Drive along Chicago's shoreline | FerrariChat

Drive along Chicago's shoreline

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Jun 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Pick a Sunday for the Chicago drive

1. Sunday, July 18

2. Sunday, August 1st

3. At some other time

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'd like to do a repeat of last year's drive along Lake Shore Drive. Actually extending it a bit by starting South at the Science & Industry museum, following LSD North all the way up to Evanston's Plazo del Lago for a nice brunch. Along the way we'll stop for obvious foto shoots like the ones below from last year.

But first of all I'd like to see a show of hands, so please pick one of the options. This is an open vote, so we'll see who prefers what.

2. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    August 1st so far looks good for me... July 18th i will be in northern wisconson on my own photo shoot at Volk Air Reserve base. Hopefully the security isn't too bad to where i can get my 328 on the Ramp next to some front line fighters... We'll see....

3. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Do you mean the air base next to a mountain just north of Wisconsin Dells and on 90 on the way to Minnesota?

I've always wanted to stop in there. If my memory serves me correct from days at a nearby military acad, that used to be a training base in WW2. It is connected to Fort or Camp Douglass. Today I doubt anything is left in terms of cutting edge technology. I think it is a lucky survivor of military cutbacks considering Madison has a ANG base. Front line fighters, I really doubt it. Probably a few ANG C-130 Hercules cargo planes. I've seen a few static displays of a Saber fighter, Mustang, Delta Dart and possibly a B-29. But you wont find any F117 Stealth fighters or F-15 Eagles or F-22 Raptors. Not really sure what Camp Douglass' purpose is considering Fort McCoy ( where Rangers do their artic training and NG does some mechanized practice, ) is nearby as well. Please keep me informed on what you find at Volk Field Tod...

As or a drive along the shorline, I would really like to go only if Skip can make it. I do not like the tone of his latest posts... hopefully the always funny and dramatic Skip is only trying to garner attention.

RocketBoy

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Skip is facing some serious surgery, but chances are very good he'll come through with flying colors. Keep your fingers crossed.

5. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Drat........I can't get away with anything!!!!! :)

Seriously though, I'll be going in for surgery in a week or two, the date hasn't been set yet.

The doctors say expect up to 2 months for a full recovery.

Hell.......I'm giving myself 2 WEEKS, if not less, for a full recovery!

I'll be on that drive!!!!

6. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore

Thats the place... It is still a FULL active military training facility. The security is tight there too. Every year, our cadets in the CAP have an encampment up there for a week and i have been helping out as a senior member. We can get access to the base with our Air Force Auxiliary IDs. There is the weapons training area near volk that the front line fighters ussually practice at and civilians can watch. Those 20mm cannons on those A-10's sound awesome!!!!

Last year, we had everything from F-15's, F-16s, A-10 Warthogs, C-130's, KC135's and even a C-4???? I think thats the one, a very LARGE cargo plane...

In fact, they have built all new barreks on the field including a couple Military hotels....

Yes, Camp Douglas and Fort McCoy are still there too...

Yes, they have a museum on the field in addition to a number of static displays too, those will get photo time too with my 328. Once i get there, i need to talk to the base commander, the MPs, Flight Ops and the guys in the tower to see about getting my 328 on the ramp when and if aircraft come in... :)

Last year, a couple of us seniors took one of our planes (Air Force Owned Cessnas) and flew from Volk down to the Dells for a couple hours, it was fun, fleww back to Volk in the dark, when we keyed the mike to activate the runway light, the ILS approach lights lite up the entire state!! We needed to put our sun visor down at night those friken lights lit up the inside of the cockpit like it was daytime, we laugh about that all the time.... So, if your an enemy bomber trying to find your target, just click your mic five times and they will light up for you.... hahaha...

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Like a F1 driver: They cut the official medical recovery time down by at least 50%.

8. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Right now,any weekend will pretty much work for me. When I do go out to AZ.,it will probably be a last minute thing,now.

LSD Drive sounds great. If we have enough time/start early enough,could also cruise up Sheridan Rd. all the way up through the North Shore. A nice,pretty drive.

I've also been "scoping out" some close drives if anyone is interested. Nothing that will take all day,but long enough just to get out in the car for awhile....:)

9. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Funny...
    that airbase north of the Dells was deserted the last time I was there (about 6 months ago). It is enormous! I was told it is an alternative landing site for the Space Shuttle.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Interesting. Quite possible. There are over 60 alternate emergency landing sites around the globe. My favourite is the one on the Easter Islands. Imagine the picture!

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'll leave the poll open for a couple more days, but it sure looks like we got ourselves a winner on the Swiss National Day: August 1st

So please earmark your calendars. I'll check out some details of the drive and prepare some maps etc.

Frank, I like your idea about continuing your drive. So after brunch my part will be over, but if people feel like more driving, they can continue on with you. Nice option.

Rennmaus, good to see your vote. Sounds like we can do a remake of that black and red 328 in front of the skyline shot!

12. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore

If that Black 328 can get out of the shop by then.... :( I hope i get it by this weekend... :( I have been saying that every week now.... If anyone talks to Gary or Scott at Continental, help me put a fire under thier butts... I want my car.... :(

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    By August 1 your car has come out and gone back twice already...
    :)

14. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank

Thanks. Yes,I'd like to get a shot of More cars in that scene along the Lake by the Planetarium with the Skyline in the background. And,this time we won't have all of that Bears Traffic. Allthough,for being a game day,we got in and out of there pretty good. And,parked O.K.

15. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Yep, if I'm out of the hospital by mid-July, I'll be there!

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Time to unstick this one. August 1st it will be.

Who is Dr Gek? Welcome to the board and you'll have a good chance in competing for the 12 Cylinder FOC trophy.

I'll have to check the route and will come back here with more details.

17. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Sounds great. We'll be there! :)