Does anyone have an Elise on order? | FerrariChat

Does anyone have an Elise on order?

Discussion in 'British' started by damcgee, Jun 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    The Elise has been on the cover of EVERY car magazine I received this month (about five, but I've lost count). The newest Car and Driver is the first one I have seen with hard numbers.

0-60 in 4.4
    1/4mi in 13.0

This is a much quicker car than I expected it to be, and no one questions its handling ability. It pulled 1.06 g's on the skidpad!!!

I am surprised I have not seen anyone on this site talking about them. Is anyone ordering one/ interested/ considering?

2. stax

stax Karting

May 30, 2004
    toronto, montreal
    Full Name:
    --
    i am ... unfortunately not available in canada
    Stupid canadian laws
    but we have a refundable deposit on one

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Hey Crim. Does your dad have any property in the US that he could "store" it at for part of the year and get plates there?

Craig - you wouldn't even get a targa car while living in Hawaii?? I guess the flash rainshowers kind of discourage that, and the lack of *really* good driving roads. It would be fun to boot along Kam highway in one, if there was no traffic.

How's the HI thing working out for you?

4. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    If they eventually bring the Exige here, I'll bite. Open air cars just don't do it for me.

Craig

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I wish I did.....

6. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi guys whats the problem with our little elise on the roads where you live,
    is it a saftey/smog issue,know your getting the toyota engined one shiped over saw it at the motor show,wish theyd have stuck a different engine in it though,

cheers
    Dale.

7. stax

stax Karting

May 30, 2004
    toronto, montreal
    Full Name:
    --

no ... no. The emisions are fine. the front fender is made from a lightweight material, just like the rest of the car. And in canada there is some regulation about it being able to withstand some speed without denting. in the U.S. it is lower. thus they can sell it there
    you can change the front fender... to make it street legal, as if you were importing it, but it basically ruins the whole point of the car, and that is to be lightweight
    same reason that they can't sell the new GTO here

8. stax

stax Karting

May 30, 2004
    toronto, montreal
    Full Name:
    --
    also ... when we put our deposit down, in january... there was already a one year wait. even though the car hadn't been announced... some enthusiasts really want a jump on it... and from what i've heard, the car is worth it.

9. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Vijeet thanks for that,so its a saftey object with the front fender,
    shame realy its a beauty,

cheers
    Dale.

10. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Hell no, that's the best part--you don't have to worry about some expensive exotic motor. I've heard Lotus is going to be using a BMW engine in the next Esprit? Also a smart move I say. Purists may not like it, but it's great from a maintenance standpoint. Sales will be much better too.

I'd like to see the Elise vs the Noble.

11. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    You know the Elise would be totally irresistable except for the unfortunate (over) styled body. I'd love to have the car (a later day Dino) but at 46 yo I'm a little put off by all the ....ummm... body details.

12. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Wait 12-14 months. You will be happy.

--Dan

13. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Also, factory TRD s/c fits in the Elise and upcoming Exige. I am not sure how they will handle warranty, though.

--Dan

14. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    XS Engineering also has an 8psi turbo kit for the Celicas worth an extra 90bhp. However, I think the s/c kit, and it's bottom end would be much more fun.

Craig

15. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I agree -- the design is way too cartoonish. But maybe it won't look so freaky in black!

I'm waiting for a less gaudy coupe version.

16. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    I've got one on order! But then I did read alot of comic books as a kid

17. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

No, no, it's our federal Transport Canada 5-mph bumper regulation. I have heard rumours about a group putting a deal together to officially import, sell and support the Elise in Canada.

Don't worry about the GTO. The Camaro/Firebird's a better car.

18. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    It does look like a Pokemon character from the front. I prefer the previous version. A fellow employee, or relo from the UK drove one around in SF for 6 months before he had to ship it back. It is a gokart with fenders !

19. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Seconded!

20. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    Wait a second... They're bringing the Elise to America? How did I not hear about this? More info anyone? Suggested price range for a new one? When to expect them on the streets, etc?

-DC

21. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
  22. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    The front and rear clamshells are so light you can pick them up with one hand each...

--Dan

23. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I have no idea. You don't read car magazines, do you?

My brother in Denver ordered one when they were announced (maybe 9 months ago) and got in on the first batch, but deliveries have been delayed. They initially told him May, now it's October. Maybe they are pulling a Ferrari stunt and getting cars to higher-profile buyers that are not on the list, although this doesn't seem like the kind of car to appeal to athletes and celebrities.

The performance pretty much matches what the initial reports were, but the price has gone up. Kinda goofy looking in my opinion, and I would look for a year-old E46 M3 for the same money, but that's just me.

Gary

24. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Manhattan Motorcars in NYC already had one sitting in the showroom as of June 21st

25. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    I saw a silver US spec Elise on the road last week, it's goofy looking(just my opinion). First off, it needs some wider wheels/rubber. I prefer the look of last year's Elise better.