Convertible clamps, interesting conversation | FerrariChat

Convertible clamps, interesting conversation

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by davewapinski, Jun 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davewapinski

davewapinski Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2003
    I have had people try to charge me more since it was a Ferrari. For example, after I reached a deal to buy a like new car trailer, the seller wanted $500 to $1,000 more since I would be hauling a Ferrari along with other vehicles. I walked away from the deal and found another one.

The Mondial t cab does not leak water. The previous owner had put in new rubber seals and the clamping pressure was high. I considered backing off the pressure to see what would happen, but did not get around to it.

I was in a hurry and mad at a woman. Broke the clamp on the driver's side. It was the long U part.
    OK, I am not perfect.

The part from Ferrari is $400. Since I am paying off my ex-wife (will be completely clear from her within 90 days), I did not want to pay this much. It is a complicated clamp and a Ferrari part, so it probably is worth $400.

Was talking to a friend, and he suggested trying a machine shop.

They could not do it, but suggested two other shops. The one with the best recommendation is a 1 person shop behind his home, but he is a car lover and has been doing it for 30 years. Was inpressed with his shop. It is his passion.

Our conversation a few hours ago went something like this:

Me: Can you fix it or machine a replacement for the broken part?

Bill: Due to the metal they used, it cannot be welded (what other machine shop said). I can machine a new part out of a block of steel. However, I cannot do it for less than $40. If you want me to reassemble the clamp (which I do), it could be slightly more. It could go as high as $60, but not over $60. Somewhere between $40 and $60. When do you want it?

Me: Of course, as soon as possible. However, I want a good job rather than a rushed job. When can you have it?

Bill: Thursday afternoon, around 2 PM.

Me: Deal.

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    It opens some doors that would otherwise be closed.
    And it inflates the price to enter doors that would otherwise be cheaper.
    You win some, you lose some.

That was a good story. Good luck.

3. davewapinski

davewapinski Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2003
    Top clamp is the Ferrari part - new one costs around $400.

The part that broke is made of pot iron which is not very strong and is almost impossible to repair.

The new machined piece is made of a good grade of steel and the total cost of repairs was $50. I will paint it black like the rest. Repaired part works great!