new site header setup - nice! | FerrariChat

new site header setup - nice!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Doody, Feb 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    rob:

i like the changes. good stuff. it looks WAY less cluttered and it resizes MUCH better horizontally now.

a few suggestions:

* consider putting Log Out into the User Options menu. i'm not sure why anyone would use that functionality much at all, let alone often enough to keep it "up top"

* i'd order things:
    Sponsors
    FerrariAds.com
    Race Team
    Resources
    User Options
    Search
    for the following reasons.

you want sponsors to be prominent so people click on that link. being far left (or far right) helps that imo. you might even consider making that link a tad red or something to make it stand out from the other items in the bar. presumably what's good for the sponsors is good for everybody here.

as a general rule, your mouse is at the top left of a web page far less frequently than it is on the right side of a web page (due to the scroll bar and the way most sites are designed, including this one). but the User Options menu is frequently touched, so having it on the right side of the screen is a good idea (imho).

User Options and Search are probably the two most common menus that a person will touch, so keeping them together makes sense.

my tuppence.

doody.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Perfect suggestions Doody. I agree with all of them. Thanks.

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    example, fwiw.

doody.

4. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I think it was good when I first started searching the archives. Then I thought it was good last time. Now I think it's good this time. I think next time will be good also.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    How about putting User Options at the far right?

I think that will be used more than Search, although I wish everyone would use Search more. :D

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Ohh, FYI. Eventually I will replace all the "custom" FerrariChat.com pages, like Sponsors, Race Team, and everything under Resources to the same header and menu as the rest of the site.

7. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    The new header does add a nice professional touch.Nice.

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I agree, very very slick. Keeping the user options on the 'outside' it a good call.

Is it better to keep Log Out or Search on the right extreme?

--Dan

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Rob is this why the "New Posts" button has been floating around? I kinda liked it in the toolbar. Oh well, I guess this is just another Gen X thing.....

Dr Confused

10. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    doc - BOOKMARK the new posts link and put it on your browser links list - that's what i do, and i'm so hip i can't see past my pelvis!

:)

doody

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well, I just changed computers and now I can't even find the damn thing at all. Rob, quit messing with me!

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It's one more click away now, but do what Doody suggests (that's still same amount of clicks though). I just wanted to clean up the "main" menu bar. I even put several of my favorite pages a level down under Resources.

OK, I just now switched User Options over and put Log Out under the drop down. How does it look?

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Are you not logged in or are you on a computer that can't handle DHTML pop ups?

14. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    YOU'RE BLIND BABY. YOU'RE BLIND FROM THE FACTS ON WHO YOU ARE CUZ' YOU'RE WATCHING THAT GARBAGE!

armageddon? it's been in effect. GO GET A LATE PASS!

have a nice evening.
    doody

15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    WTF is a 1%@%@#$%@# pop up. I hate these damn things. But now the User Option thing is back. Crap, I think that I'll just go program my VCR or sumthang. All I want is my MTV! Money for nuthin and da chicks for free!

Enough venting. Is there anyway to get the New Posts in the toolbar? I tried Doody's idea of trying to bookmark the link, but I guess that I'm not fast enough or whatever. I'm going to bed. Nighty Night.

16. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Rob: good call on moving the log-out. Looks much better. I like how the search drop-down is there so you don't have to go to a separate page to search. Nicely done.

I am rendered speechless... :D

--Dan

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    You get my taxes done, I get your New Posts link back! :D

Actually, It's only one click away. Go User Options, then New Posts.