Water Spots | FerrariChat

Water Spots

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by LAfun2, Jun 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I didn't see a proper place to put this thread, so I am putting it here. Mods, if there is another place it should be, please kindly move it.

So I took my bright red car out to a friends house last sunday. It was nicely washed and waxed. Well while there, the car got hosed by some sprinklers leaving terrible water spots. It dried on the car because of the california sun. I didn't have time rest of the week to wash the car, as it sat in the garage.

This morning I took it out to give it a nice wash to get the water spots out. Unbeknownst to me, the waterspots are still there. I tried a little meguiars quick polish on one area, to no avail. I then used a bit of meguairs gold class wax on same area, and the water spots still didn't move. They seem to be deeply embedded in the paint.

Do anyone know how I can go about getting the water spots out? My car looks shiny and clean from afar, but up close, there are terrible water spots.

Please help. I would rather not take it to a professional detailer right away, but do it on my own. If not, then detailer will have to be.

-Ryan

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Yea, Meguiar's cleaner wax. Use elbow grease or an orbital polisher.

3. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Is Meguairs cleaner wax a different kind than their gold class wax? Damn, don't have an orbital polisher, because everyone tells me not to buy one. (previous F chat thread).

4. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    you want a cutting polish like t-cut or some compound faraflec you need something with a bit of abbrasive in it os the equilevent what you get over there

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Try Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover.

It's around $5-6 at most stores. I've had great experience with it taking off tree sap, road tar, dried bugs, bird poop and hard water stains.

Give it a try.

6. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Mothers Ultimate wax system stage 2. Thats all.

7. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Just use the cleaner wax, it has a fine abrasive and will polish too. It won't hurt the clear coat. Good luck.

8. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    wow didn't expect so many varied responses! Yikes, now I don't know what to do. Yeah clear coat safe is important.

Ryan, I used to use turtle wax back in the day. :)

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Ryan.

Any good stage 2, or very light abrasive cleaner will do it. Had the same problem on a guards red Porsche.

I used 3M swirl remover for dark paint, it's thinner and cuts less. Then come back with your favorite wax or acrylic and away you go. You can go by hand with the 3M, but it will take a lot longer. Be sure to use a foam applicator, not cloth on the orbital or by hand.

I've also used Griots Garage cleaner with success, and Meguiars, etc. Just make sure to get something with a light abrasive, and test it somewhere inconspicuous first, just to make sure.

10. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Thanks for that. I actually do have a 3M swirl remover for light colored cars I bought for another of my car (per JaguarXJ6's) recommendation. It worked wonders on the light car, but I tried it on the red car, and it didn't work. Also with 3M I can't get it locally, have to always order it online so that is a problem.

I will try the stage 2 you guys suggested. Does it say stage 2 on the bottle/container and can it be found at any automotive store?

Thanks again for all the help.

11. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Start with the least aggressive! First try a cleaner wax with a moderate cleaning action, then a paint cleaner, then a mild swirl remover like Meguiar's #9.

If Meguiar's #9 and some elbow grease with a microfiber applicator will not remove them, let me know, and I could try something with a dual action polisher.

FYI, using the Medallion Paint Cleaner from Meguiar's and LOTS of patience and effort, I was able to remove extremely heavy spotting from an '00 Metallic Green Jetta that my friend's wife owns and was parked in front of sprinklers every day for 8 months.

In most cases, you don't need an aggressive compound unless the car gods wanted to punish you and it damaged the clear coat (etched and stained). That is something a dual action polisher can take out with a little time/effort.

Sunny

12. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    You might have to order stage 2 online. The #9 I recommended is a little more aggressive, you might be able to use a paint cleaner to remove most of it and the swirl remover and some elbow grease with a microfiber applicator (spongey covered in microfiber) to remove the etching.

A dual action polisher will make quick work removing water spots. I love mine, I think Dave does too :)

13. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Thanks SUnny. This was the thread I was going to send you. I will try the cleaner.

14. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Well then bring it by, since now I have two cars that need attention. :D

15. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    The dual action polisher I bought to remove paint defects for situations like this, scratches that accumulate due to road debris, etc has turned out to be an incredible investment. Today is a lazy day for me, my buddy and I are going out to get some lunch here soon and the rest of the day is open if you want to meet.

Sunny

16. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    sorry couldnt get back to you today. I have three friends form NYC that I had to pick them up.

But like I said I willl be available all weekend for the next 3 months. So just holla or send me a Pm or email and sand lets meet up. Thanks man, will appreciate it. lunch will be certainly on me. Least I can do. :)

17. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    A Cleaner Wax should do the trick. Meguirs Gold Wax is only a wax.