September 24th, 1983... | FerrariChat

September 24th, 1983...

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 134282, Jun 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Here's a clip from Autocar magazine, dated 09/24/1983, that our archivist just showed me... It was actually a centerfold-type spread over two pages, but after scanning them in & putting them together, i had to reduce it... i just thought it was something cool...

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Looks like Arnoux' car. Very kewl.

3. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Very "cool' indeed! :D

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Not long ago one of these entered a classic car race at Eastern Creek race track in Sydney ... :D

Because it was only a club day my father and I were able to get right down into the pit garage and have a real close look while they tried to fix a cutting out issue.

Awesome stuff. Unfortunately due to noice restrictions the car just puttered around so as not to come on boost and make a lot of noice. It did accidentally once and lets just say all of a sudden it made 4 times the noice and you could not hear any other car :D :D :D :D

Can't remember the drivers name on the car ... think it did indeed start with an A. Have to look at my photos ;)

Pete's seen one up and personal
    ps: A 275GTB was there in the car park too!!

EDIT: I think it might have been a different model, because I do not remember the turbos being inside the V ... ?

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Probably was a different car. The turbo cars are very rare to be actually running. I have never seen one running since the Scuderia run them. They're really hard to get going, which is why their market value is relatively low. The best F1 cars were from the seventies from a fun/money perspective.

Heck I'd be happy with an ATS with a Cosworth.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It was definitely a Turbo Ferrari F1!!! and yes they had a lot of trouble keeping it running. It stopped atleast once while we were there out on the track ... :(

I count myself lucky to have seen one running and up this close :D

Pete's happy
    ps: Will post photos ... if I still have them ;)

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ok, I'm showing off now: I bet you haven't been as close to it as I was. Monaco back in 84 down at the swimming pool complex. Back in those days they let fans stand behind the armcos, just like the stewards these days. I had to wear ear plugs, but better yet: I had to use my wide angle lens to capture the cars! Would you believe it? Arnoux about 6 feet away from me in his Ferrari at full throttle (ok, half throttle, but still). And the whirrrrr of the KKK turbos. Priceless memories.

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Awesome!, but sorry I win ;) ... in the closeness debate :D :D

I was able to touch, kneel down and stick my head anywhere I liked ... the only difference was this car is now just an old F1 car. When you were that close it was the current Ferrari F1 beast ... so I'll call it a draw ... and you heard it allowed to rev out ...

Funny thing is that I did not post the photos on this site. Will check my computer at home and if I still have the photos will post them ... I only have a cheap digital camera so it can only take something like 12 photos, and there were lots of interesting cars ... :(

The luckiest thing is that we were not really expecting much to be at the track, we just went out to have a look because I had heard there was some sort of classic meeting. Nearly did not go! and did not expect such quality ... :D

Pete would love to own any old F1 car ...

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ok, how close is this: Villeneuve's Ferrari during practice for the German GP 81 and Arnoux in the successor car to the one NNO posted: 84 in Monaco. Note the distortion caused by the wide angle lens...
    :)

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Thats close ;). I have remembered where the photos are and it was my Fathers digital camera that we were using. I have asked him to send them over (he lives in a different country ... but thanks to email no big deal).

Anyway hopefully I will be able to post the photos ... not to win the closeness competition :D ... but so we can discuss the model and ex-driver, etc.

Pete

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Tifosi12,

Dad came through with the photos. Looks like it was an Alboreto (sp?) car:

Pete

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Awesome shots! Missing the massive air intake, so definitely a turbo car. Way cool. What a sight!

I have to admit, that I have a hole in live F1 watching in the late eighties. Was too busy with college etc, so no pics from that era.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Tifosi12,

Note the 2 black air inlets on each sidepod of the car, they feed straight into the turbos (I think).

Pete

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not sure about that. Why would you need that? Turbos get their air from the exhaust, don't they? I thought those are cooling ducts for the rear brakes.

Have to check into that in my Ferrari F1 technology book.

15. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    I belive NNO's pic is of the 126c3/b could be wrong,the turbos and single wastgate are in the centre of the vee and the inlets where the exhaust's are on a say a 355/360 and most cars these days,
    Great pic NNO thank's,
    cheers
    Dale.

16. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #16 Boudewijn, Jul 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    No, that is the 126C2 of 1982. The C2B looked exactly like the C3 in the first cutaway drawing, with shorter sidepods and higher engine cover.

The only difference between the C2B and C3 is that the former still had an aluminum tub and the latter had carbon-fiber.

Here is a photo of Pironi's C2 that I shot in Montreal in 1982. You'll notice it looks exactly like this last drawing.

18. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #18 Boudewijn, Jul 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No turbos use the exhaust to spin a fan that the sucks clean air in and pressurises the inlet manifold ... just like a supercharger. The advantage is that the turbo is using spent exhaust gas and takes less hp than a supercharge.

And yes those air inlets go directly to the inlet side of the turbo. Have a look at a MP4 McLaren same deal ... :)

Pete

20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It's either a C2B or a C3; as I said they look essentially identical. I recall they switched in mid-season 1983; since I'm guessing that photo was taken at Monaco, it would then be a C2B.

The C2 was a fairly attractive car, but the C2B was hardly that, as were pretty much all the remaining turbo Ferraris. It wasn't until the normally-aspirated 1989 car that real good looks returned to F1 Ferraris.

21. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Here are some more from '83, although not as close/clear.

22. a.v.d.winkel

a.v.d.winkel Karting

Jun 22, 2004
    Best
    Full Name:
    Arjan van der Winkel
    The 126C2B is recognizable at the front suspension; the 126C2 had some bulges from which the wishbones came out of the nosecone. The 126C3 hadn't these bulges and the wishbones were mounted directly on to the nose cone. This difference is the only easy way to find out which car you see on the pictures. This one is a 126C2B (look at the nose and the bulges )