Back from Pahrump/Vegas... | FerrariChat

Back from Pahrump/Vegas...

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Jet-X, Jun 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Whew, and are my arms tired (j/k).

Drove the Mondial out to Pahrump on Thursday afternoon, and boy did I do something incredibly stupid. I drove from Newport Beach to Baker, and through Death Valley all the way (back way) to Pahrump Nevada with the top down. I have a new baked on tan, and well, I have a baked on tan. Burning doesn't even describe it.

My car ran a bit hot up the inclines before the descent into Barstow, but no problems into Pahrump. Averaged about 100MPH most of the way, with some quick stints up to 125MPH. On the back way into Pahrump, we did attract police attention, and drove very slowly. A 911 slipped into our group, and layed low until the police cruiser (who followed for nearly 30 miles) turned around.

The bummer at the track was insurance rules changed and prevented me from taking my car on the track sans roll bar. My two suppliers couldn't come through in time, and my schedule didn't permit many alterations.

However, in the latter part of the day, I was given a pardon, and allowed to track the Mondial. 10 laps was more than enough in 100+ degree heat, and my oil temp was maxed out. Got some good runs, was happy, and then that night headed into Vegas to stay at the Monte Carlo.

Left the keys with the valet, not sure, but I think some Ferris Bueller action went on. Can't prove it, and the contract on the valet ticket basically absolved them of anything, even if they did **** around with my car. Don't know how that ticket would stand up against Nevada law, but will park my own car next time.

This morning, got up , and on the road by 9:00am, and noticed that my speedometer went nuts. At a steady 80MPH, my speedo was fluctuating heavily between 60-90MPH, occasionally dropping to 20MPH and going as high as 180MPH. Go figure, by the time I got to Barstow, car sorted itself out, typical Italian way.

Air conditioner, top up, and my iPod all the way home, no mechanical hiccups (minus speedo anomaly), engine purred all the way home.

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Landsakes Man haven't you learned anything?! You NEVER EVER valet the Ferrari. Other than the speedo going loco on you, and your new redneck LOL, sounds like you had a good time.

3. s_eric09

s_eric09 Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    George
    glad to have you back sound and safe. :)

4. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Did you make it to Sheri's Ranch or the Cherry Patch?

5. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Nah, just to Rosewood Grill (favorite of mine)....

6. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    At the Monte Carlo, the valet refused to allow me to park my 550. Therefore, I parked in the free parking. No one drives my beast.

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Did you at least collect the $200.00? :D

DL

8. Brigitte

Brigitte Guest

Jan 16, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brigitte
    Next time just tell the Valet that you keep your "piece" locked in the glovebox and working undercover and that you'd hate for him to be responsible for it missing.

He'll let you park your own car next time :)

9. ferrari sulla pellicola

ferrari sulla pellicola Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2004
    Los angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard
    i spent a lot of time on the baker-shoshone -pahrump hwy since 1990 often making 3 roundtrips a week driving to the familys property in Pahrump
    from LA.i often took the 348 spyder but usually drove my old euro spec 930 turbo because i felt less guilty abusing the porsche like i did and at 135 mph,its slate grey color blended the car into the desert landscape perfectly.Of course back then there were no cell phone service or call boxes so if you screwed the pooch at speed or had mechanical issues the amount of time before finding help depended on what time of day it was.for many years either i was lucky in guessing the cops hours but except right while in baker or once or twice in shoshone i never,repeat never saw a chp unit patrol on that road until probably 1997,but once they got the communications worked out thru that area the daily patrols increased

10. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Years ago, I noticed when the speedometer cable was disconnected and put back together the speedo actions would not be correct and the needle fluctuated as you described above. There is a possibility the valet guys disconnected your speedo cable, check it out.