HOW THE HELL DOES THIS HAPPEN IN CANADA!?!?! | FerrariChat

HOW THE HELL DOES THIS HAPPEN IN CANADA!?!?!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ClassicFerrari, Jun 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1088028613858&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154

CHRISTIAN COTRONEO
    STAFF REPORTER

A man drove from the Maritimes with a carload of guns and ammunition, vowing to kill as many people in Toronto as he could — before a last-minute encounter with a wandering dog inspired a change of heart.

The New Brunswick man, in his 40s, surrendered to police yesterday afternoon in front of a supermarket at Leslie and Eastern Sts. He had a loaded gun in his pocket and a car crammed with more than 6,000 rounds of ammunition.

"At that time, he decided he was going to shoot people in the area," said Detective Nick Ashley of 55 Division. "He attended a local park nearby and was preparing the weapons to do that."

By chance, a dog approached the man and started playing with him in the Victoria Park Ave. and Queen St. E. park.

"He happens to be a pet lover and decided that if there was such a nice dog in the area the people were too nice and he wasn't going to carry out his plan," Ashley said.

His car, a red Subaru caked with mud, provided the testament. It was packed with doggie blankets, a big plastic dog dish still filled with dry kibble — and the biggest single arsenal Ashley had seen in his 17 years with the service.

The car "was absolutely stuffed," he said.

The man didn't have a dog in the car. Police said he had left his dog in New Brunswick.

After visiting the park, the man, who police describe as mentally ill, drove around the city looking for a police officer. He found a young constable who has only been on the force for three years.

Constable Fraser Douglas, 25, was responding to a shoplifting call in front of a Leslie St. supermarket on a sunny afternoon when a man drove up behind his cruiser and honked the horn.

"He told me he was crazy and he needed to go to the hospital," the officer recalled.

And, Douglas added, he had a loaded gun in his pocket. "He said, `I'm just going to drive around and kill people at random.'"

Officers were tallying their cache last night at their Coxwell St. headquarters, counting carton after carton of bullets.

The list included: a 12-gauge shotgun, a bolt action rifle with a telescopic lens, a 9-mm semiautomatic, a machete, throwing knife, camouflage ski mask, black leather gloves, and 6,296 rounds of ammunition.

"He felt that if he shot enough people he would stay in custody permanently," Ashley said. "This could have been a very dangerous situation had his plan unfolded."

"It's scary how close it could have been. We have a dog to thank somewhere."

Investigators estimated the man would face at least six to eight "very serious" weapons charges. Because the guns were all legally registered to the suspect, the charges stem from transporting and storage.
    Additional articles by Christian Cotroneo

HOW THE HELL CAN PEOPLE WALK OUTSIDE AND FEEL SAFE??? THATS WHY ONE HAS TO LIVE THEIR LIVES TO THE FULLEST BECAUSE YOU GOT IDIOTS LIKE THIS AROUND. THIS PISSED ME OFF.......I'D SHOVE THAT DOG SO FAR UP HIS ASS IT AINT FUNNY!

....Sorry, but this just really freaks me out.

Vasco.R

2. 512tr

512tr Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    montreal
    Full Name:
    tony

3. 512tr

512tr Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    montreal
    Full Name:
    tony
    Poor dog. Come on Vasco......LOL
    maybe shove the machete up his ass.

Alot of crazies out there!!

4. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    I see that you are at a loss of words too 512. LOLLL

Yeah a machete would work too. A rusty one?

5. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Good to see that 2billion that the liberals spent on th gun reg worked.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    lol!! oh yea money well spent for sure...

7. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Gun registry???? Oh yeah.....damn! That reminds me.....

8. MuJo

MuJo Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Joel R.
    Well if the feds don't spend it on the gun registry, then they'll spend it on a stripe at the art museum for 2 mil.

These wackos are really getting out of hand and pretty dam scary around these parts.

9. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    That guy is nuts!! Thank god nothing happen.

10. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Or a sponsorship program.....at 250M$!!! OHHHHHHHH Canada!!!!!!!!

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Have a look at the polls..The Liberals are gaining!! Geeez,,It seems were gluntan's for punishment..You wanna bet that the first thing they do is vote themsleves a raise?

12. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    ...and I started the year off with no raise, no bonus...and a three day suspension w/o pay for being a little too trusting and naive with a (now fired)supervisor.

We should start a betting pool..."Guess the % of our government officials' pay raise in 2005" I say 5%, plus a salary adjustment.

13. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Good thing we have "off leash" areas in parks eh ?

14. eholody

eholody Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Montreal, Quebec
    Lets hope the general electorate finally comes to the realization that the Liberals are as corrupt as they are. I cannot imagine the effects of another term with them in power.

15. Titanboy_24

Titanboy_24 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas Scarfone
    GREEN PARTY FOR LIFE!!!;);)

16. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    250? Think bigger.

17. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I wonder how this guy could own and register so many guns and uit not raise a red flag in a computer somewhere. WTF is up with that?!?!

18. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

That's because the gun registry is a crock. Any good database developer could build a gun registry that WORKED for $20K. Why we need to have a gun registry instead of a justice system with teeth is another question...

19. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Just the Liberals? And you think the Conservatives or NDP would do what, not do the same thing? Come on, they are not in the governing business just out of altruism. They all want the control, power and money. Once in power, they will do favours for whoever helped them the most. Ever notice the rhetoric before elections, then nothing seems to come of their promises? Not limited to one party.

Anybody here happen to know which consulting company(ies) benefited $$$ from 'building' the gun registry?

And beware of people with black gloves or ski masks, they could be crazy!

20. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

I believe none of the guns were registered according to the article. The guy is a nut case!

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They were registsered and completly legal weapons to own in Canada aswell. Good thing we spent all that money to get guns out of the wrong hands huh? (****in politicians, 1 billion (and climbing) for a useless political move to get votes)

22. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'm just so glad that he had a brief moment of lucidity and found a cop. This could have been a massive tragedy.

Slight tangent - Since we all have a big vote coming, I have to say this: If the Liberals win a majority, it is proof (to me at least) that there is absolutely nothing that they cannot do to the CDN people and still stay in power. IMHO, these guys are the most corrupt, incompetent and wasteful gov't in CDN history.

You know how Marx (or maybe Engels?) said that "religion is the opiate of the masses"? I am beginning to be convinced that as long as the average man on the street has a Horton's nearby and Hockey Night in Canada on the TV, he is happy to ignore whatever is done to him and his pay cheque.

Don't forget to vote!

(Apologies - off soap box now)

23. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

The concept of democracy DOES NOT WORK unless everyone votes. Which is why the last time around something like 30% +/- of the total eligible voter base elected these A******S.

That is Canada's problem. They should legislate huge fines for not voting and make it mandatory like it is in several other countries. But.....the Liberal's would never do that........

24. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    That guy needs some serious therapy.... why cant they bring back capital punishment!

25. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Because we live in an enlightened society.