Any more news on Alfa in US? | FerrariChat

Any more news on Alfa in US?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by yesod, Jun 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yesod

yesod Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Lakeland,fl
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Anyone heard anything? I really hope it happens soon.

2. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I wish, but I doubt it.

Dom

3. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    Last I heard was that if its going to happen, it wont be until 2008 or 2009. Bummer, but better late than never.

4. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    The last official posting on ALFA digest was 2009. All though with FIAT's current financial condition and GM trying to get out of their obligation, it's not looking good for ALFA.

5. artn

artn Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    As a long time Alfa fan, I certainly hope they are headed back to the US soon. I heard that Alfa will be putting out an AWD replacement for their 156 series cars in the near future, so we'll see if they design the car with the US market in mind.

I was hoping that Alfa was holding a "dress rehersal" for re-entering the US market by distributing their cars in Mexico, but who knows.

Still though, if they can't price the cars competitively, I think Alfa could prove to be a huge flop. As much as I love their 147 hatchback, I don't think I would want to pay a huge premium over a similar Golf. Their 156 sedan looks beautiful, but I wouldn't think most Americans would pay a premium over the very established 3 series, esp. if they remain FWD. For fun, I looked up Alfa's pricing in Mexico, but I recall there being a pretty substantial markup over EC prices (near $30K for a mid grade twin spark 147?).

On a related note, I read somewhere that a study conducted by Renault (done prior to buying a chunk of Nissan) revealed that it would cost them US$3-4 billion to re-enter the US market. Don't know how that figure was calculated nor what it includes, but a pretty big figure nonetheless (yeah, how much profit does the big 3 make selling cars in the US?..).

-art

6. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    The cost of entry into the US market for Alfa Romeo is too high. The volumes required to sustain Alfa in the US market that were calculated in the last study made it virtually impossible. The US market simply did not hold the capacity to purchase the cars that were clearly designed for the European Market. That coupled with the financial woes of the FIAT group makes the numbers hard to work. :(

7. ForzaMe

ForzaMe Rookie

Mar 8, 2004
    It's a big price tag, but it does sound reasonable- they have to build their dealerships from scratch, hire and train service, and marketing is gonna be a *****- U.S. consumers who remember Alfa think it's total trash, and they have to compete with all the other big-name luxury brands. So they have to dig themselves out of a ditch first before they can start competing with the Germans. So they probably won't be seeing any profit for a few years.

I read that Alfa has canceled coming to the US because of Fiat's financial problems. Which really sucks major ass because when I heard Alfa was coming to the US, I was really hoping to get a 156GTA.

Have you seen the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione Concept? Damn, what a sexy car!