Need Advice on Leaving a Momento | FerrariChat

Need Advice on Leaving a Momento

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by ferrariguy, Jun 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariguy

ferrariguy Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2002
    Victoria, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Lawrence Yee
    Hi all,

This is kind of a weird question but I've been pondering this for quite a while. I have a 5 month old son and I want to leave something for him to remember me and my love for Ferrari other than a real car when I pass on (not for a while yet)!

Should I leave him a high-end watch (Rolex, Girard Perragaux, etc) or something really unique like a hand-made scratch model commisioned and built by Maurizo Conti, Michele's son? I know Conti models are very expensive and I don't have an unlimited budget but do you think it's worth it?

This came up when I read the article in the latest Forza magazine on Michele Conti. I have seen one of his models in person (not a Ferrari) and it is breathtaking.

Any opinions, comments, am I crazy? :)

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    my suggestion, fwiw:

don't get him an object. instead, spend some serious time over the next months or years writing about your love of the marquee. with modern technology you can make that include videos and audio and pictures too (and he won't have any problems figuring out how to use the technology ;) ).

it'll mean so much more to him when he's older.

my tuppence.

doody.

3. 360 Spyder

360 Spyder Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Near the Cows....
    Full Name:
    Rob
    My suggestion would be to spend as much time as you possibly can with him and do things with Ferrari's such as races or shows. Share your love of him with your love of Ferrari. The memories he will develop will far out weigh any material objects.

4. ferrariguy

ferrariguy Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2002
    Victoria, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Lawrence Yee
    Thanks and you guys are right of course. It's just that I have keepsakes from my father, grandfather and great-grand father and was just thinking I can do the same for my son.

Again, thanks for the advice!

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    a trip to maranello? not to buy things, but to experience it all. perhaps then, maybe in maranello or another place, you can find a small something for him to have as a keepsake. it will be much more meaningful that way.

6. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I did something similar - for my father (still living) and my 2 sons. I sponsored a full ride scholorship to the college which I attended - the scholorship has my fathers name sake and my 1st sons name (mine too).

Thought that was a good thing - and give some student a break each year on the high cost of tuition...

7. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    Time is the best you can give. Positive experiences can never be taken away.

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I have to agree with the 'spend time' suggestions, the mementos will come based on your experiences. One of the most important things my grandfather left me was his 25th anniversary watch that his employer gave him. He wore it every day that I knew him and I vividly remember him telling the story about how/when he got it. It's not Rolex quality, and is probably only worth a few hundred $$$, but it means a lot to me and I think of him whenever I see it.

My oldest son is 8 and he can already spot any late model Ferrari and tell you which one it is. He can even tell the diff between a 550 and 575. He needs no memento. He'll wind up with 1/2 of everything when I go anyway!

9. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

My grandfather has a ring he wears every single day. It is his class ring from OU back in the late 30's and the ruby stone is almost worn down to nothing. Although he only paid $30 for it, it is priceless to me. I won't get it I am sure as he has 2 sons, but to me that ring symbolizes him as it is always on his finger.

10. BrianTheYank

BrianTheYank Karting

May 24, 2004
    maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Just share your love for the marque with him. Get him to love ferraris the way you do. He will love you a lot more for giving him such a great love for something so awesome than for leaving him a model car.

11. canam350

canam350 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2004
    dublin, ireland
    i too have a son he is only 8 months old but if and when i pop of to the next world , i wll leave my collection of 900 ferrari model cars, also i will be taking him to monza this year for the italian gran prix and a trip to marenello to let him see the birth place of ferrari.