Lord Brocket...wow ....destroyed ferraris!!! | FerrariChat

Lord Brocket...wow ....destroyed ferraris!!!

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by SupercarGuru, Jun 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Hey Everyone i did some extensive research into the many many claims against Lord Brocket READ THIS!

http://www.absolute-speakers.co.uk/afterdinnerspeakers/brocket.html

"In the Eighties, he started to buy classic Ferraris as an investment. They increased their value tenfold in just a couple of years and his bank funded him to develop a proper business buying and selling Ferraris. Then the classic car industry collapsed virtually overnight and the bank reclaimed the loan * and planned to seize Brocket Hall.

Faced with losing his family home and business, Lord Brocket made what he now says was the most foolish and wrong decision of his life, for which he will always be desperately sorry. He and his wife and two mechanics arranged to have four Ferraris dismantled, pretended they had been stolen, then they put in an insurance claim of £4.5 million. In fact, he never collected any of the money because the bank came up with a rescue package and the insurance claim was withdrawn. Nothing would have happened had Isa not later been arrested for forging drug prescriptions and she told the police about the plot. Brocket was arrested and imprisoned for conspiracy to fraud..."

THIS IS WHAT HE DID!!!

from QV500.com

Later supposedly stolen by thieves overcoming an intruder alarm system at Brocket Hall in 1995 (along with a 250 GT Europa, 195 Sport and Maserati Tipo 61 Birdcage) it is now known that 0138 A's bodywork was removed from it's chassis, cut into pieces with an axle-grinder and destroyed by none other than the good Lord himself. The remaining components were hidden and recovered intact while Brocket went onto be charged some years later for attempted fraud. A Vignale Spyder style body has now been fitted to the car that, whilst very attractive, is nevertheless incorrect.

http://www.maranello.cc/german/pirro/Galleries.Eventi/f50anni/250GT.SWB.3565GT.F50a.01.htm

Note: Lord Brocket created a 250 GT SWB Comp with the number 3565GT may be inspired by the Jesse Pouret Book, the car was sold via Prancing Horse Farm to Jon Shirley as a genuine one.

Thought i should share!

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Old sad news my friend ...

Amazingly he is now out and playing the high life again. I know they were just cars but gee he has shown is true colours in my opinion, how come people welcome him back??

I guess he still has a few bucks and nothing appears to make friends quicker ... in this moralless world.

Pete's opinion

3. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    I had dealings with Lord Charles Brocket in the 1980s, and would add a couple of comments.

1) Most of the cars he bought were not that special, and the "ten-fold" rise in values in a couple of years was imaginary.

2) The insurance claim was withdrawn for different reasons. Had he pursued the claim the company was prepared with legal actions against the claimed theft. (The claimed values were based on a supposed sale to Japanese buyers, who were now going to sue Brocket for the amount of the cars they didn't buy. Brocket claimed that amount as justification for the value of the claim.)

3) Probably the most important car he owned, the claimed "250 MM" featured in "Victory by Design," is and always was a 212, not a 250. Brocket and his restorer created a car which had never existed. (And I know -- I formerly owned the car.) It's still a 212 -- with all his claims he never even bothered to update the engine to a three liter 250; it's still a 2.6 liter 212. It's being properly restored in the U.S. today.)

4) The 340 Vignale Cabriolet, 0138, had already been bastardized before Brocket owned it and then cut it up. Today it also carries a copy of a body which was never on the car.

Brocket is out of prison, and is now (among other things) appearing as a minor celebrity on British TV.

4. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Not much was lost when Brocket cut up the bodywork of 0138AM; at least the nose had been extensively modified earlier on and after Brocket had all sorts of holes, slits and scoops added there wasn't much left of the original body. In the end this car may have been one of the ugliest Ferraris ever to exist!

Instead I'm very sad that he destroyed 195 Inter Touring Coupe 0123S. I don't know which shape it was in at the time but I love early Touring Coupes, which besides being very beautiful are also very rare!

Best wishes, Kare

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I had read somewhere of an effort to reassemble some of the cars....

What a wanker!.......

Speedy308s OPINION only......

6. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    This one is reassembled: 0421GT. In Cavallino of february/march 2004.
    See also: www.hietbrink.com click on models --> more models
    Great car in very nice two-tone (original) colors

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Pete's removed this post contents ... needs to have a coffee ;)

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Pete, I think you're misreading OG's post. His comment was made in response to a statement that appeared in the article referred to in AllOutExotic's original post.

The statement:
    "In the Eighties, he started to buy classic Ferraris as an investment. They increased their value tenfold in just a couple of years and his bank funded him to develop a proper business buying and selling Ferraris."

OG's response:
    "Most of the cars he bought were not that special, and the "ten-fold" rise in values in a couple of years was imaginary."

I'm certain he wasn't defending "Charlie" in any way.

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes I thought I might have got off track ... hence my 'and probably completely misunderstanding your post and ranting way off direction' sentence.

My appologies to Old Guy :)

Pete's going back to work

11. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Regardless if the cars he destroyed were important,how could someone have the audacity to take a 250 GTE 2+2 and modify it to represent and sell it as a 250 SWB California Spider!

-jt

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Berlinetta, actually.

13. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    #13 SupercarGuru, Jun 22, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
    over looked that sorry!

thanks!

-jt

14. tedzwedz

tedzwedz Rookie

May 15, 2004
    York & London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edward Towers
    This was a very common practice by dodgy dealers in teh 1980s im afraid

15. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #15 Boudewijn, Jun 27, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Charles Brocket can easily be summed up by this little story,

A TV Programme had a young boy who's dream was to go in a vintage Ferrari, Brocket duly took the lad out in his Fake GTO (built from the remains of a GTE but claiming to have the chassis number of a missing GTO, later the person who shortend the chassis frame owned up) and in the TV studio later gave the lad a nardi steering wheel claiming it was the real article, like most things in Brockets life it wasnt real merely a reproduction.......

One thing to say in his favour is that his cheif mechanic who bought the cars on Brockets behalf was renowned in the trade for taking Bribes and asking for the offical sale price to be far higher than the true sale price

readplays and Texas Forever like this.
  17. Poolhurst

Poolhurst Rookie

Nov 6, 2022
    Australia
    Full Name:
    paul hurst
    I worked at the estate and found a container with the remains of a 250 gte.
    Around the time that the break in happened.

18. Poolhurst

Poolhurst Rookie

Nov 6, 2022
    Australia
    Full Name:
    paul hurst
    Also have a lot of pictures..

Jack-the-lad and readplays like this.
  19. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Please post here.

20. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Break in?

Paul

Marcel Massini likes this.
  21. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I read Brocket’s memoirs a long time ago. His description of prison life was pretty eye opening….

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  22. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    I remember reading in the press he was asked to prepare and/ or serve tea to other inmates..very British punishment!

Marcel Massini and readplays like this.