My First Baldwin B253 Filter Experience | FerrariChat

My First Baldwin B253 Filter Experience

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Lawrence Coppari, Jun 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    A couple of weeks ago I purchased several Baldwin B253 engine oil filters for my 1987 328GTS. After 48 hours, the oil pressure gauge still takes between 3 and 4 seconds to register pressure after the engine fires. This is no different from the WIX and FRAM filters I have used for the past 16 years.

With a warm/hot start (about 6 hours), the pressure rises immediately. This is an improvement over the other two brands that were in the 3 second range. However, it would be nice if the pressure would rise that fast for an overnight start.

I have never observed any filter holding its oil when it is mounted upside down. This also is my experience with UFI filters and Mahle filters as well.

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Do the filters have a rubber flap in the opening?

This is a anti-drain back valve and should keep the filter fill of oil. I'm no expert but that is my understanding.

Pete

3. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    They all have the anti drainback flap. The problem is the flap lets the oil slowly flow backwards over an extended period of time. I have never encountered one that held its oil indefinitely. The B253 is an improvement over what I had been using, however.

4. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    yes, it will not hold oil indefinetely, starts after overnight sitting tend to have longer time for the pressure to come up, your issue sounds normal. I would note that when most people say 3-5 seconds I find its more like 1-2 when you put a watch to it :)

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    My experience has been that the anti-drainback valve (flap) seals better after a few hundred miles.

Speculation is it softens under heat & takes a set conforming more closely to the mating surface.

Still lets the oil drain back slowly tho, but generally gets to the point where time to full pressure isn't noticably different between restarting after sitting overnight & just sitting a few minuites. Still takes longer after sitting a week.

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I checked last night when I went out for a drive in my 328 last night. Had be over 24 hours since last start, and the light went out in about 1 second. Keep watching it...and see if it changes. It could be you have the old "bad" Baldwin, and the anti-drainback valve is not working....

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I think you're exactly right. At least it IS an improvement, right?

8. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Yes, it is an improvement.

9. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    sorry to hijack, but is there an online source for the baldwin filters? i need s several RIGHT NOW! :)

10. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    It's actually 3.15 seconds when I put my lap timer to it. Hopefully what Verell said will come to pass. I'm using the car every day now that I have retired.

11. jkuk

jkuk Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    Full Name:
    John K
    Guys,

I think your times are quick.

My 348 feels more like 8-10 secs before the light goes out.

That's after a several days sitting in the garage

Don't know if this normal for the car

John

12. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    One thought yopu may wish to ake into consideration is that the stock oil pressure sender, like most electrical types, uses a metered orifice to dampen the readings. This prevents the gauge from fluttering, as oil pressure is not constant. Unfortunately, it also makes it a bit slow to react. This causes a lag between the time that the pressure is starting to build, and what shows on the dash. Check out the base of the sending unit if you wish to see this. Try unscrewing the stock unit, and temporately replace it with a gauge directly mounted. What it will show is a wildly fluctuating needle, as it does not have the metering.
    Hope this helps put it all in perspective, as it may not be takeing as long for the motor to have pressure as is commonly thought

13. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I have found that with OEM gauges;

A. They are notoriously inaccurate

B. After years of use they accumilate sludge that hampers sensitivity and accurancy even further.

I ran a test on my 308 by tapping a mechanical gauge into the port where the stock sensor goes via a TEE fitting. I started the engine cold and recorded all of the pressures from cold to hot at RPM's from 1,000 to 6,000.

I made comparisons between the mechanical gauge and the one in my instrument cluster to establish a baseline and to calibrate the one in the car.

If your engine is in reasonable shape I think you will find that it achieves pressure sooner than you think.

You might also consider older Chrysler products that utilize a pressure swtich in the ignition circuit that does not allow the engine to fire until there is oil pressure. It usually took less than 20 seconds before the switch was tripped. Wouldn't be a bad feature for a 308 for that matter..

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Good points on the sensitivity and accuracy of the gauges, guys.

Here's where I bought my filters: http://www.go2marine.com.

--Matt

15. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    That's where I bought mine. The delivery to my house was exceptionally fast.

16. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David

Try this link ... type in your zip code and you should get a list of suppliers in your area for some Baldwin products. Some may have the filter that you need.

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/start.html

Hope this helps

Best wishes

17. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    The local Chevron bulk oil distributor in my home town. 9.00

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    [size=+2]20 SECONDS!!!![/size], that is way too long, no wonder they needed to stop her firing until it got oil pressure.

A good idea though ... but there is something strange about those Chrysler engines if they needed to do that and it took 20 seconds. I guess though at starter cranking speeds it would take a lot longer to get oil pressure, but ofcourse the engine is not being stressed like it is when it has spark.

Pete's thoughts

19. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Hey Guys,

Mines a 308, is the # the same???

Thanks, Chris.

20. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    YES, identical.

21. christopher

christopher Formula 3

Nov 29, 2003
    Ontario California
    Full Name:
    Christopher
  22. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thanks to all for the info, i am planning on stocking parts for the 308 as i can, so i dont have to hunt for things when i need them. i am going to order the filters in the next day or so, many thanks for the help!

23. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    wow, i had to reply and say thanks again, there are 5 freaking places near my home, i mean DOWN THE STREET FROM ME that sell Baldwin filters. i should have know this as there are many trucking repair stations here because of the ports. many thanks!!!! i am betting i can get quality radiator / cooling hoses and cut them to length cheaper than the $$$$ ferrari wants. thank you!!!!! :)

24. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    Baldwin has the locator now on the front page at:

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/

Here in the Pacific Northwest Baxter Auto carries their products and nationwide Grainger does.

-steve

25. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    blast from the past, seeing my post from 2004. i am still using Baldwin filter in my 308's !