360 at the Drag Strip | FerrariChat

360 at the Drag Strip

Discussion in '360/430' started by andymo1972, Jun 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andymo1972

andymo1972 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2004
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy L
    Took my 360 out to the drag strip near Denver last night (Bandimere) for an open track night. While it's no road course, it was still a lot of fun. I know most on here are probably not drag race fans but I thought I'd summarize my experience since I've not seen any other posts on drag racing. First, as far as my ET, my best time was a [email protected]h according to NHRA's conversion is a 12.5@113. Getting the 6 speed off the line was the toughest part. I played around a lot with tire pressures and RPMs trying to get more traction off the line but struggled with that for a bit since one lane was way stickier than the other. A couple times I bogged down coming off the line and a couple times I spun the tires pretty good. On my best run, I had just a little bit of tire spin and had a 2.09 60' time which I thought was pretty good. I think there is a little more in the car but not much. As night fell, the track cooled down and traction got worse. Don (ATBNM3) was there and got some video of the event. All in all it was a lot of fun.

Andy
    00 360 Silver/Navy

2. young-nyc

young-nyc Karting

Nov 22, 2003
    Bayside, NY
    Full Name:
    Young Kim
    cool...
    now let's see them videos =)

3. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Andy, can you give us some idea as to what other cars were doing the time in? Also, I am not sure what you mean regarding NHRA conversion. Can you elaborate?

4. andymo1972

Mar 9, 2004
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy L
    Nberry -

The track in Denver is listed at 5800 ft above sea level and there is a fair amount of horsepower loss up here. The NHRA conversion is a multiplier used to adjust times based on altitude and HP loss. Normally aspirated cars have more of a HP loss at altitude than forced induction cars and they take that into account as well. All tracks where they run NHRA events are at different altitudes, this allows you to get an apples to apples comparison of times. As an example, in the auto magazines and such they list the 1/4 mile time of a 360 at 12.8 seconds at a track at or near sea level, I will probably NEVER get my car to run that time up here. As far as other cars, a stock C4 and C5 vette was running high 14's to low 15's, there was a heavily modded Mitsu Evo that ran mid 12's, a Supra ran 15's, a modded SVT Mustang ran a 13.4.

Andy
    00 360 Silver/Navy

5. kennyyellow360

kennyyellow360 Karting

Apr 20, 2004
    The O.C.
    Hi Andy

That sounds like alot of fun. So is car fully stock, any mod? I am planning to bring mine to the track next weekend to see how it will do with exhaust/straight pipe/ecu upgrade and intake. :)

6. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    This is one of those places where you'd want the 360CS and the race mode to control the launch. The conversion of 12.5s is in the ballpark for a 360M. Good post!

7. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Andy, thanks for the post and looking forward to see the videos.

I haven't get my 360 to the 1/4mile dragstrip and we will do it soon. Here is my experience:

http://www.jimmy540i.com/californiaspeedway.htm

(drag down for time comparisons)

8. andymo1972

Mar 9, 2004
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy L
    Kenny - my car has tubi exhaust and that's it. What kind of intake do you have?

Launch control would be nice to have but part of the fun for me is figuring out how to get the car off the line without spinning.

Jimmy - Cool man! Thanks for the link.

9. kennyyellow360

kennyyellow360 Karting

Apr 20, 2004
    The O.C.
    Hey Jimmy

Let me know when u plans on going, lets meet up and go on the same day.

10. kennyyellow360

kennyyellow360 Karting

Apr 20, 2004
    The O.C.
    Andy- I have on gruppe M intake, it looks nice with the carbon fiber

11. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    sure, I go ca speedway cause irvindale only has 1/8th mile. you ever run any of your car(s) at a dragstrip?

12. kennyyellow360

kennyyellow360 Karting

Apr 20, 2004
    The O.C.
    No, I love to fix up cars, but never had a chance to run them at a dragstrip. Is it true that ca speedway is always too crowded? Just let me know when u feel like going. Thanks.

13. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    Sounds like you had a good time. I use to drag race before I got into SCCA. Every 1/10 you get down on your 60' is 2/10 off your ET. What it seems like ios that you need to take some more air out of the rear tires. I would also ride the clutch just a bit so you dont have too much wheel spin. With the gearing on the 360 you shouldnt be leaving 3rd gear and if you do it should be right at the end. Let me know if that helps at all and what happens.

GOOD LUCK

Antony

14. JMJ575M

JMJ575M Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2002
    Chain of Lakes Regio
    Full Name:
    J Michael Jordan
    How's your clutch doing?

JMJ

15. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    I'll be posting the videos soon.

16. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Now this sounds like fun!
    Dave

17. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    never mind the clutch, that's just a consumable item...if you know anything about 360C racing....how's your driveshafts and gearbox output shafts.........

I reckon 80% of race car transmission wear and stress is done by the standing start.....We now do rolling starts in the races, and wear and breakages have reduced dramatically.

flame me, but aren't drags just guys being girls............?

18. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    Not a flame but a comment. I have done both, drag and scca. Drag takes more skill that what people have come to think. Granted its nothing like doing a road course, but at the same time there are alot of varibles that give you a good time. Dont get me wrong, I would rather do a road course any day but there is alot more than just driving in a straight line.

Antony

19. andymo1972

Mar 9, 2004
    Ft Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy L
    ferrarifixer - my car seems to be doing just fine after the event, drove it 50 miles back home afterwards, cleaned it up yesterday. Unfortunately, they won't let me do a rolling start at the drag strip...hahahahaha.

AntonyR - I too prefer road courses to drag racing but enjoy any type of driving that challenges me and/or my car. I was chasing the track in the later part of the day as it cooled down. My first 3 runs (in the early evening) I was able to dial things in a bit w/o much change in the track, but once the sun goes down in CO, it cools down fast. I'm not sure of the gearing on my car but I was hitting 4th about 3/4 of the way down the track (perhaps due to the HP loss at altitude?)

20. FerrariCF

FerrariCF Karting

Apr 14, 2004
    I am a HUGE fan of drag racing. My Z28 ran 13.5 @ 105.......but I am in Orlando Florida, sea-level, So I can't convert anything b/c that is the best the car will do. I know what your talking about trying to launch the six speed of the line, my Z is a six speed. Your 60' time should be like a 1.8 or 1.7, my car ran it's best time with a 2.2 60'. My buddy with his Z runs the same 1/4 mile time but his 60' time is a consistent 1.8 (automatic) and I beat him on the street all the time. So if you can get your 60' time down even a tenth your 1/4 time should drop 2 tenths. What kinda tires do you have on the car?? Do you burnout with them? Some need a burnout, some don't. I suggest not to lower the psi, because a street radial will bubble up in the center tread when the tire is low on air. I can explain further into detail if you would like, just ask, I'll even send you photos. Drag racing is my passion, I try to know eveything about it. If I had better tires my 60' time would be lower, but the are completely bald. So I am forced to baby it of the line. Did you try and feather the clutch at all? What rpms did you leave at? It is all relative, eveything you do, or don't do can cost you. Ex. I leave the line at about 1800~2000rpms, my car as lot of torque, you would benifit leaving at a higher rpm for the fact that the 360 motor has a lot more hp than torque, and its all in the top end. Sorry I typed so much, but I think I can tell you everything about drag racing and how to be better at it. I love it.