365 GTC / 330 GTC | FerrariChat

365 GTC / 330 GTC

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Sempre_gilles, Jun 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Last Saturday I bought a 1:43 scale model from BBR (RGM 014A). Both the description on the box and plint says it is a "Ferrari 365 GTC 1969". But there is something strange to this model: it has side vents like the 330 GTC and nose mounted retractable spot lights identical to those on the 330 GTC Speziale of princess de Rethy.

Of course there is the possibility that simply BBR made a mistake and the model is wrong, but in most cases they model an existing car. Anyone familiar with a 365 GTC as described above?

2. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I don´t know the particular car, but I have seen both 365 GTC´s as 330 GTC´s which do not have the air-vents at all. So perhaps there are indeed examples of 365 GTC´s which do have the air-vents. (and I own a model of a 275 GTS with the air vents, but that´s another story alltogether :D )

Besides that, knowing the research BBR does, I find it hard to believe they would make such an obvious mistake.

Be that as it may, it would be interesting to hear from people who actually do know the cars (and perhaps even own them).

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Just a thought: 1966-1967 365 GT California? It has retractable fog lights. However, it is a convertible and has Dino style vents in the door/rear quarter.

Can you post a picture?

Regards,

Art S.

4. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    a 365GTC's engine bay vents are in the rear corners of the bonnet and are flat black

5. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    does anyone know what happened to the bright fuschia 365GTC for sale last year that was advertised as having been owned/customized for Moroccan royalty? where did it go?

6. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    This is the only picture of the scale model I have.

7. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    To summarise my question: is there a 365 GTC with

- side vents like a 330 GTC and
    - retractable headlights like the 330 GTC Speciale of princess de Rethy

and if the answer is yes, what is the s/n (pictures of the real car will be welcome!)

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I was just browsing through some old threads when I came across this one. Frankly, I'm surprised that no one was able to answer your question.

Anyway, the car represented by your model is 330 GTC s/n 09571. At the front, the body is identical to that of 09439, the de Rethy speciale. The rest of the car, however, is pretty much standard 330 GTC faire with the exception of a single rear bumper and the omission of a speedometer (tachometer is larger than normal).

Sorry to be so late in responding and I hope this information is still helpful.

9. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Wayne, it sure is. Thanks a lot!

10. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Lately I spend quite some time in building my own Ferrari database. While scanning an old issue of Cavallino (76, page 26) I found some info on non standard 330 GTC models. This article also includes some pictures of 09571 which I compared with the 1:43 scale model. The front side of the model is indeed exactly 09571, but the rear end is not. As stated by Wayne and the Cavallino article, 09571 has a single rear bumper while the model car has two smaller half bumbers (in fact, the rear bumper is stock 365 GTC). Now I am puzzled again, does the model represent an unknown different car or is the rear end of the model wrong???

11. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I'm certain that the model is wrong. There were no other cars similar to this one. My guess is that it was probably based on a photograph that failed to show the rear bumper so the modeler assumed that it had a standard GTC rear end.

12. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    just purchased last month by Paul Forbes Costa Mesa CA