Fatal accident | FerrariChat

Fatal accident

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Fan512bbi, Jun 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Hi guys i havent been on F-CHAT now for over a month, the reason being is that me and my wife were involved in a fatal accident, we had been out for a nice meal and were driving home over the Brecon beacons, it was a lovely clear evening and i was in no rush we seen a car approaching near a series of slow bends i entered the first bend and my last memory was of a set of headlights on my side of the road, i woke up 17 hours later in a great deal of pain my first concern was for my wife, who i was told was in a critical condition, 2 days later she responded to treatment and woke up, i recieved multiple broken bones in my feet and legs and a serious wound to my head, my wife also had broken bones in both legs, but the most serious injury was her hip bone which was smashed very badly she is still in hospital now on traction and we are hoping that she does not have to have a artificil hip implanted, i myself still cannot walk unaided, the person driving the other car died at the scene of the accident he was 42 years of age and left behind a wife and 2 daughters aged 7 and 14, we were later told by the police that he was almost 3 times over the drink drive limit, by ending i will say to you guys dont take nothing for granted it could be taken away in a flash.

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Stephen

There was nothing you could have done to prevent this - clearly, the other driver put not only his fate, but yours in jeopardy. Do not let the loss of life weigh on you one moment. Nor should you question your judgment as to you or your bride's condition. It is not your fault. I extend my empathy and sympathy for you and your bride's condition, and wish you both as speedy a recovery as humanly and spiritually as possible. Take it one day at a time and may you both find strength to give one another as you recover and thereafter.

Tom

3. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Glad to hear you and your wife are okay (relatively speaking).

What cars and speeds were involved?

4. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Stephen,
    really sorry to hear this. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

5. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    terrible - wish you and your wife a speedy recovery

6. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Sorry to hear this Stephen. Best wishes that you and your wife recover quickly and completely. My prayers also go out to the other driver's family. How sad.

7. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    My car was a BMW 330 coupe i was travelling at approx 40 mph the other car was a Vauxhall corsa, police estimates say he was doing approx 60-65mph, thanks for the kind words to you all much appreciated.

8. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Please do everything you can to accept that you and your wife were blessed to survive and have the support of all of us; the physical wounds will heal. But you must care for your mental well-being and she for hers. Don't wait to get the right help early; it can make a huge difference in how you feel. Welcome back and you are right, life is precious.

9. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Hmm, that's a combined speed of around 100mph, or 160kmph. Damn!

10. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Dam, thats awful, Glad to hear you & your wife are alive. Get well soon

11. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    you are right it is like driving into a wall at 100mph, luckily the impact was not directly head on, it was the passenger side more on the vauxhall that hit our car, the accident was bad enough, i shudder to think what would be the outcome if both vehicles were directly head on.

12. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I'm very happy to hear you both survived and wish you a speedy recovery.

DL

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I believe in the adage, "Prepare for the worst, hope for the best." As such, I hope this adds peace of mind in this difficult time.

I'm certain it must be painful to do the most mundane things right now - but this will come to pass. The mind reels at the prospect of so many alternatives, doesn't it? It's obvious that us F-Chatters are not going to let you down - and damn it, we're not going to let you worry, either, OK? I'm glad to see you haven't lost function of the ol' grey matter, let alone your ability to post on dear old F-Chat. As for artificial hips - fear not - they've come a long, long way, baby. While it's in no way comparable to your bride's situation, an Aunt of mine who taught dance for 40 years has had hers replaced. She's a hypercritical old bird, but glad she did this. Fact is, a Google search shows there are over 168,000 hip replacement surgeries performed annually. Rest assured, she's more than a statistic - like you, she's going to get and be better in spite of all this, come hell or high water.

It may be an old mantra, it may be new - when it comes right down to those tough decisions, all you can do is say, "I believe."

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    God speed on you and your wife's recovery. I suspect that you may be in a few rough days ahead, but just take it one step at a time. Also don't look back. There's nothing that you could have done about a drunk driver. It's just bad luck. Keep focusing on the future, and you'll do fine. And keep us informed here on FC. If there is anything that we can do for you, we will all reach accross these wires and help.

Take care, DrTax

15. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    I hope that you and your wife have a speedy recovery. Every cloud has a sliver lining and atleast the two of you are still together to support each other through this trying time. Please be sure to keep us informed on your condition. Drinking and driving is the worst thing any motorist can do.

16. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I'm very sorry to hear this.

I wish yourself & your wife a very speedy recovery.

:(

17. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    sorry to hear, drinking and driving sucks

18. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I wish you and your wife a quick recovery. Just know you have a lot of support here... we are all here for you and your wife.

"by ending i will say to you guys dont take nothing for granted it could be taken away in a flash."

....... so true

19. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Thank you all for the kind words and support, it has really made me feel the happiest i have felt since the accident, but there is one question nobody has the answer to and that is WHY, why did a 42 year old man who should have known better drink so much alcohol and drive his car, why did he not think of his family, his wife is now a widow his daughters now have no father, was it fate that we met, if i had taken the quickest route home instead of the most scenic would he still be alive, it was a last minute decision to take the route i did why, i could keep on for hours with these questions but they get me knowhere, i know there was nothing humanly possible i could have done but still keep asking myself was there? anyway thanks again to all of you, you really are a great bunch of guys.

20. jonathanp

jonathanp Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Peck
    Working in the EMS business many years ago, I saw quite a bit of this type of accident.

Please concentrate on the fact that you and your wife are still alive and will recooperate. It is in no way your fault.

Best wishes to you and your wife, I wish you the best and quickest recovery.

21. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    Fan, you cannot answer those whys. When I was 50 years old, I had a heart attack...why me, I said. Because.....I am happy you and your wife survived, equally sad that another human being died, and drinking and driving simply dont mix. You can beat yourself to death trying to answer the whys....the answer is simply....no reason...that is why these things are called accidents.
    I will keep you and the deceased person's family in my prayers.

22. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Stephen,

So many of your questions can not be answered because they have no answers.

"if i had taken the quickest route home instead of the most scenic would he still be alive"

This statement concerns me and is no way accurate. You need to be clear in your head that this gentleman sealed his own destiny and he almost took you and your wife with him. I am sad for his familys' loss, but you are no more responsible then if he had hit a tree or someone else. If you want to over analyze this at least be fair to yourself........

- Eric

23. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I'll second this reply. It's such a shame that people are so F'ing stupid to get behind a wheel when they drink. I think these people (when they live) should be thrown in prison for good (and get the same treatment there as a child molester). To me they are scum.

24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    My thoughts and get well wishes are with you and your wife.

25. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Stephen... Omg, i am so sorry... This is horrible... i'm glad to hear that you and your wife are alive, though...

Stephen, there was absolutely nothing you could've done to prevent this... All the what-ifs you're asking yourself are normal and healthy but when it comes down to it, you can look at it a million different ways... What if fate sent you home that way so that that driver could crash into YOU rather than the group of girl scouts selling cookies 5 miles further down the road or whatever...

Why did he get behind the wheel intoxicated...? No one will ever know for sure...We all do stupid things at some point in our lives... i'm just sorry that this happened to you and your wife... i hope the both of you recover extra quick... My deepest sympathies go out to both of you with my sincerest wishes for you both to recover as soon as possible. Please keep us posted...