Interior Plastic melting problem | FerrariChat

Interior Plastic melting problem

Discussion in '360/430' started by garysp7, May 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I read a thread where 355 owners are having a serious problem regarding the plastic on the dash and console melting from the humidity and or heat. Then I read where some 550 owners had experienced this?
    Can anyone elaborate more about this relating to 550's and 575's? Do both models suffer from this? Is this a common problem or not? I am living in Florida and the car I am shopping for now will live here.
    I recently say a 99 550 and the middle console looked a little deformed by the ashtray and my friend and I could not figure out what had happened to the car. Is this part of that problem?
    How do you prevent it?
    Thanks
    Gary

2. newfer

newfer Karting

Jun 3, 2004
    Over here in thailand, we clean off all the paint, then repaint the part. This is due to the waterbased paint, which has a life of only a few years. You could always buy a new part?$$$$$$

3. FerrariCF

FerrariCF Karting

Apr 14, 2004
    The problem is occured by peple not using the right products to clean there interior. Many interior cleaners will cause the interiors to become "sticky" or to melt, especially in florida. And it can be quite expensive to replace all the parts. Just sold the parts to a 355 customer, cost him about $3500. Be carefull what you use on your car. And Don't EVER use Armor All.

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    No the real problem is that Ferrari uses crap.

If you have this problem, what I have found takes that stuff off the fastest is a razor. Once you have as much off as you can with the razor, then use laquer thinner to clean the rest off. Paint it with semi-flat black, and your good to go. If you replace the part with the junk from the factory you are just gonna have the problem appear again.

5. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Are we talking about the soft-touch clear coat used on window switches, center console etc ... ?

6. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    What do you recommend using to clean the interior ?

7. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    A duster, or water with a tiny bit of soap.

Robert.