not italian but.... | FerrariChat

not italian but....

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by smg2, Jun 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    okay i'm looking for a new car for my wife and we have so far narrowed it down between a Audi A8L and a MB S500. the wrench was thrown in at the dealer when he had a 04' S55 AMG with 14k on the clock for 106k, great car but the little lady thinks it to much power for her. anyways, i'm looking for feedback on either car; they seem pretty much evenly matched so since i haven't owned iether one before i'm asking for input.

the MB does option out just north of 100k but at that point i'm pushing for the S55. MB has dropped the included service in favor of keeping the prices the same as i was told, but it sounds like something else is going on??

any help would be appreciated...

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    No problem, we have a section for that too...

[Thread moved to "Off Topic: Cars & Motorcycles."]

3. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    I would definatly go for the A8L. Have you been in both cars yet?

4. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    A8L, all the way. Or, if that is still a bit rough, get a Jag XJ8L.

5. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Unless you got the S8, I would get the S55 AMG. Though in CA S classes are dime a dozen compared to the A8, I would still get the S55. There is something about an AMG car that can't be quite put into internet words.

Tell your wife, there is no such thing as too much power. That is like saying a ring or a purse is too expensive. ;) How would she know the difference anyways? Get the S55 and take the rear badging off, and tell her its a S500.

Problem solved. :D

6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    yes i have driven all 3, the S55 the A8L and the S500. between the 500 and the A8 they are very similar however the S55 left me with a stupid grin for the better part of the day and made me want more, diffently see myself getting into lots of trouble with that one. my wife is perceptive enough to know the difference between the S55 and the std 500.

my concern is reliability and over all ownership pleasure. this will be her car primarily, i would probably only drive it once or twice a year. esp since i'll have the maser soon. so it's between the A8 and the S500...

7. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Ahh, looks like your wife will know the difference. Well to me "the stupid grin" is the answer for the car. A car should be fun and not just transportation. Mercedes and Audi are neither known for their reliability. If you wanted reliability a LS430 would be the best option.

I say go for the S55, and tell your wife to drive slow. Good luck. :)

8. S55 hands down gorgous interior and exterior and plenty of power AMG handbuilt engine. The A8L is nice but a little boring for its price and bold looks.

9. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    What answer do you think your going to get in a Ferrari chat site? Performance is the primary issuse for most here. You would have to give us more to go on about what your looking for to give you any other answer. I have driven the S500 and S55 not the Audi. The S500 has plenty of power for your wife. That said, it isn't enough for me. I have a suggestion, since your wife is savvy on the dif between the S500 and S55. Go with the S600.... I have driven this also and it has more power, better feel then the S55, more torque....IMO. Just tell her your sensitive to her issues and you think the S55 is to fast. But, the S600 has the comfort features in the rear seats your looking for. You should be able to find an '03 for around $100k. Also, I was told when an S600 goes in for service it goes to the front of the line.

Good luck

E

10. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    That's great, if it comes off the line first too! S600 would be very, very nice.

Although I would try LAFun's recommendation and check out the Lexus LS; your wife might be happy enough with it, it won't break (least defects in auto industry) and you can pocket the other $40k for more toys.

11. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Hey now! I didn’t recommend the LS430. Its a great car, and should be considered if reliability is a concern. However, I don’t have 100K to drop and that is probably the car I would get. My personal recommendation would be the S55/S600. To me these two S classes are the sluts of the sedan world. They are hot, good looking, high maintenance, and b i t c h y. They are fun to be around, depending on their mood, but always pleasurable company. The LS430 on the other hand will do everything well but without a flair. No one sleeps at night and lusts after the LS. Its more like what you want your wife to be. Its good overall, but packs 20-30 extra pounds, and is not the ultimate looker.

Also remember this is Los Angeles, and german/italian are considered luxury cars. People here look down upon Japanese stuff.

I won’t forget last year when my boss was shopping for his 996TT. He has a boxter S, e55, and couple of other toys. I suggested looking at an NSX, and he looked at me straight in the face and said “successful people don’t drive Japanese.” Lol.

So you gotta take many things into account. I still say S55/S600 >Audi A8 all day long.

12. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    the s600 would be choice straigt up however she is afraid of the distinct possibility of speeding tickets. we travel to mammoth every winter and the car would need to be able to handle unpaved snow covered roads, our cabin is on private property and we don't always get it plowed. the highest we'll let it get is about 8" then i'll have the local guy come pack it down.
    also since we have have a place up in No.Cal now going to taho in the winter will also be a factor.

the MB dealer didn't know how much snow one could drive through. other than that it'll be mostly a daily driver for her as she travels between hospitals and the office, lots of commuter miles. so i wanted her to get something that wouldn't start to annoy you after spending the day on the road. the A8L and the S class came to mind. i favor the S class only becouse it has some neat features that the A8 does not; i.e. remote start/ we have a toddler and if your hands are full it's nice to not have to fish for the keys. but it's only a minor issue really. she's big on the gas milage becouse of the daily travel, probably 50-75miles a day.

i do realise that the majority here are all for the AMG or the 600, i have my fix for speed/power. but my wife isn't really into that rush one gets from hurtling down the highway at idioc speeds like myself.

when you say b i t c h y are you infereing that the MB has big reliabilty concerns? this would be a lease so long term issues i'm not that concerned about. i guess what it comes down to is the MB worth the extra 20g over the A8?

13. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Scott,

I'm out...... going on unpaved snow covered roads. That's what my Grand Cherokee is for. You might want to consider the 4-matic E500 or S class

14. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    I've had my C36 in snow :D . I assume you could have an S55 in snow, just be careful with the extra torque and leave the traction/stability control on. In fact, with the ASR, it was pretty much a walk in the park in 3-4 inches of snow. Hardest part? Getting it moving. ;)

As for living with an AMG on a daily basis, I definitely like it. It's gonna ride tougher than it's non-AMG counterpart (though I've been in a new S600 several times and it's not that great either), plus it sets a bit lower so watch those dips and bumps.

15. Get an S500 4matic if you need the traction in the winter to go up to your cabin. The S600 is a beast when chipped it can easily put down 600+HP it is a very fine car extreamly smooth looks everything is perfect about it.

16. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Have you considered the Maserati Quattroporte? I am not sure if your wife would like a F1 transmission. They should be available very soon and it has received great reviews. They start at less than $100K and I think it looks better than A8L and an S500. I have been in A8L and the interior is beautiful. I think if you go with the Audi your wife would be very happy. Someone else mentioned that if reliability is what you are looking for than definitely go w/ an LS430. It does everything well. I am not a fan of the S500. I think it is too much money for what you get and it is due for a restyle next year. That should cause the depreciation to be even more than usual. Let us know what you decide.

17. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    yes i wanted to get a quatroporte, but the local dealer said the wait was already 2yrs. i'll need another car by sep/oct.

18. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

You can get a speeding ticket on a 3 cylinder geo, so that should not be a concern. Heck you can get your license suspended without a car. My college roomate got 2 moving violations on his bicycle and one on his skateboard, so no license for a year.

Get a Range Rover 4.6 HSE or put snow chains on the S class. No biggie.

Get the s class, whether it is 500, AMG55, or 600, you will be happy. Just dont get the S430.

The MB, especially the S class, isn't the most reliable car out there. THen again it is more reliable then those engine failures that the Boxter S' have. :D
    Its a lease, who cares about reliability. Get the S class, and be happy. :D

The benz is worth 40grand over the Audi.

BTW your screen name is the exact one I saw on a plate in Carmel about a year ago, on a then new M3.

19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Does the A8L have Quattro AWD?

What about an RS6? Gives the camping/cabin hauling with the wagon and some gitup'ngo. I'm sure it would tear through a lot of snow. Maybe your wife wants a more elegant cruiser though.

Has she written off the Lexus yet? I am not a Lex fan, but it is bulletproof and looks like the old S class, which I really like. Black on black LS with tinted windows would be posh looking.

This just made me think about this nice '04 azure on cream S500 down the street from us... it has caught my wife's eye and now her tastes are slowly moving from VW to MB, which is good and bad :).

20. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Yes I believe an A8 can be had with a quattro but don't quote me on that.

RS6 is in a diff class than the A8/S class. That is more in the 5 series/E55 class and much smaller, thus I don't think its a good comparison.

Black on black LS with some 19 inch wheels and a tad lowering, does look mean. Called the VIP look in Japan. Look up waldusa for pics. :D

Ryan,

I can picture your wife in a SL65 AMG, yummy photo that is :D

21. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Depends on how much you want to loose on depreciation. I've been there, done that with the S class. Plan on it being worth about 1/3 of original sticker after about 6 years. These things are keys out of a Lear jet. Audi's are worse in that I've seen plenty of the first generation (read 98's) in the low teens now. Don't expect the AMG model to hold its value much better.

The service from the last three MB dealers I've used has turned me off of the marque forever.

But at the end of the day, its your money...

22. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Don't chose a S500 or 430 over the LS430, it's not a good financial move, I don't understand why people do it.

The LS430 is faster or just fast as, cheaper, and more comfortable! :D

Audi's are and will always be the weird guys car to me.

AMG's are god cars. Nuff said. 600.. that fast.. should be an AMG. :D

23. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    If you are willing to get a Quattroporte from an out of state dealer I bet you could find one somehwere for MSRP and get it by Sept./Oct. The Quattroporte is a relatively unknown car to most of the public . I bet that there are still some new Quattroporte being shipped that do not have a buyer yet.

24. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    that would be worth investigating, i wonder if FNA would locate a dealer with one or would i have the ardius task of calling around? so its down to...

quatroporte Vs. S600

oh and the A8 is quatro drive. that alone is a big plus but we would only really need it once a year. now the A8 i really want is the A8L 6.0 W12 but none of the dealers know that it exists, yet i saw a great write up on one???

in regards to your roomate loosing his license without a car thats far to funny and must really suck having to explain that one. yes my wife could get a speeding ticket in geo metro but the propensity for her to is much greater when she has the extra power to do so. it's a classic example of absolute power corrupts absolutly. she's just gonna have to learn control(hahahaha) thats rich coming from someone like me who really has next to none.

25. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    The A8 only come in all wheel drive. Not sure if this matters to you but thr current S class in nearing the end of its model life and the new cross between the E class and the S class CLS I thinks its called is right around the corner. I have been doing the samething with my wife, we had a spot on the Maserati list (wife is having twins not enough trunk space) so be are looking again. The new XJR is alot of car for the money, I am not a Jag fan (wife has a VDP now) but it was not a bad drive. she is leaning towards the 7 series or waiting for the new Mercs