"Non-refundable deposit" | FerrariChat

"Non-refundable deposit"

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by robiferretti, Jun 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    In january i signed up for the aka rally across county after speaking with the guy running it and viewing the website. It was advertised that there was going to be a carrera GT, rolls royce phantom, amongst other cool cars going. Needless to say it was an organizational mess putting it together, and other guys took over running it. The end result of the rally had a corvette, wrx and s4 as the "cool cars" (rolling eyes). Instead of the advertised 300 cars it was 40 cars. I contacted the head of it and he told me he couldn't refund me the money because the guy I gave the deposit to isn't afilliated with the rally anymore. Then he just said that its a non-refundable deposit.

My question is this. If you take a deposit on a ferrari and then the buyer finds out its a fiat...is there no recourse to get your money back? Or am I just paying for these guys trip to the bar?

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Quite different when it comes to a Fiat vs. Ferrari. That's a deliverable product. This is an event where expenses must be checked. If the guy isn't affiliated anymore, you might need to track him down. If it was online and they stated it was refundable, or non-refundable, you need to catch them on the technicality. But when it comes down to making a deposit, you go after that oganization, because that organization is liable - regardless if the guy you gave the deposit to is working with them or not.

3. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    How did you pay them? Who are they?

(And how much.)

4. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    I used paypal, its only $150, but if its not in my pocket, I rather it go to a more worthy cause then some guys beer money

5. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Request a refund from paypal.

Better still, tell the current promoter you are going to do it, as well as the guy you sent the money to. So unless they want to deal with paypal, they can pay you back.

Too bad you did not use a CC!!!

6. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    the whole thing is the account i sent it to via paypal is the guy who isn't involved anymore. These guys took over the operation and all the deposits were forwarded to them. The more i hear about this the more i get pissed. The guy currently running the rally finished college after 5 years and plans on making a living doing the rally every year as his job. Guess thats why the pictures i saw of the rally are of them eating at dave and busters LOL! regardless i'll just send the kid a letter from my lawyer, if he doens't want to pay i'll take him to small claims court. :)

7. V-Viper

V-Viper Karting

Mar 13, 2004
    Brockton, MA
    Full Name:
    Victor
    I knew the rally was a bust the first time I saw it posted in dtmpower.net. Just trying catch some stream of all those MISCHIEF videos about the Gumball/Players run.

You got a link to the coverage? I need a good laugh.

8. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
  9. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS

If all deposits were sent to him he is the one to go after. Oh, and at least in my state, you can only use Small Claims to settle thing in state. IE, you can not compel some one out of state to appear.

10. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    so your saying its a federal crime?

11. triXXXter

triXXXter Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Ft. Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Steven G. Ogden
    WOW!!! that those pictures are just SAD! I could do a better rally than that. SHEESH!! And the guys running it didn't even drive!!!!! They were flying to each of the destinations!!!! Thats good for the "rally"

12. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    That rally is so frickin pathetic!! Saw it being advertised from the beginning on dtmpower ... seemed cheesy from day one ... how the *uck can you pretend to be exotic when you have a bunch of bimmers?