Daytona Part.... Ferrari UK ? | FerrariChat

Daytona Part.... Ferrari UK ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Tspringer, Jun 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I may be in need of the chrome trim surround piece that goes around the left rear quarter window. This is the little chrome piece that is chromed brass with small studs that bolts to the car and surrounds the entire window area on the side. We are trying to remove mine so a small rust spot below the left rear window can be repaired, but the little nuts are pretty happy where they are after 35 years being undisturbed. I fear the studs may not survive the removal.....

If we do need a replacement, anyone know a source? Do I need to contact an international financier to deal with the price?

Terry

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Spray with WD 40.
    Wait
    Spray with WD 40
    Wait
    Clean off surface WD 40
    Heat nut Slightly
    Remove
    If stud breaks a new one can be welded on and part rechromed. May be cheaper.

3. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Use a dremel type grinder to cut off the nut. Once removed, simply clean the threads up and use new nuts.

Worst case, braize (because it's a brass part) a new stud on after the original breaks off, and re-chrome...as said

4. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Jim, were in that process now.... using PB Blaster which I prefer to WD, but the same idea. ITs getting squirted a couple times a day.

If.... and I really hope not..... we have to get a new one I was just wanting to get an idea on price. You guy are probably right though, fixing it if it breaks would be cheaper.

Terry

5. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    T...

We have the 'U' shape piece that wraps around the left hand rear qtr glass, #30012702 at £141.50 and the longer piece that goes over the gutter front to back and wraps around the back end of this window #30038103 £110.35

Any good ?!

6. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    I am pretty sure I have this part out of the Straman parts

tom shaughnessy

7. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Jeff,

Thanks! Im not sure as yet if we would need anything, have to see if the removal techniques are successful. Still, those prices are pretty good considering!

Tom, Ill give you a shout as well if we end up with a need. I had never really thought about it but I guess the cutting of coupes to make convertibles would result in some used spares for these parts!

That brings up another idea. My car developed a rust spot below the left rear quarter window where the drain runs behind the panel from behind the quarter glass. A very typical Daytona rust area I understand. The bump in the paint was barely noticable but I figured it was better to fix it before it got worse.

Bo Pirkle has cut out the effected section. He is planning on making a patch panel. The quarter window will be removed as well as all the chrome trim mentioned above. The patch will include a portion of the lower edge where the window mounts and extending down into the quarter panel under the window.

When the coupes were cut.... was this panel replaced? Do you have any old but solid sections laying about from which we could source a perfect patch panel? If so, it may make sense to do that rather than make one from scratch. Bo says its not a terribly difficult patch to fabricate and he has done many of these but your post got me to wondering.

Terry

8. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    T.

Can do a complete rear clip ?!

9. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    since we are talking daytona parts, I am looking for the ring that goes on top of the headlights for the front driver's side. It is oval and fits right on top of the headlight bucket in the front of the bucket in front of the headlights (pop up headlights of course.) Anyone know where one can be bought? I can have one fabricated as i have another daytona i can borrow the trim piece from, but prefer just to buy the sucker.

10. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    '....I have another Daytona....'.

Cool ! I feel so inadequate only having one :)

Jeff - do you have a Daytona drivers' door quarterlight latch..? Mine recently went missing during a magazine photo shoot.. :(

John

11. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Coachi,

Check with Tom Yang about the headlight trim ring. He just got through going through some of Jerry Curtis' former stock. A lot of trim pieces form what I understand.

Click on "A Great Ferrari Day" and I think you will get the gist of it.

http://www.tomyang.org/cars/ferrari.html

Regards,

Drew Altemara

12. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    Thanks Drew. I emailed the gentleman and hope to hear from him. Thanks for the heads up