how do you file suit against a movie for title? "White Chicks" | FerrariChat

how do you file suit against a movie for title? "White Chicks"

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by JimSchad, Jun 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

I don't really care, but I sort of do in a reverse kind of way.

The new Wayan's movie "White Chicks" makes me mad. I don't care about the title and I hear it is funny, however if a movie named "Black Mamas" came out with white guys dressed in sambo paint to look black I imagine the black community would be in an uproar.

So, how can you file a suit or whatever you would call it? I just feel like being a thorn today.

2. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    I've thought the exact same thing........if you reversed it there would be riots all over the country.

3. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    No uproar because white people (for now) are still in the majority here in the U.S. That's why there is no need for a "White" History Month or a National Association for the Advancement of White People.

KevFla

4. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    And don't forget about lefthanders! We're the most abused minority in the country!

5. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Ever see the movie "Soul Man"?

6. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM

Was that the one with Ted Danson? Haa

7. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

oh yeah! C. Thomas Howell. Also Gene Wilder used shoe polish in Silver Streak.

8. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    No, it's the movie with the white guy that made himself look black to get into Harvard (I think).

If I'm not mistaken, the movie with Ted Danson that you may be refering to is "Made in America," or something like that.

9. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    How about the commercials where the black guys are cool and the white guys are the dorks? Like the beer commercial with the black guys watching their house party on closed circuit and they're like, "Man... how did THEY get in here?" and it cuts to two white guys dancing stereotypically white disco style. If that was a commercial in a country club (*agusta*cough*) and there were two white guys complaining about blacks on the tennis court /golf course you can bet that several major cities in the US would burn down.

BUT, it all comes down to what the marketing execs have taught us over the course of the 80's and 90's: black culture is "cool" and "hip" and white culture is stodgy, boring and uncoordinated. Thus on TV blacks can mock whites all they want and Dave Chappelle has a whole show based on it (although he takes shots at blacks too).

10. normhuff

normhuff Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    J. Norman Huff, Esq.
    I found out from a Woody Harrelson movie that white men can't jump. I always suspected it though...

11. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    If i were stupider, i would start the SWMME (Socitey of white male mechanical engineerts). Theres a SWE (society of women engineers) a SHPE (hispanics) and im sure theres one for every other group you can think of. The ASME used to be predominantly white and male but this is no longer the case. If i ever started SWWME, even though i am not the least bit racist or biased, i would probably catch so much ****. When it comes to blacks making fun of whites there is definately a double standard.

12. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    You go WHITE BOY!

DL

13. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Before everyone gets their knickers in a knot over something quite insignificant, ask yourself whether you would want to be African American (or a woman). I wouldn't.

14. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    "NUKE THE GAY, UNBORN, BLACK WHALES" I always say.

DL

15. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    You just have to accept the hypocracy of Hollywood. Being Greek I can honestly say that "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" was hilarious, lots of the ethnic idiosyncracies were correct, but there were somethings that were exaggerated. But I also accept the fact that if it had been called "My Big Fat Black Wedding" or "My Big Fat Jewish Wedding" some groups would have gotten their panties in a bunch because it would have poked fun at certain ethnic traditions, etc. Some balck actors in the movie "Barbershop", caught all sorts of hell for making a joke about Rosa Parks. Unfortunately some people are way too sensitive about stuff.

16. jbtrader23

jbtrader23 Karting

Apr 20, 2004
    Los Angeles, Ca
    There's all kinds of double standards in hollywood. The Sopranos becomes critically acclaimed when it's about Italian mobsters in the northeast. That's ok. They can "whack" guys all they want.

But imagine a show about black gangbangers doing the same sorts of things. The Jesse Jackson crowd would be up in arms.

Or instead of powerful Italians, what if it was powerful and sneaky Jews on Wall Street. Talk about an uproar.

This isn't the first time white women (and men) have been made fun of. Remember Michael Moore's book, "Stupid White Men"? It became a bestseller!

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Talk about falling asleep!

18. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Dont forget Method Man & Redman's show where they are pulling out all the white sterotypes. I have wondered too, that if they made a movie named Black Chicks, total anarchy would ensue. There is really nothing you can do except sit back and laugh about it. Coming from a predominatly white prep school, this sorta thing always comes up and ive learned to just ignore it and sometimes laugh about it. i dunno if ive made any sense but it finally feels good to see people who feel the same way about it as i do and finally get my thoughts out. Now i must copy Darth and put my initials at the bottom.

PM

19. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM

Hmm Im thinking of that movie with ted danson and whoopie goldberg.. and i remember him with a painted black face for some reason. I dont remember any other details though.

20. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Made in America is an awful, awful (did I mention awful?) movie that Ted made with Whoopi Goldberg. Inane plot not even worth mentioning.

Ted unfortunately appeared in black face at a Friar's Club roast for his then girlfriend Whoopi and also said some unpleasant things about her nether regions. Let's just leave it at that, as I still need to eat my lunch.

21. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I heard he got in big trouble for that

22. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Guys, unfortunately we are living in the PC/left-wing world, better get used to it. I personally take offense to the Sopranos, Goodfellas, Godfather trilogy et al. and all the Italian stereotypes but such is life. HA HA HA !!

23. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Rent "Watermelon Man" with Godfrey Cambridge, about a white bigot who wakes up black one morning....Godfrey in white makeup looks just like 'white chicks' charactors (or Michael Jackson).

"Black Like Me" story (true) of a white guy who 'dyes' himslef black during the 60's and travels the south

"Skin Game" with Louis Gossett and James Garner about a scam to sell - and re-sell - Louis to unsuspecting folks pre-Civil War.

ALL these movies are very pre-'PC!'