Do most of you have AAA? | FerrariChat

Do most of you have AAA?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by robiferretti, Jun 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    does anyone have AAA, and is it worth having in your opinion? any stories to share? will they tow you from a track? etc

2. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I have AAA Plus. This gives you a lot more miles that they will tow you than basic AAA coverage. I think it costs about $75 per year.

It's like any other type of insurance. If you need it, the payments were worth it. If you don't need it, the payments are a waste.

They sometimes take a long time to come to your rescue. That's the only down side. However, overall, I think it's worth it.

3. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    Ferrari roadside seems competent, they sent the quality truck co and came on time and didnt get lost...

4. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Agree with all Fred wrote about AAA plus, except in my limited experience they ALWAYS take a very long time to come to your aid. My wife likes the travel guides. In the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere, I'd likely be glad to have AAA.

5. DoingAnything

DoingAnything Rookie

May 6, 2004
    I use AAA and think its really worth it. My favorite part about it would be: being able to walk into their office and register my cars in about 5 minutes instead of going to the DMV and waiting for hours in line. Simply just walk in give paperwork, get new registration card and sticker, walk out. Love it.
    That right there makes it all worth it to me.

Have to also love the assurance of having a tow truck available to me if something happens to my car.

6. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If you own a 'F' car you MUST have AAA+ and a very good cell phone.

Had both the 3 years I had my 308. Got to be on a first name basis with my local tow company.

7. jlm348

jlm348 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2002
    Scottsdale + LA
    Full Name:
    Jean-Louis
    Blew a tire 60 miles outside of Vegas.
    AAA sent a flat bed within 1 hour towed me 87 miles to barstow for a new tire.
    Tipping the guys a little extra to take care of your car and quickly always helps.
    AAA Plus is a great value.

8. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    No, I don't have AAA. Having newer Ferraris, I haven't yet needed towing... and if I do with my Stradale, I'll use Ferrari Roadside Assistance.

The maps do nothing for me as I prefer to use a nav system. Magellan's Roadmate 700 is quite good.

The ability to register my car in their office is nothing... in Texas I can take care of vehicle registration at any of my regular grocery stores... right next to my bank in the grocery store... can't get easier than that.

Any other benefits of AAA that I am failing to consider?

9. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have it - upgraded to AAA+ with the impending F-car purchase.

I just make sure to go through $50 worth of maps each year and anything else I need is gravy.

Cheers
    Kevin

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    no i use a local towing service i can trust...but they are expensive once they have to cross a few county lines.......my insurance only covers $75 a pop......

11. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Have had it for years. For long stretches you never use it but if you need it its great. I do not know how they can turn a profit. It is well worth the small fee.
    T

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I used an almanac until it became a characteristic of terrorists.

No kidding, law enforcement was told to on the lookout for almanacs.... i just ask directions now...lol

13. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    AAA...........got it........like it.......use it.....worth it.....hope you don't need it

Get AAA+, ask for a flat bed, send the car where you want, miles not an issue and less stress. I've had it for 10 years - and say you have just blown a tire, had a little accident, engine trouble, etc.... do you really want to be looking for someone to call?

In my experiences they quote a long time of upto two hours or so.... then a truck arrives in 20 mins. Maybe just lucky, but I doubt it.

14. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

hey Rob... AAA plus is defintely worth it, especially if you need a flatbed far away from home.

The only downside in our north Jersey area, is the long response times. My wife was waiting for 1.5 hours along Rt 208 Franklin Lakes one time, so I just drove out there to fix her flat tire myself. That kinda sucked, but....

On the other hand, my fuel pump died near Allentown, and they flatbedded my car all the way back to Pompton Lakes no charge.

HTH

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I've been a member since 1972. Joined originally for the maps, but I find the TourBooks most useful. I will not stay at a lodging if it is not listed. And the emergency road service has been necessary at times. In fact, when I first received my 328 the battery had gone dead during the cross-country shipping, so AAA got it started for the first time in Georgia.

16. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I have lots of AAA's. Also some AA's, some C's, D's, and 9 volts. Bruce sent them to me. :D

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    JRV has suggested i use AA........

18. goyal99

goyal99 Karting

Mar 5, 2002
    Upstate NY - USA
    Full Name:
    V K
    So for those of us who haven't had the pleasure of dealing with AAA, what is their yearly PLUS rate (is it still $75) and what's serviced are included in the PLUS package??

Is unlimited miles, pick up anywhere when stranded part of the deal???

Any hidden charges or conditions???

VK

19. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    my AAA was cancelled because I used them too much! Yes, I drive, Yes, I drive somewhat undependible cars, Jaguare, Ferrari, and I drive them hard, yes, I have had a few off road excursions. AAA was fine while it lasted, but if you don't care about saving the money for towing, it's not worth the wait to get a AAA approved carrier.

20. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I have AAA+ but also have coverage through my insurance company, Hagerty. AAA+ here is around $80 a year and the Hagerty protection network (I think that's the name) was only $15 a year.

Pretty cheap peace of mind!!!

21. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have AAA+. Gotta love it. :)

22. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    AAA Member since 1985.

23. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Yes, we meet every week for recovery

24. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Yes, I have AAA; with a 32 year old car that you drive a lot, it's a must. I've been towed twice; both for free on a flatbed. Worth the peace of mind if nothing else.

Ken

25. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    All my recent cars have been later models as well (with roadside assist programs) however when I picked up this '98, I was glad I had kept AAA...especially since I have had it towed and needed a jump.

As for the other benefits....they offer travel, golfing and retail goods/service discounts all over...not to mention if you get stuck in some one else's car who doesn't have it! :)

DL