Classic plates | FerrariChat

Classic plates

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by mk e, Jun 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I just got my PA classic plate today for the 308. It seems like such a great deal. I don't know what other states have this, but for a one time $75 fee it is registered for life with NO MORE EMISSIONS INSPECTION to deal with... which is the main reason I decided to get the plate....the fuel injectors I'm running because of the supercharger are 62 lb/hr each, I did the math a couple weeks ago, I think that means at full throttle a full tank of gas would last 14 minutes...anyway, now it doesn't matter. It is limited to use as transportation to 1 day per week, but there is no mileage restriction and I couldn't find anyone who has ever even heard of anyone getting a ticket for driving their classic to work too many days per week, and trips, outings,drives, shows, races and such don't count anyway. It seems like a perfect fit, finally something about living in PA I like! I just thoght I'd share, I didn't know there was such a thing...I guess lead a sheltered life....

2. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I once met a man at a show who had a Ferrari 330 America, he mentioned something about the mileage restriction being 2500 miles per year, is that low or high? It seems extremly low to me, but I dont know anything aobut the mileage restrictions so i thought I would ask while were on topic.

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    It does seem low, but I guess there are a lot of people who don't go over that anyway. PA doesn't have a restriction...although I guess if they did, I might be very tempted to buy a second speedo for inspection day or unplug it...but that would be wrong....

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Mark, everything running fine now?

I hear you about the classic plates! I got a set for my 328. I highly suggest them for anyone in PA with a car 15 years or older. I run cat-less as well...

5. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    The car has to be 30 years old here in Washington. Too bad because it's almost as good a deal here.

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Wow, in PA a car that is 25 years(I think) or more can qualify as a Antique...although I do not remember the benefits over classic plates.

7. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I just got antique plates in IL to get around emissions. I was fed up with the whole deal. The restriction is only driving to a show, to get gas or get service. "Gee officer, I was just getting gas". How the hell can they prove otherwise? Also "for entertainment of the public" is allowed. Well, if I saw a 1972 Lotus Europa TC passing me on the road, I'd be pretty entertained! I won't try that in court if I ever get pulled over, which I don't expect. I've been pulled over once: the cop wanted to see the car.

Ken

8. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    An antique needs to inspections at all...but can only be driven sun rise to sun set.

Pretty good and perfectly driveable...but not quite prefect yet. I'm just finishing up a couple changes this week and will give it a try in the morning.

A friend of mine has NJ antique plates, I think the rules are similar, but he drives it whenever he wants and has for about 5 years. He told me he was stopped once because there was no inspection stick, but the officer apologized after he saw the antique plate…the way he explains it is “the one good thing about a few gray hairs in not being pulled over anymore”.