Engine part ID Needed, please help | FerrariChat

Engine part ID Needed, please help

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by PeterS, Jun 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    On my '77 308, I have a small leak from a seal attached to a rod that goes into the crank case. When the car was racked, I did not examine it for enough time to understand what this seal does and the rod that it is attaced to.

1) What is this seal / rod?
    2) Since there is a welded support bar is right under the seal, is this an 'engine-out' job to replace the seal?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Ps: I looked through my repair CD and could not see this part!

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    1) probably the shift shaft seal (try TAV 31 or the page labeled "COMANDI ESTERNI CAMBIO" in your SPC)

2) not engine out, but it requires removing a motor mount or two (plus a fair bit of disassembly) and doing some engine "manuevering/angling" to be able to withdraw the rod in the forward direction.

See this post by Tod328gts:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7445&page=2&pp=20

3. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Bingo, thats the one! What does this shaft do? I don't quite understand it.

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    The rod is the link from the shift lever inside the car to the transmission. It's what changes the gears when you move the shifter.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Unfortunately, I've never come across a clear/concise illustration and/or description showing the complete 308/328 shifting mechanism in the F documentation -- but it's the kind of thing where once you have the gearbox pan off and can just look at it in action it's very clear/obvious how it works (the best you can do is try to combine the SPC illustrations showing the "external gearbox controls" and the "internal gearbox controls" -- you'll note that that shaft appears in both).

As DJ said, that shaft translates and rotates in response to the gear shift lever motions in order to select what gear, if any, is engaged inside the gearbox. There are actually two "seals" (I think they are just o-rings on your '77) that should be replaced -- one where that shaft penetrates the crankcase and another where that shaft exits the crankcase and enters the gearbox.

The only encouraging thing I can say is that it's not an uncommon problem at all so "situation normal" ;)

6. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    This is one of the next things on my "to do list"!! It's the only leak I have left after having almost every other seal on the car replaced when I had it serviced.

7. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    DAMN! I never put those two together! Darn clever Italian's!

8. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Doesn't sound too bad. I disconnect the main shift rod, and turn the shift shaft about 90 degrees clockwise and it should slide out, right? The seal was original. 27 year old seals should leak.

9. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Damn! Why did we not think of replacing this seal prior to putting the engine in the car! (hehe)