What's the difference between Maranello and Modena? | FerrariChat

What's the difference between Maranello and Modena?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by christopher, Jun 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Hello "F"-Chatters,

Tell me please:

What's the difference between Maranello and Modena?

Is one a city and the other a state?

Thanks, Chris.

2. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    HELLO, THE FACT IS THE ITALIANS LOVE FERRARI SO MUCH THAT THEY NAMED THE TWO CITIES AFTER THE 550 MARANELLO AND THE 360 MODENA.

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN HELP YOU WITH?

3. BrianTheYank

BrianTheYank Karting

May 24, 2004
    maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The main significance between the two was that the Ferrari hq/factory was once in the city of modena, and then moved to the city of maranello recently. Think thats right, might be backwards though, but generally it.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Marenello is were the factory is and Modena is the birthplace of Enzo...I think,,,, may have it reversed? Or I could just be talking out of my ass....

5. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Im 100% sure the factory is in Maranello, but im not 100% postitive on Modena being the birthplace of Enzo. off to biography.com i will return with an answer

6. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Quote biography.com

"Racing-car designer, born in Modena, N Italy. He became a racing driver in 1920 (with Alfa-Romeo), founded the company which bears his name (1929), and was its president until 1977. In 1940 he began designing his own cars. Since 1951, the marque has been a major presence at Grand Prix races."

so modena is his birthplace

7. detltu

detltu Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Full Name:
    David Taylor
    The Factory is in Maranello, Modena is a much larger city close to Maranello. Some times magazines incorrectly say that the factory is in Modena. Both are cities though.

8. Strasse

Strasse Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    A lot of you folks may already know this, but the link between Maranello and Modena has a lot to do with the way Italian territories are subdivided and associated geographically. The Ferrari factory resides in Maranello, but it's directly associated to Modena, the largest nearby city, because Maranello is in the province of Modena. This is how smaller towns are referenced in Italy, and it's a little like the administrative subdivisions you have in the USA with counties, I believe.

On a side note, you will no doubt have noticed that in the older (pre-Euro) license plates the letters "MO" appear at the beginning, MO standing for Modena, the province where the car was registered. (In the Euro plates it is much smaller and at the right edge)

9. stax

stax Karting

May 30, 2004
    toronto, montreal
    Full Name:
    --
    isn't the old ferrari factory/showroom ... the new maserati factory/showroom ... after they took it over in modena?!?

10. masermartin

masermartin Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I agree that the smaller cities are refrenced by the bigger one's but as far as provinces working like counties, I would say you are referring to Reggio E'milia.
    That is how I understood it when I lived there. Just my 2 pennys :)

11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I´ve heard that Enzo´s first factory was at Modena, but he moved to the smaller town of Maranello to save it from the Allied attacks during WWII. That was before Ferrari was founded.

12. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    About 22 kilometers.

aehaas

13. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Maranello is smaller than Modena, more like a town. Modena is a city.

14. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    :);)
    Emilia Romagna is a region in Italy...
    The capital of this region is called Bologna...
    Modena is a province in the region of Emilia Romagna...
    Modena (pop. 175.000) is also the name of the capital of this province...
    Maranello (pop. 15.800) is a much smaller town located about 16km south of the city of Modena...

Modena is indeed the birthplace of Enzo Ferrari... he founded Scuderia Ferrari here in 1929 (Alfa Romeo cars racing activities until 1938). Later, Enzo Ferrari split with Alfa Romeo and founded Auto Avio Costruzioni, in the old Scuderia Ferrari headquarters.
    In 1943 the workshops moved from Modena to Maranello.
    After the war, the company changed its name to Ferrari and went on to design the 125 Sport, a 12-cylinder, 1500 cc car which Franco Cortese drove on the Piacenza circuit on May 11, 1947.

Ciao, Alexander

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The factory was bombed anyway because they were making machined parts for the war. Damaged extensively, it was the scene of the fateful meeting between Enzo and Luigi Chinetti, who had travelled from New York..

Liugi urged Enzo to renew his efforts in the automotive world, when asked "Who would buy them?" in the war ravaged European economy, Chinetti responded with an order for twenty five cars...for America!

The fates of these two men, would be forever after intertwined....until their deaths many years later.

16. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    This is better than the Discovery Channel. Thanks for the history and geography guys.

17. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    @alx355gt,

Hi Alexander,
    just perfect & brilliant your answer!

18. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    4 cylinders.

19. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    :D Thanks, Wolfgang...

20. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    Non ha visto que lei vuolo e questo le ragazze non c e per lei non vogliano lei.

Grazie mille Allesandro!

Cordiali saluti,
    Joren REMANS

21. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    You can tell by the size of the blue dots that Modena is significantly larger!

22. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Alan, the story that Luigi was the one who told Enzo to go into making cars is alleged, not factual... It COULD be true, but no one knows for sure...