Montoya...the best driver to come to F1 in years! | FerrariChat

Montoya...the best driver to come to F1 in years!

Discussion in 'F1' started by parkerfe, Jun 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    He is a great driver, a great showman and the fans either LOVE him or HATE him. The fact that there are so many mental-midgets on FC that rant about how much they hate him, love him or how bad a driver he is or...?... proves that he brings out controversy. Who was it that once said "...I don't care if they say bad or good things about me...as long as they're talking about me..." If he can get the car, he will be F1 champ one day. Maybe in McLaren next year? He's my hero and I want to be just like him if I grow up.

2. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Talk about a thread inviting controversy!

I like Montoya, I think he is one of the most talented drivers out there, perhaps the most talented after Michael. I followed him through his CART years, and thought that he was an extraordinary talent back then. I was hoping he would make the jump to F1, for I believe he will be a World Champion sooner than later.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Totally agree.
    Just think about this: After every GP we debate on here endlessly whether this guy is an idiot or not. It takes some personality to get that buzz going.

Personally I think he is probably an arrogant schmuck, but guess what, I like him. Somehow I have always had a nack for the slightly odd guys like Irvine. I think these are real characters. Not necessarily true professionals, but at least interesting. Just my opinion.

As far as him winning the Championship: Not sure he has the maturity nor the car to reach that goal. He has the speed, but lacks consistency and self control.

4. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Wish he had a better attitude, not thinking like God gifted F1 driver. I prefer Jensen Button better. He is humble IMO

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    good, talented driver? yes.

great driver? no.

6. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Anyone who makes it in the upper levels in any of the racing series is is a a truly great and exceptional driver, whether it is INDY, CART or F1.

7. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    I think Montoya is a good driver,
    given the chance
    possibly a great driver.

I like him

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Gee, I'm surprised by the many "I like him" responses. I always thought I was the only one. And we're not even Columbians.

9. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    My favorite thing I ever heard him say was " You BROKE my F@#%ing Head!"(from the video clip of him walking into a cameraman) You guys can have JPM I'm not a big fan of his (not that there is anything wrong with liking him)

10. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    Jenson...humble??? There is this quote going around stating that he (button) believes he is the best driver in F1..Even better than Schumi!!!

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Frank just wanted to wake everybody up on here this AM.

Mr. Parker, have you noted our youngest member, zupra?

He lives near you and would really like to hang out with some Ferrari owners at the next event in your town. I'm sending him a helment, so he'll be ready to ride shotgun!

Now back to our JPM discussion....... "Oh, my f......head"

In my case it was Wild Turkey 101.....

12. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    There is no question he is good and will probably be a champ in the future but I just wish, as shelbee stated, that he has a better attitude.

13. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Andreas,

Not to change the topic, but remember that kid I told you I raced against and to watch for him (Viso)?

Well he just signed on with the Durango team in F3000. He is only 19 years old.

I think it was a mistake to do so since he was challenging Piquet Jr. for the title in F3 but I guess you have to take the next step up the ladder when offered.

Here it is: http://www.autosport.com/pc_subscribe.asp?id=38095&s=10&p=1

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas

Haven't forgotten him. Just waiting for his name to pop up on a radar screen.

19 Years? Forget it. Too old already....
    :)

Just kidding, but it doesn't sound like he is challenging Alonso for youngest ever F1 victory.

15. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Andreas,

Well I don't think he is the next Alonso, in fact he may turn out to be a Christian Klien but heck I just want him to get to F1 so I can say.........

..........yeah I race with him a few years ago, he lapped me three times during a race in the rain!!!!!

Seriously, though I think he has a chance not because of talent (though he does have loads of it, maybe not F1 talent) but because he is well funded.

His dad owns several large companies in Venezuela and is loaded and we all know that sometimes money is what gets you there (Baumgartner).

Cheers,

Jon

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    A sad and true statement about F1.

Just to further hijack the thread: I was watching a tape of the Spanish GP from Austrian TV. Every other minute it was "Klien this, Klien that". They treated him as the next Lauda. Yeah, right.

17. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    How much of Baumgartner's personal dollars are paying for his seat? I had heard that his ride was purchased by his fans. But I doubt they'd swing for all of it.

18. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    I'm a big Montoya fan, he's my second favorite driver after Webber. Only person on the grid that's willing to battle with MS, bar TS, maybe.

19. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    THAT COLUMBIAM MAD MIDGET MONTOYA IS GOING TO END UP KILLING SOMEONE (hopefully himself) with his rash driving and crazy tactics.

He is the worst driver in F1 (other than paying drivers) and is a menace to the sport. He does not even know the rules of formula 1 and complains when he gets black flagged. All he knows is how to complain and he whines about everything. His greed made him sign a contract with McLaren. Too bad he is going to be the final nail into the McLaren coffin next year.

20. hps

hps Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    I'll weigh in on this.....

Juan is like Mansell........a character. Talented ? yes......Brave ?....undoubtedly....
    But, like Mansell, complains too much...thinks too highly of himself, and will possibly get one shot at a title, IF...and I mean IF.....the opportunity drops into his lap.
    Like Mansell in '92, with the FW 14B, the best car, bar none that year, he made the most of it, and won his title....
    I think Montoya will be remembered in much the same way as Mansell.
    You either love him or hate him, but you can't deny, the F1 needs dirvers like him.

Personally, I like Juan, but he is just not on Schumacher's level, or Alonso's level.
    He'll win a bunch of races, have some controversy, always be in the thick of things, wreck a few McLarens, and maybe, if the situation and car allows, he'll win a title....but not while Michael is there.

Sorry.....my 2 cents.....

don't spend it all in one place....

hps

21. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    I'm no fan of JPM..

He is a good driver but what he did to MS last year at the end of the season I hate him. (he was trying to pass MS and then he hits Michael by the side and puts him in the dirt. I don't remember which race it was)

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    hps, you're so spot on. With every single statement, I love it. Including the part where JPM will wreck a few McLarens. I bet Ron sees that one coming already.

PS: I used to love Mansell for these reasons. Fearless, talented, brave and brainless.

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes I also agree with hps now. This is a bit of a turn around for me, but F1 needs more big balls drivers like JPM. Currently we have to many careful thinkers ... races are like watching a University exam sitting :(

Pete's now on JPM's side to some degree

24. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Haha, I love that line. So true!

25. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yeah i remember that one too. A previous JPM fan, but i was ashamed of what his did that day, and i think many people around him were as well. I not saying that he is a bad driver, but his tactics in the heat of racing is shameful.
    Is it just me, or if JPM's race is ruined by one way or another, i feel "satisfied" in some way.
    I don't think JPM deserves to be in F1. Why? Cause F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport in more ways than one. Cars, technology and teams have to be at the top of the game. And that includes drivers. JPM's class as a driver on talent is great, but his attitude and ideals belong in something like kart racing, where schoolboy grudges and whinges are not uncommon, saying that from experience.