Reinstalling carbs: New insulator block *AND* "Base Gasket"? | FerrariChat

Reinstalling carbs: New insulator block *AND* "Base Gasket"?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Jan 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    With the rebuild kit that Pierce Manifolds used on my carbs came with an "Insulator Block" (A 3mm gasket-like piece of hard plastic that the Ferrari parts manual calls a "Distanziale, " or Spacer, in Table 14 of the 78 308 parts manual.

The kit also contained a "Base Gasket," which is the exact pattern and shape of the spacer ring but is made of 1/2mm grey standard gasket-like material.

These base gaskets weren't originally on the car, and aren't called for in the parts manual. My guess is, they're designed to go inbetween the carb and the thick plastic insulator block. Are they of use?

--Mike

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Mike -- I think it might be a "use either" case (depending on application -- like if the stock carb studs weren't long enough to accomodate the Distanziale), not a "use both" case. IME, the thermal insulator 103786 (Distanziale) has the gasket material bonded to both surfaces so you shouldn't need to add yet another gasket.

3. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Steve,

Thanks for the post. It all makes sense now. You're exactly correct, the Spacer/Distanziale does in fact have gasket material bonded to BOTH sides.

I knew from my reading that it can be important to have a gasket on either (or both) sides--what I didn't realize is that it already HAS it there, as you've pointed out.

I'm proceeding with the install without using the second supplied gasket material, and am using only the Insulator Block / Spacer / Distanziale with gaskets on either side, as the parts manual calls for.

Thanks for your timely help--as always, Steve, you're in invaluable resource to the community here.

--Mike

4. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    I had to use gaskets, as I reused the spacers and I doubt the surfaces would have sealed very well. I scraped off the ultra thin factory gasket material.

5. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Is there a part number for this base gasket? I should think you'd need 2 if you were re-using the spacer.
    It sounds like the spacer can't be re-used without using a new gasket, huh?
    I'll be digging into it soon and want to know what to order, thanks!

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    You're reinstalling carbs....on your 328?

7. slewman

slewman Karting

May 4, 2004
    Mike, check the carb's bases for warpage. You may have to lap them or mill them.

8. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    You should not need to use the gaskets if the spacer is in good shape. Use of an incredibly thin layer of Hylomar or other sealant will do the job on re-installation. At least with Hylomar, the spacer material will not be damaged when removing in the future. With other kinds of sealant (like Permatex), if the engine is warm/hot, they'll come off without damaging the spacers.

The spacers (at least the ones on my car, phenolic/bakelite material) have a paper gasket permanently bonded to each side, these should be in good shape, but could be saturated with fuel varnish if really old. Those might be able to be re-used, but that's a judgement call when you look at them there-and-then.

9. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Don just brought up this really old thread... Pre 328! :)

10. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    <sigh> OK, thanks, I'll assess what I've got when I take it apart.

And it looks like I shouldn't have hijacked this old thread to ask my question, now I've confused everyone! sorry!

11. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Don't worry about that Don. Its good that once in a while an old thread comes up, which saves the same topic being posted new over and over again.

Let us know what you find when you get in there.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I hate sealant and the danger of using a sealant on the intake side of an engine is that it gets sucked into the engine.

Me thinks the manufacture knows best and stick with a gasket (but scrape off old ones first) ... unless you have seriously ported the manifold and thus you want to get 100% dead smooth inlet ports without a gasket step ... then I would use a really thin sealer and ensure the engine is not run until dry and all excess removed (especially on the inside of the ports).

Pete's opinion

13. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Pete, you seem to have missed my stressed point of "incredibly thin" comment on sealant. I am aware of the affects of ingesting sealant (not me, the engine) and therefore pointed that out. True, one doesn't need to use sealant, but it does help.

I should post a picture next time of how much is of how little...

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    My appologes :) ... but I have to admit I don't use sealant anywhere near carbs, but each to their own. Sealants have improved massively and I formed my opinion of sealant many years ago, when it was black and ugly stuff ;)

Pete's opinion only

15. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ahh yes... No carbs on the new 328 :).

New thick, plastic base gaskets came with the rebuild kit Pierce Manifolds used, and they sent them on to me. I did use the new ones... I think I saved the old ones and sent them on to Michael Morrett (thecarreaper). We're talking about the 1mm thick plastic things, not a simple "wafer thin" paper-like gasket.

I did not use any sealant. I feel like I was getting some air in there in the beginning, but after a week of driving things settled down to normal. Not sure if this makes sense, but this was how it was...