Any shooters here? | FerrariChat

Any shooters here?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Tennlee, Jun 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    I'm looking for some advice on an 22LR handgun to shoot accurately. I've shot rifles all my life, and know what I can shoot well (Big cal, my bolt action Weatherby, rimfire my Marlin 17VS), but I'm not very informed on pistols. Some of my friends shoot at a local indoor range- so no rifles. I'm thinking I want to buy a 22LR auto. The only pistol I own now is a Beretta 92FS (9mm), which is the same gun I shoot in the military. I don't find its sufficiently accurate, and its, well, overkill against a sheet of paper. An advice?

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
  3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  4. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Ruger Mark II's are hard to beat, especially if you get one with a little work done to it. It's still a very fine pistol right out of the box, too.

5. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    As much as I prefer a traditional looking pistol, for a reasonable price, the ruger is the best choice, or perhaps (still made?) the browning that is similar in style. I would get the browning. I bought a BL22 and the rifle has never let me down, so why not give that a try;)

6. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    The Ruger is the best choice, I've shot a MK 2 many times and had a bunch of fun. Also shot a Ruger .22 Rifle with twin 30 round banana clips attached together... empty one, flip it around and have more fun. I love to shoot... I used to shoot trap every Thursday night.

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    if you are ex military and have and preference to the colt 1911 style, consider the ruger 22/45. its set up like a colt .45 m 1911. it uses the same mags as a MII. if you want the most fun you have ever had with clothes on, get a ruger .22 with a silencer ONLY IF YOU LIVE IN A STATE WHERE THEY ARE LEGAL. they run around 600 -$800 + $200. federal " tax " fee for a class 3 firearm. my ruger with my Gemtec silencer is Quieter than a can of soda bieng opened. and you can hold your thumb over the bolt while shooting to make it a " silent single shot, or use all 10 rounds in the mags. agiula sub sonic ammo is the best stuff i have used, though even CCI Stinger hyper velocity stuff is quiet in my .22 one drawback is they have a short range ( silenced weapons) but all i do is shoot cans and paper targets.

8. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i figured i would get the " whats your vin number crap, show us a pic "ect.

9. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    ps the piece of paper is the letter from ATF with a pic of you and all your info, along with the gun. the stamp in the top right corner is the $200.00 tax stamp for the " permission" to have a silencer, machine gun or short barreled weapon. that piece of paper must stay with the gun, even at the range.

10. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Thanks for all the advice, guys. Sounds like I'll have to investigate the Ruger/Browning option. I do have a Ruger 10/22 rifle for cheap plinking, and it works perfectly. Carreaper, I'm in the ANG (USAF), but as long as I've been in (about 15 years) they've used the M9. I'd love to have a 1911 one day, but not for accurate shooting!

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Find a real 1911 & have it properly gunsmithed. I have a competitive friend in the Carolinas who swears by his - [re]loads his own ammo, shoots hundreds/thousands of rounds weekly from his nearly century-old piece.

Ruger pistol and carbine is what I "cut my teeth" on. Magnificent.

12. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Tennlee, best accuracy from a 1911 comes from throwing it at someone's head! not shooting at them!;)

13. Lee White

Lee White Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Full Name:
    Lee White

Beretta 87BB w/ counterweighted long barrel. Best pistol I ever owned.

14. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    For targets, I recomend the HighStandard

15. sboney

sboney Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    New 1911 models from Wilson Combat, Kimber or Les Baer are as reliable as any carry/duty gun on the market and more accurate than most. For example:

"Les Baer's Premier II© has become the industry standard to which all other factory or custom built 1911s are compared. The 5" long Government Model (pictured above) is the best single stack duty, defense or competition pistol you'll find in America -- the best quality, the best value and the best performance. No wonder so many of them show up at IPSC Limited Class matches. The Premier II© is even guaranteed to shoot 3" groups at 50 yards"

16. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm not deep in gun knowledge, but I know they make a conversion kit for the 92 series berettas to make them shoot a 22LR round. Any opinions?

17. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    A QUALITY Colt .45 with outshoot a beretta / taurus 9mm all day, everyday. i have a older GoldCup National Match ( 1970 something) that will put slugs where they need to be. my springfield .45 is very accurate as well. cheap 1911 copies are just that and wont shoot well without mods. most " new" 1911 clones are made of cheap material.

18. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
  19. Michael

Michael Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2001
    Nevada
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Grab a Walther PP22. 22LR they also have cans for them (silencer kits) and you can fit an M6 tactical light into the built in rails. The new Walther bullpup I seen at this years SHOT show was not bad either. Fun shooting those little buggers.

20. 4.6MustangSteve

Feb 29, 2004
    Woodbridge, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have a Colt 70 Series 9mm Combat Commander. Nice, accurate, and fun to shoot. Not as fun as my 1898 Argentine Mauser, though.

21. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    As an alternative... How about a .454 Cassul with a 6" barrel?

22. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    GUN PURCHASED!

A local sporting goods store is going out of business this weekend, and I bought the following Ruger for only $260. Hope that's a deal... Anyway, I wanted something I could shoot often, so that's why the .22 caliber. Its a stainless Ruger Mark II. I'll try it out tomorrow and report back.

23. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Nice choice you'll enjoy it greatly.

I have always found the Rugers to be a bit of a challenge to take apart. I never can remember the tricks since I do it rarely.

24. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Does that screw on or is it intergral with the barrel?

25. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    If the targets are starlets, Charlie Manson would agree!!....