be 65. Lil thing learned on a CHP ride-a-long.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I got stopped once for driving irratically (WTF is that). I assume it meant that I was driving fast ocassionally and he was following me. Well yep that was true I was giving her a blast away from the lights and around corners and then backing off before it got too exciting ...

Anyway I was very polite and simply said that I was going home to my girl friend and we were in the middle of an argument ...

You could see the sympathy or 'been there done that' in the cops eyes and he let me off with a warning and 'good luck' :)

Pete

8. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Used to get pulled over quite a bit when i was younger. It was always the same thing. Cop would turn on the lights walk up to the car and then look at my DL and tell me to get the hell out of there (dad usually was there seargent)

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I got a fine for 25 in a 15. Sounds to me like some typical jagoff cop had a hard-on for nailing a sportscar that day!

His sister probably intimidated him that morning by threatening to beat him again in an arm wrestle!

DL

10. lwpat

lwpat Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    If he wrote you a warning it does not get reported and will not show up on your motor vehicle report. It sounds like he has a favorite spot and uses the speed trap just to stop and check for other violations like DUI.

If you had mouthed off you can bet you would have received a speeding ticket rather than just a warning.

11. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS

You are fine. A warning, when I was on the force, was just that. And was not recorded anywhere. In fact, I had a little file I kept and I would toss them every month into the trash.

12. StallionRx

StallionRx Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    South CT
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hey guys- thanks alot for the quick replies. I figured nothing would be reported, but I just wanted to double check.

The pic with the 2 360s is way cool.

Stangelove- your profile pic is slammin.

Thanks again!