Dino "L" series | FerrariChat

Dino "L" series

Discussion in '206/246' started by 4CamGT, Jun 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I have *00474* "L" Series Dino. I am really interested in sharing and documenting the details of the 357 cars built. From the books and manuals I see a difference between the cars prior and after chassis *00530*. My car has the 206 gearbox, 206 fully adjustable suspension w/hard bushings, wood wheel, and straight eared spinners. I am really fascinated with the "L" Series and can't find much on these cars through books etc. I'm hoping there are some other owners out there that would like to share their knowledge.

Freeman

2. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Have you been in touch with Denny Schue of the Dino Register? Lots of info. on the differences and when they were phased in. See: www.dinoregsiter.com .

3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Yes, Denny has been a great help. He has encouraged me to discuss this on a forum to discuss and share info. There's alot that hasn't been documented. In a sense, on the "L" series we're just beginning. As an example, when were curved spinners used? Is there a difference between an early "L" series gearbox vs at the end of the run? When is the last useage of the 206 suspension? This is probably pretty essoteric stuff to many.

Freeman

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Freeman.

Wander into your nearest Ferrari Dealer. Get to know the mechanic who works on the dinos they service, maybe let him turn a wrench on yours the next time it needs service.

My mechanic has been invaluable in providing me with history, parts sources, and all kinds of stuff.

Ignore this advice if the nearest Ferrari Dealer is 200 miles away.

I'll do some diggin in my books on Dinos and see if I can come up with anything, too.

5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Dave,

I've found that every mechanic has their own recollections. I've been in contact with many of them. They are pretty open with their knowledge. Tom Shaughnessy is a good friend and has taught me alot. Tom is a wealth of Ferrari knowledge. I'm sure even Tom doesn't have the answers I'm asking. He's encouraged me to do this as well. What is interesting to me and probably alot of early Dino enthusiasts are whats on the various cars. Once we know that we can see a pattern. The idea of this thread is hopefully for an owner to say I have chassis *0___ and my car has______.

Freeman

6. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I haven't heard of too many Freeman Thomas's so if you are the car designer, then I admire your work. I'm an Art Center Grad '89 and fellow Dino owner.

Take care and have fun,

Manny

7. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Freeman,

Was your Dino at the Rodeo Drive show? I noticed a Dino 246 GT with the license plate "4CAMGT".

Manny

8. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Yes and thank you for the compliments and yes on Rodeo Drive.

Freeman

9. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Very cool. Beautiful car. And Welcome to Fchat.

Manny

10. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Manny,

Thanks for having me,what year is your Dino?

Freeman

11. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Mine's a 72 GTS. #03752.

Manny

12. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Do you have a copy of the 206GT manual for comparison? Might spot some stuff there? If you need one, I have it on PDF about 17mb.

Bill Badurski from FCA also has tons of knowledge here. Maybe he could chime in.

If not, you can wander over to the Bulletin Board from FCA and see if he'll respond over there. I know there are a couple of 206 owners there, too, who might provide some comparison for you with pix, etc.

13. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    does your car have the alloy body ?

14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    My body is steel with all opening panels(doors, hood, trunk,and engine lid in aluminium) vs the all alloy body of the 206. I think all "L" Dinos are this way. I've heard a couple were made in all alloy. In the french book, "Dino,Les autres Ferrari" it mentions chassis #'s 00518, 00558, 00588, and 00692 having alloy bodies. Of interest I have a couple of friends in the area with 206's. The body shape and measurements are identical including the roof, glass and the doors forward also from the rear wheelhouse rearward including the trunk. Where they differ in measurement is from the door lock post to the rear wheelarch. The 246 is 2.3"(140mm) longer which is the difference in wheelbase. You can see this difference also in the engine lid which has one more vent(7 vs 6) on the 246 (lid is 2.3" longer). They are also identical in height and width. These measurements are also shown in the 206/246 homologation papers from Ferrari. The owner's manual for my car is actually a 206 manual with a 246 supplement.

Freeman

15. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Freeman- Speaking of "Dino, Les Autres Ferrari", author Jean-Pierre Gabriel is a nice guy and pretty knowledgable. Have you inquired of him? If not, feel free to use my name, as we used to correspond and my former chairs and flares GTS (#05828) appears in that book and a couple of his others on Dinos. He doesn't speak English, but if you don't speak French I believe his wife can translate English for him.

Ira Schwartz

16. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Ira,

His book has so far been the only one that doesn't seem to just repeat. It has been informative on original information and I don't even speak or read French. Most of the books I've picked up spend a sentence or two on the various series of the Dino without any particular detail. For example, in no publication including official Ferrari manuals does it show where to find your gearbox number or type. I have had to find this out for myself. This is important to receiving the "Heritage Certificate" through Ferrari because you have to supply them with all your numbers.They will only issue you the "Heritage Certificate" if all the numbers on your particular car are correct. I received mine a couple of weeks ago. It was alot of anxiety because no one could tell me how to do it. I had to find out for myself. I was the guinee pig. What I would love to see happen on this thread are some "L" series owners sharing the details of their particular car or an enthusiast who has documented these cars. Freeman

17. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Freeman.

It would be great if you did a blow by blow description of that process. I'm sure there are several people here, myself included, who have considered getting a Heritage Cert. but have found the process quite intimidating and confusing.

Maybe in your 'spare time' you could start a step by step thread here.

Dave

18. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Freeman,
    I don't recall off-hand the titles of Jean-Pierre's other Dino-related books, but there are at least two. Although not as comprehensive as the one you've already got, they may have some photos you haven't seen. I've got copies, but they're in storage following a fire at my house some months back, so it'll be some time before I can check. I know these books survived the fire, but until I'm moved back in I won't have access to them. If you're interested, remind me in a couple of months and I'll fill you in.
    Ira
    P.S.: Congratulations on the Heritage Certificate- sounds like a daunting process!

19. 72dino

72dino Rookie

Apr 30, 2004
    Hi Freeman!

Yes, we would all be very interested in learning the ropes to get through the Heritage Cert.

Steve's car should be able to get one as well...

Peter

20. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    First you have to register on Ferrari's official website, www.owners.ferrari.com It will take about 48 hours to be confirmed. Then you have access to their services. Click on "Heritage Certificate". It will ask your Car Model, chassis number (00400 for example), type of engine(135cs for a 246), number of engine( The whole number ex:135c 000 000 XXXX), type of gearbox (607 on mine, got it from the parts book as it was not stamped,it may be stamped on some later cars, noticed on my friend's 206 was also not stamped),number of gearbox (on my car it was a 3-digit number under the right left rear motor mount facing down. You can see it with a mirror). Type and number of rear axle does not apply. Then click and submit. If they need more information they will email you. They were very helpful. I have been documenting the numbers from other Dinos and have found there is definitley a sequence so at least we can find out if your numbers are in the neighborhood where they should be. Once the approve it will be accessible digitally through their website and you can print it out.

Freeman

21. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Did I mention it was FREE and took about 48 hours?

Freeman

22. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian

Freeman,

Thank you very much for the information on the heritage certificate. I have been submitting numerous heritage certificate requests and have figured out through trial and error some of the information that you have indicated.

My mistakes have been to put too much information into the request. I just recently figured out the engine type when I took a look at the identification plate and owners manual, instead of the using the engine type number stamped on the block which doesn't include the "s" in 135cs and is misleading. I have been trying to figure out what to put for gearbox type and probably will get rejected for providing more information than just the 607 (submitted 607-R-17). My gearbox number is 784 MO and the last submission I omitted the MO.

This process is very difficult because Ferrari doesn't provide any examples of what information and format they are requesting when they indicate that you didn't provide the correct information.

23. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Russell, You're probably fine. Once you submit your information they will contact you if they need more info. At this point you are in contact with Ferrari Customer Service and you can communicate with a real human being. By the way, their english is excellent. What is your chassis number and where did you find your gearbox number? One of the things I'm curious about is do all the 246 motors say 135c stamped on the block(not on the data plate) or do some of you have 135cs where the engine number is?

Freeman

24. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Do you have the Brooklands book, "Ferrari Dino, 1965-1974 Limited Edition Extra"?

Because it has a lot of European articles,on the 206 and 246, it may have more information on your "L" than some of the US magazine collections from Road and Track or CAr and Driver.

25. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Dave,

Yes, thank you, I have that book.It has a few articles on the 206 and two on the "L" series. I'd love to have better photos. I have the chassis number of the right hand drive converted car on page 50 somewhere but I think its towards the end of the "L" series run. That article was written in 1972. Have you read the Peter Egan story from the March '85 R&T on page 94? Has some great lines. I still want to discuss and see actual cars whether they are right or wrong. You have to have all the information on the table first. When were the first rotational spinners used and when was the last straight eared ones used? When was the last wood wheel installed and when did they introduce the "Daytona" style wheel?

Freeman