Cayenne S Owners | FerrariChat

Cayenne S Owners

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by PCH, Jun 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    I'm considering the purchase of a used '04 Cayenne S as my daily driver and would appreciate any comments from owners.

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    My wife has a Turbo which she got last Aug. It now has 28K miles. Rain, snow, mud. Super, Super vehicle. I'd def. go for the air suspention if possible. I like it very much. So much so I bought a Tourag for my daughter.
    Got air suspention on that one too. If I could just have one vehicle I'd have a Cayenne.

3. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Drew,

Good thing you are buying used, as they seem to have one of the worst depreciation known to man.

As far as the air suspension goes, that is definitely worth looking at, but depends on your need for it and use for it.

Are you leasing or buying? Are you planning to keep the car for a while? Look at the cayenne owners in 6speedonline. There have been quite a few that have had air suspension problems, and module failures. Some dealers can't even align it right. I know of a guy on that site, that was driving with his front right side almost 3 inches lower because of messed up module.

Other than that, great car.

Good luck, looking forward to meeting you one of these days.

4. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Hmmm, that doesn't sound very good! Actually the S I was looking at does have air suspension.....Wonder how predominant these problems are? It's a untitled demo with 6K miles and their offereing it 10K below MSRP. Sounded fair to me. I'll definately check further into this. Thanks guys!

5. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I drove have driven an S pretty hard on pavement. I have been off-roading in foot-deep snow. I have been on long trips. I have been around town.

The thing does it all. It's fast, comfortable, the Tiptronic controls on the steering wheel work well. Nav works well - but, Porsche nav doesn't let you enter addresses that are on Routes, which is annoying. I agree that you should go with the air suspension. It's a great little option. In sport mode, it corners on rails. And, I also think that the car LOOKS much better when it is on the setting that is just lower than standard. I would leave it at that height. So, even in terms of looks, it's a good option.

6. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Lafun,

Do you have first-hand knowledge about that depreciation and all the reliability problems the Cayenne is having? There seem to be rampant stories around on the internet by people that don't want Porsche to succeed?

My 15 month old 2004 Cayenne Turbo with 22K miles is a great car, so much better than the X5 I had before that. The only problem it had until now is that the computer keeps resetting itself, so I lose the seat memory. Oh, yes, also the plastic cover from the rear wiper hinge keeps coming off. That is the extend from my troubles. I havn't heard about any problems that Jim's wife has.

7. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I looked at the Porsche C - Non Turbo when I was in the market for an SUV a little over a year ago. I decided to go with the Infiniti FX45 instead. Pound for Pound against the Non Turbo Porsche - it was hands down. For a little under 50K - I got the FX45 with Technology Package - and might I say - it has some excellent gizmos: Adaptive Cruise Control, Navigation with Birds Eye View (3D Nav), No Keys to deal with (has a fob), DVD, Great Stereo, 20 Inch Wheels and 315 Horse Power.

The all wheel drive is great, the car is smooth and very quick, great in all conditions, etc.

I am a pretty big Porsche fan - but for the money and gizmos - I went with the FX. And I could not stand infiniti until this car - they seem to be coming out with better cars, style, and bang for the buck lately.

I have put about 32K on it in the last year - going from Cincy to Ann Arbor once per week - and it has held up well.

The used FX45's are in the low 40's High 30s - pretty good deal - if you are looking for alternatives. And that is one car you will get a lot of looks - I get just about as many as I do in my F-car.

8. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Thanks Richard. I'll consider that option.

9. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    "Good thing you are buying used, as they seem to have one of the worst depreciation known to man."

Hi Ryan, I haven't really seen that. I've been checking the prices at the usual stops, ebay, cars.com, autotrader and personally I feel the depreciation is no greater than the others in its class. Actually I think the MB GWagen is the most difficult to resell and takes the biggest hit of all.

10. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    10,000$ under MSRP?

I was able to get that on a Turbo brand new. No wear on it from the dealer.

You might be able to get a better deal.

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    My wife's had no problems at all. Both of us love that puppy.

12. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Our law firm has 5 Cayennes, and thus my knowledge on depreciation. I have seen used 1 year old ones go for pretty low prices. You can also search the internet for articles that talk about its depreciation.

As far as the reliability problems, 2 in our office had it , and quite a few owners on 6speed had it. My dad was shopping for one for about a year, and getting all the info turned him away. He ended up with a 4.6 HSE.

It is a great car, and for some people depreciation doesn't matter. Reliability is not a concern to most people buying european anyways. ;)

13. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    "It is a great car, and for some people depreciation doesn't matter. Reliability is not a concern to most people buying european anyways."

Ryan,

Not to be rude, I think your lack of personal experience may put you a bit behind the 8 ball. I believe that there are some individuals where depreciation is of little concern however, reliability is another issue. I buy European cars for their reliability. And after 18 Porsche, 12 Benz's, 4 BMW's, and 3 Ferrari's I'm totally convienced they produce a superior automobile. Regarding the problems you have mentioned with the Cayenne, I believe the % is minimal in comparison to actual vehicles sold throughout the world.

14. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

FWIW......

We've sold 4 used Cayennes in the last 4 months. 3 of the "S" and one "TT"......I personally sold 2 of the "S" models.

While I am not an owner, I have a fair amount of seat time in both the front and the back and can offer the following observations.

The rear seatback angle is painfully uncomfortable for anything over 10 minutes at a time. It is far too upright. This is a major consideration if you need to use those back seats.

It drives great.......really it does......but would you want a 5,500 pound 911 as a daily driver ? The suspension is a little too harsh for me.......or the truck is just too heavy.

I'd buy one instead of the BMW X5.....Mercedes ML......LX470........but not the Mercedes "G" wagen.......which is still my favorite "bling mobile".

15. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Points well taken. Regarding the weight I really don't see that as an issue in the Cayenne specifically. Because of its handling characteristics I really don't notice the weight. And yes, the ride is a bit harsh however, the performance and handling certainly makes up for that. If my main concern were a luxurious and plush ride I certainly wouldn't be looking at a Porsche anything. Already did the 'G' thing several times and my last was a BRABUS tuned version. Basically a fast refrigerator on wheels. IMO great looker but totally antiquated with regard to fit, finish and performance. Can you really put ML in the sentence as Cayenne? Hmmm....Not in my book. In a different story, I got a call today regarding a '03 E55 which is very close in price to the Cayenne. Now that's got me thinking! Tomorrow I'm going to check it out.

16. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I didn't take it as being rude. No problem Drew. :) I just told you what I saw and know about the cars. My boss's boxter S is on its 3rd motor. Does it mean that all Boxters suck? Of course not. However, if someone asks about Boxters on this board, I will mention it. I think when one buys a car, the more information (good or bad) one has, the better they are for it. There have been numerous 996 carreras and boxter with PSM problems and such. Of course its a small %, but it is a factor when I buy a car. I think everybody on this board is a friend, and all I was doing was lending some info that I had, so you could make an informed choice. :)

Well European Vs. Japanese, when it comes to reliability is no contest, Japanese wins hands down. Reliability is a relative term. SOme people like having a car 10 years and never seeing the dealer aside from maintenance. Some people don't mind that the radio in their Porsche never works, and they have to take it into the dealer 3 times a year. Its all perception.

Yes the problems with the Cayenne maybe minimal, but when spending a large chunk of change, info is good, thats my theory. Take the Mini Cooper S for example. If you read the forum boards you will find, they have a very thinly built windshield, and cracking is a problem, and they have a acceleration "stumble" issue. Many people have been turned off buying the car because of this. Many of my friends have similar problems, but my car has neither. Like Napolis said, his has been problem free. THus there are anomolies in everything, but knowing is better than not knowing in my book.

I apologize if I have harmed in any way your purchase of this vehicle.

17. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

PCH....

Our roads up here are probably not like yours. We get 4 seasons here and 20 degree celcius temperature variances within 24 hours in the winter....it plays havoc with the road surfaces and ground soil. I should have mentioned that......the Cayenne really rides/handles great on our good roads though.......but it is still too heavy IMHO........by at least 500 pounds.

As for ML's I was referring to the AMG ML55 variant or the ML500.

Good luck regardless. You'll love the E55's power !!

18. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Thanks Ryan, its ALL good!

19. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    NO CONTEST.....I PICK UP THE E55 ON THURSDAY!

20. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I don't mean to be rude nor ignorant so please don't be offended, but may I ask what is the motivation to buy SPORT SUV? To me, these 2 words contradict each other.

SUV is to load more people or cargo than regular sedan. Height makes better driving view. I don't really get why you want to drive SUV like sports car as it sounds dangerous.

SUV is getting smaller lately for some reasons, and isn't that nimble enough for driving? (compared w/ Excursion, Expedition, Explorer size)

I'm driving ML360 right now, and considering to switch to FX45, Tourage, MDX or wait for Audi's Twin Peak (or something sounds like that), but not looking for faster speed nor more power, which bring up the cost. They look good, drives comfortably for daily, and priced better in $40Ks.

I see some posts on Ferrari/Lambo SUV, and wondering why people want that kind of SUV. I'm hoping to get some insight that I don't have right now.

PCH, please don't misunderstand my curiosity as offense to you, as I don't mean that at all.