Atlanta SCCA Auto-X pics | FerrariChat

Atlanta SCCA Auto-X pics

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by whitlock, Jun 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whitlock

whitlock Karting

Mar 24, 2004
    ATL
    Full Name:
    Whitlock
    #1 whitlock, Jun 27, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So today I headed off to Turner Field to go to the Atlanta region SCCA auto-x. I met up with Mitch and a few others down there and watched some awesomely fast cars tear through the course. Well, standing on the sidelines SUCKED!!! I was just wishing I was out there killing some cones too! Next time... though, it seems they have the auto-x's pretty regularly down here.... time to join the SCCA for me. Here are a few pics of some of the Itallians that ran... and a my favorite porsche. Hope to see some f-chatters out there next time!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    Man, nice pics. Looks like you'll have a good turnout down there. Up here we don't get jack. I'll have to come down for the next one. You know when it is?

- Andy

3. whitlock

whitlock Karting

Mar 24, 2004
    ATL
    Full Name:
    Whitlock
    The next one at Turner Field is August 7-8, but there is another one July 10-11 at Gwinnett County fairgrounds. Check out www.atl-scca.org for more info. Hope to see you there next time!!!

4. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Yeah had a great time at the autocross. I had a blast! Made me want to run SO badly. Just think of the fun in a street prepared Rabbit GTI or a 280Z? Cheap fun! Terry Springer was very fast in his lovely 911S. That car sounds so good. See you at the next autocross for sure.

5. GarnetRedCoupe

GarnetRedCoupe Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great pics dave, what year is that S? sooooo hot. Did you run you car?

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    ! great pics!

7. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Great Pics, Thanks for posting!

The Maroon 911S is mine. Its a '69 911S with a 2.6 liter mechanically injected engine, 10.2:1 Mahle P/C, 906 style sprint cams, SSI and Dansk exhaust and trick MFI pump and throttle bodies. Its good for about 225hp or so. The chassis was stripped of all sound deadening and undercoating including all of it in the interior. The interior has the RS type door panels (pull cord to open, no pockets or anything) and an RS style felt carpet kit. Basically.... lightweight felt glued in place on base metal all over and lightweight racing seats. The front hood and front/rear bumpers are fiberglass. With a full tank of gas it corner balanced out at 2100lb.

It has full racing suspension from Smart Racing Products thats adjustable in all the ways you need. IT uses the stock pickup points and such so I can run in a street prepared class. When I take it club racing in PCA and HSR I will probably add glass doors.

This was the very first time I have had it out since getting it all back together, really a shake down run. I had a flat tire upon arrival at turner field and we didnt even get to walk the coarse. We got the flat fixed just in time to make the first runs. I got MASSIVE help from guys running there. SCCA really has some class acts. Guys I had never even met before sacrificing their chance to walk the coarse to help me fix a flat... I was amazed at the generosity of folks there!

I DNF'd my first 4 runs.... missing the same gate at the end of the coarse. I didnt know where I was missing it! The last run I got a 33.8 something that was good for 3d in EP. If the car were better setup and I was on game, I think getting into the 31s would have been possible.

Next time out... less air in the rear tires, front anti-roll bar set 2 notches stiffer and I will carry the spare tire up front to help with the weight bias. I will probably be running in A Street Prepared, which is where all 911s get put apparently no matter what year or engine capacity!

Ill be at Gwinnett for the next round! Yall come out, Autocross is really a hoot!

Terry

8. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Yes, the Gwinnett autocross is July 11th I think.

9. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason

Are any of you'll goin to go to that one? I need to get out of Greenville, and I miss Atlanta lol. Might swing by FoA too since I haven't been there in a long time.

- Andy

10. whitlock

whitlock Karting

Mar 24, 2004
    ATL
    Full Name:
    Whitlock
    Terry- your car is absolutely amazing! I'd love to pick up a pre-74 911T or S some point down the road and make it an auto-x car and mountain driver.

Not sure if I can make the Gwinnett event due to work but I'm planning on making a few runs at the next Turner field event!

11. WJC

WJC Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe C.
    I was meeting a group of people over at a friend's house that is right next to the Orange Parking lot and since everyone wasn't there, I decided to check out the racing. I didn't stay long because everyone showed up but I saw the yellow Fiat that you have a picture of. He was pretty fast, didn't see any of the other cars run. I was looking for Scott Siegel and his wife with their Matrix XRS but I didn't see them. I would love to go to the next events but I am having knee surgery this Friday so I am not going to be able to move too much.

Joe C.

12. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    Folks.........If you're interested in some more AutoX events, the PCA (peachstatepca.org), and BMW (peachstatebmwcca.org) put them on every other month up at the GCFairgrounds. PCA starts about 11am, BMW about 930am, and both on Sundays'.

Nice thing is, they alternate each month, so there is always an event up there, plus the lot is LARGE and providing for some nice layouts.

YOU TO have to pre-register for the BMW event (on their website), and for the PCA event try to secure a AutoX# first (on their website).

If you've never done an AutoX........its a blast!

Bob

13. Siegel Racing

Siegel Racing Rookie

Jun 7, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Scott Siegel
    Joe, I'd have been there but the wife and I were in Chicago visiting the P's. Just FYI to everybody the next SCCA auto-cross is at Talladega Gran Prix August 1st... it's a blast. Not as much fun as a Siegel Racing Driver Instruction clinic there, but almost ;).

Also, the PCA and BMWCCA events are great. They're a little more laid-back than the SCCA events, but of course they have less cars. Either way, it's a great way to spend a (half) day.

SS

14. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hi Terry,
    I saw you running at Gwinnett! That was the first autocross I've been to in two years. I was co-driving Ben Thatcher's Corvette in SM2, had a blast! I had to sell my 914 track car a while back and haven't been able to get in any wheel time for a while. My wife came along too and went for several rides. Now she has the bug and wants a toy too. :)

I wish I had realized a fellow f-chatter was there and I would have said hello. Your 911 looks great and sounds even better. Hope to see you at another one.

Mark

15. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    The next SCCA autocross event is this coming weekend, August 1 at Talladega GP track in Alabama. They use the whole track and use cones to define the coarse on the track. Makes for a long and very fun autocross!

Ill be taking the 911S. Anyone else interested in going? Im actually hoping to recruit some "crew".... thats code speak for someone who is going to help carry my track wheels! I dont want to drive all the way to Alabama on the track tires.

BTW.... the PCA autocross last weekend at Gwinnett was a blast. I got first in class M3 :)

Terry