Ferrari History and meaning | FerrariChat

Ferrari History and meaning

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by matterhorn762, Jun 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. matterhorn762

matterhorn762 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    So first, I did do my homework and read this thread:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20588

But I still have some questions...

1) The meaning of Scuderia? In Italian translation it means "stable." I've heard references to it being "team" and some references even to old knight/squire terms. I believe only somebody with Italian background or connection to its history can know the real meaning. So any "experts" in the crowd?

2) What's this rumor about the Capitano Francesco Barraca plane coming from Suttgart? And therefore having the same horse? Sounds far fetched to me.... especially since he's from Italy. How could his squadron be from Germany?

3) Why did Enzo change the position of the tail on the horse?

Ok, some very obtuse questions... but maybe there is some "official" answer out there.

2. matterhorn762

matterhorn762 Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2004
    Tennessee
    Either my questions are so simple I appear too stupid to answer them, or they're so obtuse nobody knows the answer...???

3. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Ok, your somewhat in luck. I did a paper on the history of Ferrari for a class of mine. ques. 1 I don't kno the real meaning but that sounds right what you said. 2. It most certainly is from Barraca. He was an ace pilot shooting down over 30 people before he himself was killed. After Enzo won a certain race (don't rem. the name exactly) Barraca's father approached him and presented him w/ the crest of our lovely prancing horse and gave it to him b/c Enzo proved himself to be such a great and impressive driver as his son once was a pilot. I do know Enzo changed the background color to yellow, but I don't know about the horses tail being changed.

4. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Ferrari's 2003 yearbook has a lengthy discussion of the Cavallino.

5. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Well, this is my short take on the whole Scuderia Ferrari thing....

Stables are where horses are held, Ferraris symbol is the horse, It kind of sounds dumb to me to think that Enzo wanted a little "catchy slogan" but thats the most obvious connection I see, so until I find the true meaning ill stick that.