Where is the best & least expensive oil change ? | FerrariChat

Where is the best & least expensive oil change ?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by alinaqvi, Jun 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alinaqvi

alinaqvi Karting
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2004
    Somerset, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ali
    I just put 3,000 miles on my 348 Spyder - what do I need to have done to my vehicle and where should I go ?

2. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    i would use mobil 1 synthethic 5w-30 or 10-30, but i am sure some guys swear by the manual and $12/qt oil. But if your looking for cheap change it shouldn't be more then $20 to go to a quick lube or gas station, if you bring your own oil and filter.

3. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    That sounds about right.

4. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Rob -- will the quick lube places groan about a Ferrari? Given Dan's and my experience trying to get a simple tire mounted and balanced ("We're not letting that car in our shop -- too much liability!") I can't imagine the quick lube places are going to want to get involved with an oil change...?

nlh

5. DodgeViper01

DodgeViper01 F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2003
    It depends on the shop and most of all the person running it but most places should be fine with it. BUT if the person running the shop has personal preferance then you will be out of luck. Take it to a "nice" place and you will be fine.

6. pchop

pchop F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2002
    Usually NY often elsewhere.
    Full Name:
    John
    I thought the 348 and 355's oil change is not so simple... if you're not familiar with how to remove the filter, you may end up with a mess of oil filled engine compartment.

Could anyone confirm?

7. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    I also don't yet own an Fcar, but my 993 is an absolute no no at a quick change oil shop. You have to release the oil from two separate areas in order to drain the pan and the oil cooler. The end result is that you get 10 of the 12 quarts out on a refill...and it's no easy job, especially with two oil filters as well!

I'd be shocked if a normal "quick change" place would be able to do a proper oil service...IMO of course.

8. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Hey Eric, whats going on, long time no hear. Whats with the 355 shopping didnt work out in AZ? What about that one out on the Island?

9. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    As long as there's no oil in the car, changing the filter is easy. Just need the correct wrench. If we had a lift in a garage somewhere, this'd be super simple...

10. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Oh, and the Ferrari recommended oil REALLY does make the car run cooler. I was skeptical at first, too, but it's true. Werd.

11. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    whats the different ingredient in the other oil vs mobil 1 synthethic?

12. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Well, in independent taste tests, 4 out of 5 Italian Car Techs agree:

The 5th guy is an idiot.

Beats me what the difference is. Maybe it's the soylent green content?

13. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    It's been a little crazy on my end with work, house hunting here in Ridgewood (wife wants bigger digs and I need a bigger garage!), and my newborn son. I was very close to moving on the AZ car but decided that I feel a little more comfortable buying locally and especially seeing the car before I move on it. Getting to AZ over the past few weeks has been an impossibility. :-(

I also came upon an old friend who has a 97 355 Spider with 12K miles on it. He ordered a 360 Spider and it is coming in next month. He hasn't decided whether he will sell the 355 and move to the 360 or hold on to the 355 and make a few bucks off the 360. Although the car is red (not my first choice...no offense to those with red F'ers), it may be a wise investment being that I know the car and it has had just a single owner with all records, updates, etc. So there it is...

How are things on your end? I hope to catch up with you guys one of these days for a run...I keep reading about the club outings and such but I don't think the wife is ready to green light those outings with a full house on my end! ;-)

Hope to see you soon. How did the Cats turn out?

14. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Speaking of cats, I have a kitten for adoption if anyone wants. it's a girl, been checked out by Keri's hospital, about 4 months old...