convertible vs coupe | FerrariChat

convertible vs coupe

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by scycle2020, Jun 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    this is a question i fight with all the time....be it an f car, or an performance car, the coupes always have better structural rigidity and better performance and lighter weight, the the conv. are so much fun on a nice day or night with the top down....esp in an f car...but even the 355 and 360 spiders, as nice as they are, are still not as tight as the coupe versions....perhaps, the answer is a performance coupe, and also get a fun conv. for wind inthe hair motoring

2. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    after having owned a spyder, coupes make much more sense due to the weather in my area, plus with a coupe you don't have to worry with people messing with the interior if you leave your car parked, or the sun frying the leather. but thats just my opinion.

3. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    the weather plays a major part in this it will be a coupe for me as the weather is rubbish in england [as for the wind in the hair factor i am bald]

4. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    I had both a 1999 Modena and a 2003 Spider. I am and was a fanatic about these cars and only used them on nice days and in the coupe always had the windows down to hear the wonderful induction noise. Since I always drove windows down I enjoyed the Spider more, but the Modena definately is tighter and felt like the little more Agile of the two.

5. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    If your not on the track and don't care about 10ths of seconds in performance, or the skid pad G force being 9.8 instead of 9.6 nothing beats a convertable. And don't forget in 30 seconds the top can be up, best of both worlds. IMHO

6. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Where I live a coupe would be more practical, esp. if it's your daily driver. But, I didn't care about that. For enjoyment, just cruisin', I'll take top down spider over a coupe. The days of "top her out....last ounce of power" I was over with during my vette days. I'm just glad I lived though it......

Spider gets the looks

7. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    I gotta have something I can take the top off.........the wind, the engine noise, gotta love the conv. Coupes are great, but I never drove mine in the rain/snow, so weather wasn't an issue...............as said, top on and off in 30 seconds..........so not that big of deal.

8. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    coupes are much better in my eyes stiffer you dont have your hair blowing in your eyes and i really dont like people looking at me plus conertibles look terrible with rag top up.

9. Kevallino

Kevallino Formula 3

Feb 10, 2004
    Mid-Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have three convertible two-seaters, and for Southern California why wouldn't you? None of these are track cars so I don't worry too much about the extra structural integrity that you get with a closed car.

The Benz has the hardtop you can put on, and I guess we could get one for the Boxster if we wanted.

So I'd say it depends on what you're going to do with the car - if you're going to track it get a coupe, otherwise I'd go for the ragtop every time. Just need a four-seater now.

Cheers
    Kevin

10. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    like the color of your car....works very well on the 355 spider

11. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    That's why I think the 355GTS is the best thing on the planet...has the lines of the coupe, but also the ability to pop the top and let the sun shine in (and some engine noise too)

-R

12. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Where I live a coupe would be more practical, esp. if it's your daily driver. But, I didn't care about that. For enjoyment, just cruisin', I'll take top down spider over a coupe. The days of "top her out....last ounce of power" I was over with during my vette days. I'm just glad I lived though it......

Spider gets the looks

13. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    lol.....

I hit the back button on my browser and it resent the post.

14. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    for me, the only solution is to have both at the same time. Modena for nights out on the town and spider for cruising around in the sun

15. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal

I like convertables at nite. On a winter nite, when people have their fireplaces going, it smells great. Summer days are too hot unless you are at the beach

16. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Don't like people looking at you?
    #1 your drive a ferrari
    #2 your exhaust sounds like a jet
    #3 you want a racing stripe and roll cage
    #4 your a good looking guy!
    get over it your going to be looked at :)

17. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Thanks very much, Verde Mugello is the color, I've been told it's the only model and year Ferrari used it.

P.S. Brad "I" think it looks good with top UP too.

18. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I have a coupe and prefer the coupe's look and racy lines. The Spider with the top up looks o.k. but not as gorgeous as a coupe. To me weather wasn't a factor; a sports car should be coupe or have a roll cage for rigidity. I have driven the spider with the top down and it rattles way too much for a Ferrari even on minor bumps on the freeway, I was quite surprised. But above all I think someone who can afford a Ferrari can always afford a convertible for those fun days/night with the drop top. Not to hot rod in but to enjoy the scenery. I just don't care for a high performance convertible; a nice 3 series, which is stylish and comfortable, would do just fine!

19. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Im no owner, but I would prefer a coupe over a convertible anyday.

20. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    that is true, perhaps the conv should be a second car just to cruise around in that doesnt need to have a zillion hp...coupes always do have better performance and are tighter..btw, i would get a used c5 coupe, it has a very tight body, is very comfortalble and can be had cheap with the c6 coming out...th e 3 series bmw conv. seem to be a little heavy and with sign. cowel shake

21. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    For me, convertible is the only way to go. There's nothing like the top down and the sound of the engine right behind you. Convertibles are more expensive (anyone know why that is?), but they are worth the extra cash.

22. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Nothing comes close to the open top, out on back roads, during a warm summer night. Girlfriend optional/bonus. Period.

23. budman

budman Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Buddy Delaney
    I always thought that the convertable was the only car for me and searched for 6 months for a pristine 99 355 spyder in TDF blue to no avail.I found a pristine silver 1999 360 Coupe and have had it about 6 weeks and I am glad now that I went with the coupe. The extreme heat here in the daytime from may-september and the fact that sometimes I want to be able to enjoy the car without everyone knowing who is inside helped me feel good about my choice.Of course the clear engine compartment cover,the 395 hp and the fantastic shape also played a big part.I am sure I would have loved the spyder as well and think for most its a climate and emotion decision as they are both great cars

24. TomSilver

TomSilver Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The best for me would be a convertible with a solid metal roof, like the merc SL. The pro's for the convertible are:

- sun shines on your face
    - your hear your car
    - everybody can see you

the pro's for the coupe are:

- you won't get grilled when it's really hot
    - you can drive really fast without wind noise
    - nobody can see you :)

So, the best solution would be to get the best of both worlds. I've heard rumors that Ferrari works on a solid roof solution for one of the next upcoming cars.
    This would be a very nice car!

Tom

25. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Could not agree more. A GTB with windows down does not even come close to the howling sound of a GTS, but you don't get the hassles of a soft top.